IGNORED

Everton v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 1897-2012

THFC6061

guys although we won we were very much the same as this whole season for 90% of the game - we again created more than enough chances but our conversion rate raises concern -

for most of the match there was no link between our midfield and Jelavic - with most strikes being taken by our midfielders whose primary job should not be striking -

for my money Jelavic is still not sharp enough - we need another proper striker playing just behind him and another one on the bench to replace either depending on form -

we wont snatch many games at the death like we did on Sunday - we must finish opposition off if we get enough chances- we seem to bleed them to death or survival - our dagger needs sharpening urgently

Well that was a funny game. For a lot of the game we labored and allowed Spurs far too much possession by standing off and let them play it about. However, we still managed to look the more dangerous side and create the better chances to score. Their goal even coming completely against the run of play, with us enjoying our best spell in the game up until that point in time. Their goal was even lucky because it took a horrible deflection which meant Howard had no chance of stopping it. Once again our recent problems were there for all to see - We didn't move the ball fast enough, didn't close the opposition down effectively, our final ball was nowhere near good enough, only one or two players were shouldering responsibility for making positive moves, not good enough at retaining possession, we wasted chances.

I didn't feel that we played well enough to warrant the win, a better side than Spurs would have punished us for allowing them that much time on the ball close to our goal, but we didn't play badly enough to warrant losing either. But, we've dominated plenty of sides this season and not got what we deserved so I'm more than happy to take the three points! Hopefully the manner in which we got the three points will give the players a big lift and we can go on a run over the festive period, but it's going to be difficult, particularly with us playing Stoke and West Ham next and both away. I'd be happy with 4 points from those two games if they were offered right now.

Howard - Didn't have a whole lot of major work to do and couldn't have stopped their goal.

Coleman - Going forward he was an absolute menace and was probably a more potent threat than Baines was, particularly in the first half. The downside of his attacking play was his delivery. It was terrible most of the time. But he did get an assist for Pienaar's goal, even though Moyes doesn't think he meant to pick out Pienaar! In terms of defending he looked a lot better than he had before his spell out. He wasn't helped out very much by Mirallas in the first half; he was often up against two Spurs players and was constantly asking Mirallas for help. I do wish he'd get closer to the opposition wide men though, and when he des go to go towards them not to stop half way and let them run at him!

Jagielka - I thought he was great. He kept Defoe very quiet, so much so that Defoe had to go the half way line just to get a sniff of the ball. He's definitely like the Jags of old now.

Distin - I thought he looked quite dodgy tbh. He always wanted an extra touch before passing the ball which put him under pressure because he's extremely one footed, which often put him under pressure and what should have been a simple pass or clearance ended up as a hoof to no one or hit out of play a lot of the time. And his heading... christ, the ball is likely to go anywhere but to safety when he tries to head the ball. 50p head.

Baines - He was usual self in terms of his effort and application but his deliveries were atrocious. I have no idea what's going on but he needs to work on his delivery again.

Mirallas - Understandably he wasn't quite at the level he was at before his injury but he still more than showed what we've been missing in recent weeks. He always wanted to run at the Spurs players, trying to make something happen; whether setting up someone else or making a chance for himself. Also, he linked up extremely well with Coleman in that first half and it was down our right that we looked the most dangerous. I don't think it was a coincidence that once he went off at half time that we didn't look as dangerous down that side and concentrated more on attacking with Baines and Pienaar down the left.

Osman - Another game when I really didn't think he did much of anything at all. Tbh, I've not thought much of him since he played for England. His performance level has dropped IMO. It's not that I thought he played badly yesterday; he just didn't really feature in our play, offensively or defensively.

Gibson - Brilliant, just brilliant. He was the definition of an architect yesterday. His passing, particularly his long range passing, was just class. I often thought his long passes had been hit too hard only to find it had been measured expertly and it landed right on the money for our player. Inch perfect. And one pass in the first half for Coleman was beautiful. He played it between two Spurs players with exactly the right pace on it for Coleman to run on to and deliver into the box. We don't play enough through balls so I was quite prepared to give him a big sloppy kiss at that point. My MOTM.

Pienaar - Other than his goal I thought he was quite poor tbh. Again, I thought he was trying too hard, which was probably due to the opposition. I couldn't fault his effort or work ethic (he worked his arse off, as usual) but I thought he was sloppy with the ball when we needed to keep hold of it and build. I did think he improved a lot in that regard as the game went on though and his work with Baines shows signs of getting back to where it was.

Fellaini - I didn't think Felli had the best of games in all honesty. For large periods of the game he looked completely disinterested and didn't get involved enough.

Jelavic - Probably worked as hard as I've ever seen him work tbh. He chased as much as he could and worked the channels. We didn't create enough chances for him, IMO, and I actually started feeling a bit sorry for him in the second half. Time and time again he was on the shoulder of their defender pointing for a midfielder to play the ball for him to run on to, only for him to be completely ignored and the pass go sideways for us to work our way in from out wide. We need to vary our play a bit, IMO. But he did so well for his goal by gambling and following the ball in, and got a trademark one touch goal. I hope it kick starts a goal scoring run for him.

Edited by Romey 1878

Evertonians,

Was thinking about the fact you've done well at home so far against the "big boys", but knowing you've still got to come to the Lane, I was just scanning the fixtures and believe you're still to go play away against Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. That correct?

We just Drew 1-1 at City (we were leading through Fellaini and they got a penalty that was a joke) but your right with the rest smile.png

Edited by GoodisonRoad

Yep, we'll probably struggle, best I'd hope for is a point at each but we've been known to do OK against the "big boys" of recent years, probably more so than most of the "smaller clubs". But we know we're in for a tough test, come turn of the year and being the 'underdog' suits us.

Based on performances, our position isn't true either. If we'd have been more clinical in most of our drawn games, we'd be sitting quite pretty up the very top. But we're not, and the table doesn't lie. It's all ifs and buts, we're in a good position with many a tough game to come.

We just Drew 1-1 at City (we were leading through Fellaini and they got a penalty that was a joke) but your right with the rest smile.png

Ah yes, forgot about that. Good result that at the Etihad.

It's not going to be easy, however none of those sides will take a home game against Everton lightly. If you can replicate your second half of the season form from previous years into 2013 then I think you will be favourites for 4th.

Forgive me if you don't agree - purely an outsider's perspective if you like - but it seems to me like Everton this season are a team at their peak, one which has been building for this moment for some time.

It reminds me VERY much of us last season. Teams around you (Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs in particular) are struggling for form, it's there for the taking. The same caveat exists as it did for us - miss out on 4th / CL football and you'll probably have to deal with losing Fellaini (like we did with Modric), possibly unsettle others such as Baines, Jelavic, Jagielka. It's the sad reality for clubs not backed with billionaire investors, so this needs to be your time.

Wish you best of luck. In a (semi-realistic) ideal World we'd come 3rd and you'd come 4th :) Who knows,

Can't express how happy I am about those closing scenes from Jela's substitution! The Moyes hug and the familial attitude from literally everyone. I don't think there was one person he didn't high five. That win meant a lot to us, the goal was a huge relief to him and you could see that everyone appreciated it.

Also, Mirallas looked pretty psyched for him. No animosity there...but we already knew that.

http://i.minus.com/iblu80vCV41hQ0.gif

Great win. Didn't see it coming at all in the second half but fair play, we kept plugging away and got our reward for it.

Thought we were solid defensively. Coleman looked very exciting in attack, especially considering it was Vertonghen, one of the best players in this league this season, that himself and Mirallas tore to shreds!

Don't think I've ever seen Defoe and Adebayor so quiet in my life, not given a sniff.

We looked quite impressive in attack with Mirallas on the pitch. His pace and trickery free up a lot of space for others, as well as his good work on the ball.

Pienaar still doesn't look 100% though, was poor but no fault for his effort.

Jelavic also looked brighter than I've seen in a while. His movement and work rate was brilliant.

Lastly, a special mention is needed for Gibson. Was very much a harsh critic of him when he joined but has proved me oh so wrong.

Was immense yesterday. Was looking to see who would win between Dembele and Fellaini, but Gibson easily outshone them both.

I didn't expect a win as I recognize them as a decent opposition with dangerous players that can cause you some problems, but despite the 85 minutes before it, it was great to get a late victory over an opposition you take a bit of pride in beating. I wonder if we can go the whole season at home without defeat, it's possible, although there's a long way to go. That would be an outstanding statistic to look upon.

I said before I realize sometimes now there is every chance of a European Cup place again, although was adamant there was little chance of it only a few short weeks ago after some lacklustre results. Soccer can be fickle sometimes

I forgot to mention it, but Pienaar's goal last week in this game was the 1000th goal we have scored in the Premier League since it's inception in 1992, so it was a double celebration, for those that were unaware.

Incidentally, the Stoke City equalizer today was the 1000th goal scored against us also since 1992. (League)

Finely balanced statistics !