IGNORED

Should we make felli captain?

Memmaclub

Nev is captain. Anybody else in our team are mere pretenders to the throne. Being a captain isn't offered to appease somebody. It's a man management position, and players need to be capable of doing just that, not to mention being able to communicate with the referee too. With Nev out, I don't see another Nev.

Nev is captain. Anybody else in our team are mere pretenders to the throne. Being a captain isn't offered to appease somebody. It's a man management position, and players need to be capable of doing just that, not to mention being able to communicate with the referee too. With Nev out, I don't see another Nev.

so your saying you would play a 35 year old every game we can just because he's captain, johnny or jags should get it, im fed up of players playing because of captancy we have had it for years we dont have another nev but talkers dont win you a match

so your saying you would play a 35 year old every game we can just because he's captain, johnny or jags should get it, im fed up of players playing because of captancy we have had it for years we dont have another nev but talkers dont win you a match

I didn't say that at all. blink.gif

What I implied was that we have nobody to fill the position as well as Neville does.

Johnny Heitinga captain? On what grounds? It certainly isn't his footballing skills, so perhaps it is his lack of pace, or his ability to foul his opponents?

Jags? On what grounds? His ability to hold his place despite sloppy performances until he finally finds a bit of form? Maybe it's because we have nobody else?

If I was going to give it to any of them, it would probably be Pienaar, as he has captained his country and is fairly vocal when guys mess up. Hibbert would be next.

No. The kind of player you make captain is a consistent, reliable player with preferably an above average performance level. He has plenty of experience and is a respected man in the group. Moreover he ought to have a positive attitude and enough vision for his team.

If Neville's time has come, then who would I suggest? As far as I know their attitudes, I'd suggest Baines or Pienaar and perhaps Jagielka.

No. The kind of player you make captain is a consistent, reliable player with preferably an above average performance level. He has plenty of experience and is a respected man in the group. Moreover he ought to have a positive attitude and enough vision for his team.

If Neville's time has come, then who would I suggest? As far as I know their attitudes, I'd suggest Baines or Pienaar and perhaps Jagielka.

(Fellaini isn't consistent and doesn't always have a proper fighting spirit for more than 15 minutes in a game)

I didn't say that at all. blink.gif

What I implied was that we have nobody to fill the position as well as Neville does.

Johnny Heitinga captain? On what grounds? It certainly isn't his footballing skills, so perhaps it is his lack of pace, or his ability to foul his opponents?

Jags? On what grounds? His ability to hold his place despite sloppy performances until he finally finds a bit of form? Maybe it's because we have nobody else?

If I was going to give it to any of them, it would probably be Pienaar, as he has captained his country and is fairly vocal when guys mess up. Hibbert would be next.

You could use them same grounds against Neville though so that argument doesnt wash.

I think Neville is a brilliant club captain with his attitude and the way he conducts himself. On the pitch, Im not so convinced. He has his moments, but he also goes missing when he need him to rally the troops.

At the end of last year I would have gone for Heitinga because he was leading the defence well, however none of them at the back have made their mark this year. Same applies to Jags.

Pienaar isnt someone who i would trust to stand up and be counted if I am honest, Baines and Hibbert are too quiet, Felli isnt responsible enough for it and the likes of Jela, Mirallas & Naismith havent been at the club long enough and arent really captain material. Therefore I guess its Osman, but again he is probably a bit quiet.

You could use them same grounds against Neville though so that argument doesnt wash.

I think Neville is a brilliant club captain with his attitude and the way he conducts himself. On the pitch, Im not so convinced. He has his moments, but he also goes missing when he need him to rally the troops.

At the end of last year I would have gone for Heitinga because he was leading the defence well, however none of them at the back have made their mark this year. Same applies to Jags.

Pienaar isnt someone who i would trust to stand up and be counted if I am honest, Baines and Hibbert are too quiet, Felli isnt responsible enough for it and the likes of Jela, Mirallas & Naismith havent been at the club long enough and arent really captain material. Therefore I guess its Osman, but again he is probably a bit quiet.

How about Pienaar

Digested all that and I still think felli always plays central to everything we do and the best player should be the club figure head. Same reason shearer and beckham captained England not the biggest talker but the best player leads by example.

Beckham was an outstanding captain, very similar to Neville, and both would be in my top 10 captains in Prem history. Being captain isn't about being a figurehead. It's about ensuring the players do as they're told to do by being a manager 'on the pitch'.

Beckham was an outstanding captain, very similar to Neville, and both would be in my top 10 captains in Prem history. Being captain isn't about being a figurehead. It's about ensuring the players do as they're told to do by being a manager 'on the pitch'.

Don't think either players do this imo, in fact I don't think many captains in any team are like this anymore, I agree that a captain needs to ensure that the players do as they are told on the pitch etc, but I think this art has been lost years ago, most players are far to egotistical to take a bollocking off another player

Neville is more of an club ambassador not a captain - he can't lead by example because he's not the best player in the first 11, nor should he make first 11 most of the time.

Pienaar is too petulant. For me it's Baines or Osman. Osman or Baines would really step up to the plate.

Fellaini seems to do more talking to the press regarding his future than he does on the pitch. Gibson is a potential captain.

Osman would make for a very good club captain.

I can't quite ever envisage Fellaini as captain either, it just doesn't quite fit. He's a star player and attraction, but that doesn't always warrant a place as club captain anywhere.

Baines also would be a good choice, not sure about Gibson. The kid's only been with us a short time, and I just feel any Everton captain should have spent some considerable time with the club before an appointment, maybe that should apply to everywhere else, so Gibson for me, just not appropriate right now.

But captains don't always do that. Did you ever see Beckham giving his team some harsh words anytime he had an armband ?

Just need to have something inspirational or someone the team respects and looks up to. Maybe they're not all born leaders, but they have a certain aura about them or are a pivotal figure of any one team, but it takes time for that to develop, it just doesn't happen overnight.

But captains don't always do that. Did you ever see Beckham giving his team some harsh words anytime he had an armband ?

Just need to have something inspirational or someone the team respects and looks up to. Maybe they're not all born leaders, but they have a certain aura about them or are a pivotal figure of any one team, but it takes time for that to develop, it just doesn't happen overnight.

IMO this decribed Felli

I would have to go for Osman, Baines, or Felli. I believe it has to be a player that the others respect. If we are looking at someone who is not afraid to yell at his teammates, then Howard. But by that logic, every keeper would be captain. happy.png

I think yelling at team mates is a sign of a bad captain. A true leader gets his point across with a mere whisper.

I dont think it needs to be a shouter, just someone who leads by example. For me Neville is a perfect captain, he is a professional in every sense of the word, but he wont be here forever. The captain is more than what he does on the pitch for me, he is an example of how the other players should represent themselves and the team. Jagielka is a fine replacement after Neville moves on. Other than him, i'm not sure who else it could be. I think Baines could go on to be a good captain, he leads by example with his efforts on the pitch, in the same way Beckham used to.

I wouldn't like someone in such an authority position to be shouting and giving orders like some drill sergeant either. Captains don't have to be like that, to do a good job or for people to look up to or warrant respect. Team leaders just need to be collective, good natured, calm under pressure, able to multi task and think quick on their feet, it's not all about who goes up some steps to pick up a trophy, it's much more important than that.

I would go for either Baines,Osman or Gibson

Baines simply because hes consistently our best player and would lead by example on and off the pitch. He did captain Wigan too? So hes not new to it.

Osman because hes been at the club since the start of time, hes well liked and respected by his team mates and hes a good little player.

Gibson because I think he would suit it perfectly, he gets to see most of the game playing where he plays and he seems to fit Everton perfectly... The obvious choice is jags but hes been below par recently and doesnt do the job half as good as Neville

I agree with Baines, Osman and Gibson. They'd all be good choices but Gibson hasn't been here nearly long enough. If we were in need of a captain in a few years when Baines and Osman are past it - he'd be my first choice. Right now though, Jags is the man for the job. He has been off form for some of the recent games, but I think the start of this season has been his best performance yet, a big part of why we're sitting fifth now - Not discrediting Felli, Baines and everyone else who have been really showing. Captaincy isn't all about the performance anyway, but even if it was I wouldn't mark Jags down for a few bad games.