IGNORED

Everton v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 1897-2012

THFC6061

A1333.jpg

Everton host Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park on Sunday 9th December January 2012 (KO 15:00) in the 16th round of Premier League matches for the 2012-13 season.

Everton come into the match in 6th place in the League on 23 points, while Spurs are in 4th place on 26 points

This will be the 170th time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in April 1897 in an end of season friendly match at Tottenham Marshes which Spurs won 2-1. Everton were founder-members of the Football League and had just finished 7th in the First Division while Spurs were in the Southern League and had finished 4th.

A further friendly was played at Goodison Park on New Year's Day 1902 which Everton won 3-1.

The clubs' first competitive match came in the old First Round (today's Third Round) of the FA Cup in February 1904 at Goodison Park which Spurs won 2-1 with a Vivian Woodward goal and an own goal from Everton's Balmer.

Both clubs embarked on a central European tour in the summer of 1905 an met twice with Everton winning both matches 2-0 in Vienna and 1-0 in Prague.

A second FA Cup meeting came in January 1908 with Spurs losing 1-0 at Everton.

At the end of that season, both Spurs and Everton set sail for a tour of South America and played two exhibition matches in Palermo, Argentina with the first game drawn 0-0 and Everton winning the second 4-0. On the voyage home, Spurs 'borrowed' the ship captain's parrot who lived happilly for a decade at the Tottenham offices in the High Road until it dropped dead the day news came through that Arsenal had stolen Spurs' First Division place in 1919.

The first Football League meetings came in the First Division in the 1909-10 season with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison and Spurs winning 3-0 at the Lane.

The clubs then met regularly in the First Division up to season 1927-28 with eight wins for Spurs, ten wins for Everton and eight matches drawn.

The only League meetings between the two clubs outside the Top Flight of English Football came in season 1930-31 in the Second Division with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison Park and Spurs winning 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The clubs met for two more seasons in Division One before the outbreak of World War Two with a win apiece and two games drawn.

Spurs won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 3-0 at home in 1934 and a 5th round tie at home in 1937 4-3 after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

The first meeting after WW2 came in the 5th Round at Goodison Park in February 1950 with Everton winning 1-0.

Spurs regained their First Division status in 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Everton on their way to the first Football League Championship won by Tottenham Hotspur with a 2-1 away win and a 3-0 home win. Everton lost their First Division place that same season along with Sheffield Wednesday, while Chelsea escaped the drop on goal average.

Everton were back in the First Division for the 1954-55 season and the clubs have met in the Top Flight for every subsequent season to date, except for 1977-78 when Spurs dropped down to the Second Division for one season.

Bill Nicholson's first game as Tottenham's manager came at White Hart Lane in October 1958 and Spurs were 6-1 up at half-time and went on to beat Everton 10-4.

A League game at White Hart Lane in December 1969 was abandoned due to floodlight failure after 29 minutes.

The two clubs met in February and March of 1986 in a competition called the Screen Sport Super Cup, which was introduced to give teams who would have qualified for the European competitions some compensation, as English clubs were banned from Europe. The first match at White Hart Lane ended goalless while Everton won the return leg 3-1.

The only Football League Cup meeting between the clubs came in the Fourth Round in October 2009 with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane with goals from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Everton were founder-members of the Premier League and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present for the entire 21 seasons of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Spurs have taken more points off Everton in the Premier League than from any other opponent. The 71 points won by Spurs against Everton in the 40 matches played to date gives an average of 1.775 points won per game.

The 2010-11 meetings in the Premier League only yielded one point for Spurs, which came in a 1-1 draw at the Lane in October 2010. The reverse fixture in January 2011 was won 1-2 by Everton. The Toffees' goals were scored by Leighton Baines at Spurs and Louis Saha & Seamus Coleman at Goodison Park. Rafael van der Vaart scored both Spurs' goals last season.

Spurs' home game last season was re-arranged from the opening day to January 2012 due to rioting in the Tottenham area. Spurs won the match 2-0 with goals from Aaron Lennon and a belter from Benoit Assou-Ekotto. During the January transfer window, Spurs signed Everton's French striker Louis Saha while Steven Pienaar moved in the opposite direction on loan until the end of the season. The match at Goodison Park in March 2012 was won 1-0 by Everton when Nikica Jelavic scored his first goal for the club in the 22nd minute.

During the Summer of 2012, Everton re-signed Steven Pienaar from Spurs on a permanent basis.

Overall, Spurs have won 61 of the 169 matches played so far with Everton winning 58 and 50 matches drawn.

A1289.jpg

A1290.jpg

They Played for Spurs & Everton....

Jamie Attwell

John Barlow

Nick Barmby

John Brearley

Frank Brettell (Everton player, Spurs manager)

Charlie Brown

Bob Cain

John Cameron (also Spurs manager)

Simon Davies

Anthony Gardner

Paul Gascoigne

David Ginola

Richard Gough

Charlie O'Hagan

Ted Hughes

Pat Jennings

Steve Kelly

John Kirwan

Gary Lineker

Bobby Mimms

Charlie Morgan

Steven Pienaar

Robert Pilch

Louis Saha

Vinny Samways

Pat Van den Hauwe

John Watson

Alex 'Sandy' Young

A1293.jpg

A1325.jpg

A1326.jpg

Edited by THFC6061

Likewise, I think Everton are a very real threat this season and this will be a very difficult match indeed for Spurs.

David Moyes has performed miracles on a limited budget and the team's performance so far this season had far exceeded expectations.

The only question mark for me would be if the Everton squad has enough strength in depth once the injuries and suspensions start taking their toll.

Spurs are currently fourth despite some lengthy lay-offs for quite a few of our first team players - Parker has not featured all season and Kaboul and Assou-Ekotto have only played a handful of matches between them.

However, youngsters such as Steven Caulker, Kyle Naughton and Tom Carroll have all taken their opportunities and Michael Dawson has once again proved his worth to the squad when it looked like he was on his way to QPR in the summer.

Still a few days away. Both teams on decent form, but Spurs picking up the extra points of late where we've left them on the table. Return or not of Mirallas will be key to giving us the extra dimension that we've been lacking.

Can see this easily as very tight or wide open, first 15 minutes might well tell the story. We've not kept a clean sheet in a long while, and despite Spurs effectiveness in front of goal, but with Bale missing I can just about see us keeping them quiet. Not sure they have an answer for Fellaini, and if we're able to add a fit and willing Mirallas then I think we'll be comfortable. The first few minutes of each half has proven difficult for us of late, if we avoid self destruction I can see the tide well and truly turning here.

2-0

It could well be a case of which team's two Belgians have the most influence on the game - Fellaini & Mirallas for Everton or Vertonghen & Dembele for Tottenham.

I think AVB will take the opportunity to rest some of our first choice players for Thursday's home Europa League match against Panathinaikos, so fitness shouldn't be an issue for Sunday at Goodison.

I honestly think this match could go either way, so the safe bet is probably a score draw.

Edited by THFC6061

I seriously think we will be up for this game and can see us come out the blocks. Bale is out and i dont think they are owt special to be honest. Can see us getting an early goal and finishing up 3-0 Baines, Jelly 2

Shouldn't it be Everton fans only for our matchday threads ?

No disrespect to the author or anything, but worth a mention. I believe he came back with a good article and statistics to show, not intentional on it being an actual thread piece ?

In any event, a long way off from actual time of event, but sorry to say I think they can sneak this one, and some of the problems of recent, may continue. Obviously would want to see different

Everton 0 Spurs 1

Yeah I'd forgotten about him.

I must have been feeling benevolent that day, but it should still apply as a basic principle.

And this is why we play on Sunday, because they have a game in midweek.

All they need is a draw in their last game I think, so the manager will pick a strong side, or not take any chances , but if they get through, tails will be up for this and they'll be in good spirits for it, even if a little drained.

They have to be eliminated on the night if we really want to get anything out of this game

They have to be eliminated on the night if we really want to get anything out of this game

I kind of have the same feeling, Spurs are by no means an average side. People have mentioned that Bale is out, but I don't see how that improves our chances. Defoe, dempsey, dembele, lennon - all attacking players with pace and guile, something we seriously lack. However good fellaini, pienaar, osman etc are, there's no real worry about us hitting teams on the counter, save for one man. If we get Mirallas back fit for the game, I can see us winning 3-1. Without him, another draw, or worse a loss.

I underestimated how important Mirallas could be, but to me he eclipses what Donovan brought us. He's young, talented and best of as fast as they come. The combination between him fellaini and jelavic in one of our earlier games (Sunderland, Swansea? Can't remember) was industrious and showed what we can acheive with a few more direct players in our team.

i also think Jelavic's form is one of the biggest factors in our finishing fourth. If he picks up and goes on to score us 10-15 goals between now and may, I think we have a good chance. But carrying another misfiring striker will be like handcuffing us, as it has been season after season since yakubu's arrival. Since the Yak's first season and 21 goals, we haven't had anyone that looks like scoring anywhere near that total for us. Fellaini may be scoring goals, but asking him to drive us to 4th by himself is too much.

in reality, we aren't punching above our weight anymore. Our squad is full of talented and capable players, albeit we're lacking in some positions. Even Oveido and Hitzlsperger have surpassed expectation so far, and I'm really hoping Barkley starts making some appearances. We don't have excuses for not performing, Spurs on sunday to me is this squads biggest test so far on staying on sight for europe, lose and a few results dont go our way, and we sink down the table. Win and a few results go away, and we could be sitting in third. We need to go from being hard to beat, to being dominant, from battling defensively to attacking relentlessly. We haven't killed teams off in the last 7 or 8 games, if we had we could have been up with united.

The season is kicking into gear now, winter is a test for all sides, but for us this season, its a challenge to see what were made of. If were still 3/4/5/6th come january, then I think we can turn hope into belief. If we slide down to 10/11/12th, then I think not only we will lose Fellaini/baines etc we will also lose Moyes, who must be as desperate as any evertonian to see us lift a trophy or qualify for europe.

I do think Spurs are a bit 'soft' though... It was the same with AVB's Chelsea. They have great attacking flair (if you let them play) but they arent the strongest defensively and if they dont try and play Felli out of the game then Im sure he will run riot.

Its one of those that I really think we can win. They are a good team but they are no better than us. None of their midfielders are particularly special, and even Bale is over rated IMO. Dont get me wrong, he is a quality player but people saying he should be at Barca & R Madrid etc etc are talking out of their arse. He is certainly a top Premiership player though, but he can be stopped as Neville showed last season.

Defoe is a big threat because he is a really good finisher as he only needs one chance, and on the balance of our games this season he will get at least one.

During the 1990s they often got a result here, Ferdinand I remember was often involved in our downfall, he was similar to Rush and Ian Wright in that he seemed to have a talent for scoring against us. Defoe will most likely be involved, and (as above) he's a player that has to be watched, always a danger.

They're simply not the same caliber of opposition since Redknapp left. This Villa Boas came in, and they thought it would be a path to success but it's been largely a disappointment for them, but still one result away from progress in the UEFA cup, but other than that, not the kind of season some may of anticipated.

Maybe it'll be another draw to add to our 'collection', but still feel a little nervous about this fixture in that I think they are a decent side and will cause a number of problems.

I do think Spurs are a bit 'soft' though... It was the same with AVB's Chelsea. They have great attacking flair (if you let them play) but they arent the strongest defensively and if they dont try and play Felli out of the game then Im sure he will run riot.

Its one of those that I really think we can win. They are a good team but they are no better than us. None of their midfielders are particularly special, and even Bale is over rated IMO.

Think that overlooks Dembele a bit. He gives them steel and guile, from what I've seen of them this year they're a completely different proposition with him in the side. That said, at Goodison I expect us to win this one.

i also think Jelavic's form is one of the biggest factors in our finishing fourth.

If I learned anything watching the match against City, it's how incredibly Fellaini-centric our style of play is right now. When Jelavic first came here we played to his strengths. It was shocking how isolated he seemed against City. In my head I'm thinking, hmm, we were winning some matches by three or more goals last spring, instead of drawing several with a single goal and talking about how wonderful Fellaini is. I'd really love to get excited about the whole team again, but it's hard because right now we're catering to the very idea of Fellaini embodying what we do. We're LETTING him be the team. Prior to the last two matches Jela was kinda just sulking in response, but now his attitude seems a bit better, he just needs a goal, and less Naismith. I'm looking for him to bounce back, he still works pretty hard. I wouldn't compare this to the Yak situation.

Think that overlooks Dembele a bit. He gives them steel and guile, from what I've seen of them this year they're a completely different proposition with him in the side. That said, at Goodison I expect us to win this one.

He is a good player but whilst I know a few people will disagree and I dont think he is as good as he is being hyped to be. I havent seen much of him at Spurs admittedly, but I saw him a few times when he was at Fulham. He is the type of player that will dominate a game if you let him, but if you don't let him settle and make sure he is closed down when he has the ball then he can be played out of the game. He certainly isnt as good as Modric was.

A lot of players improve when they move to a better club and he may well be better than I remember. Guess we will find out on Sunday :)

He is a good player but whilst I know a few people will disagree and I dont think he is as good as he is being hyped to be. I havent seen much of him at Spurs admittedly, but I saw him a few times when he was at Fulham. He is the type of player that will dominate a game if you let him, but if you don't let him settle and make sure he is closed down when he has the ball then he can be played out of the game. He certainly isnt as good as Modric was.

A lot of players improve when they move to a better club and he may well be better than I remember. Guess we will find out on Sunday smile.png

Mousa Dembele?

Be afraid... be very afraid...

P0116.png

great post The Regulator -

All things being equal we should lose this one 2-1 - unless the post does not get in the way , we get the first fair ref in a long time and lady luck stops ignoring us in which case we could win 2-1 and maybe somehow sneak a penalty ( we have to stay hopefull )

think Spurs is better side than Arsenal - so we have to lift our game especially in attack where we lack speed and striking power

I knew people wouldnt just agree! :)

Stats like that are a load of crap IMO (well sometimes anyway). I dont doubt that he is an important cog, but who would normally start instead of him? If it is Livermore or someone like that then I am not surprised the stats show what they do!

As I say, I have only seen him at Fulham and in the games I saw he was a bit sloppy and had no real impact unless he was given time and space. I never saw him effect the game in the way that Fellaini could for example.

I knew people wouldnt just agree! smile.png

Stats like that are a load of crap IMO (well sometimes anyway). I dont doubt that he is an important cog, but who would normally start instead of him? If it is Livermore or someone like that then I am not surprised the stats show what they do!

As I say, I have only seen him at Fulham and in the games I saw he was a bit sloppy and had no real impact unless he was given time and space. I never saw him effect the game in the way that Fellaini could for example.

I take your point but when Dembele was out injured, it was usually Tom Huddlestone who partnered Sandro in central midfield.

Now that Scott Parker looks like he's ready to play for the first time this season, it will be interesting to see who AVB gives the nod to, as Sandro has been exceptionally solid for Spurs this season.

So I'd say that the more defensive central midfielder is a choice between Sandro & Parker, while the more attacking or creative one is a choice between Dembele and Huddlestone.

Edited by THFC6061