IGNORED

Everton's Ultimate Legend

DLRG12

What was going on in some above responses I don't know. I'm in the process of shaving off a full beard while we're at it, as talk has escalated into hair growth and appearances.

I forgot what this thread was even about now ?

Yeah, club legends that was it.

There was a quite brilliant piece on Toffeeweb a few years ago all about Dean from the cradle to the grave that is a must read for any supporter of this club. Once again, there must be a number of supporters who simply aren't quite aware of how good he was, the man was colossal. How he managed to break that record in the 1920s with games running out was incredible, and three goals on the last day to do it at Goodison Park of all things, as most will be aware. But there can be no doubt he was the single most stand out player there ever was at the club.

If the author went over to a Shite page with the same question, would be interesting if supporters chose Dalglish, Rush or Fowler, as I truly believe the greatest player they ever had was (Roger) Hunt..

For the benefit of tomorrows opposition, Dave MacKay etc..

What was going on in some above responses I don't know. I'm in the process of shaving off a full beard while we're at it, as talk has escalated into hair growth and appearances.

I forgot what this thread was even about now ?

Yeah, club legends that was it.

There was a quite brilliant piece on Toffeeweb a few years ago all about Dean from the cradle to the grave that is a must read for any supporter of this club. Once again, there must be a number of supporters who simply aren't quite aware of how good he was, the man was colossal. How he managed to break that record in the 1920s with games running out was incredible, and three goals on the last day to do it at Goodison Park of all things, as most will be aware. But there can be no doubt he was the single most stand out player there ever was at the club.

If the author went over to a Shite page with the same question, would be interesting if supporters chose Dalglish, Rush or Fowler, as I truly believe the greatest player they ever had was (Roger) Hunt..

For the benefit of tomorrows opposition, Dave MacKay etc..

All this talk of Dean got me looking at the 'complete records' book....Evertons history 1878-1985 (so not that complete).

Ok, Deans best season was obviousy 1927-28 a fantastic 60 league goals, that's the main reason he's so well known.Dean missed three games that season, one game in particular had me thinking his record goal haul could have been even more impressive.It was at home to West Ham 22/10/27......it turned out to be Evertons biggest win of the season 7-0.Now we obviously can't be certain that even if he'd played he would have scored, but as the Hammers defence was so generous I'm pretty sure Dixie would have got a couple, he got all 5 goals a few days previous against Man utd! and his return game after West Ham he scored a hattrick against Portsmouth!........We will sadly never see another like Dixie Dean, he certinly deserves that statue and the title 'ultimate' legend.

As for your thoughts on the rs legend Mr Kane they already have a statue of theirs.....Shankly.

Edited by Blue 250

You do realize that Shankly never played for Liverpool Football Club, was merely a managerial figure and nothing more.

Now that you think about it, the author was being a bit vague about what he actually wanted. I assumed automatically we were to name great players but never thought for one minute about managers involvement. Nonetheless, Hunt was the greatest player they ever had if we continue with greatest players for respective clubs.

Remember also the club was relegated with Dean almost immediately after a title win in the 1920s and record goals haul which will undoubtedly surprise a few if not already aware. The man was immense, but after all, could not save the club from a relegation at a direct time when he was the most prolific scorer in the whole country.

also, Gravesen and Carsley, nowhere near legendary status but not sure if people were being serious etc.

Now that you think about it, the author was being a bit vague about what he actually wanted. I assumed automatically we were to name great players but never thought for one minute about managers involvement.

The ultimate legend will be a player or manager who has represented the club at any stage throughout its existence.

Damn those vague questionsshaking%20fist.png .

Obviously, I missed that

All I could concentrate on was players and nothing else.

Fair enough, Hunt was best player, Shankly best manager, although Paisley also did a very good job

For us, Dean as best player, Catterick as best manager. (I always prefered him over Kendall)

Hard to compare Catterick and Kendall, both won 2 championships and an FA cup, Kendall just shades it for me.

Two great men, didn't Catterick like Dean die at Goodison?........

Paisley was a good manager, but he did inherit something pretty good.Shankley actually built it.

Paisley was a good manager, but he did inherit something pretty good.Shankley actually built it.

Agreed...but Paisley also played for the club for a long time and won far more than Shanks as manager.

No idea who reds would call their ultimate legend but I suspect it'd be between those two and Dalglish (tarnished a bit by recent eventsrofl.gif ).

Hard to compare Catterick and Kendall, both won 2 championships and an FA cup, Kendall just shades it for me.

Two great men, didn't Catterick like Dean die at Goodison?........

In 1985 at a League Cup game is all I remember, but yes it was just like Dean at a derby game in 1980. In that two of our greatest and prolific club names passed away at the stadium of all things.

Rooney could have been up there if he stayed. I still believe he would have been a better player if he stayed at Everton. He needs a team to need his individuality, not share the ball.

The club did poorly in 2003/04 before Rooney was sold and was involved in a near relegation battle towards end of season despite having the most talked about kid talent on board at the time. We did after all, manage to get a European Cup place immediately after his leaving of course.

Maybe if Rooney has stayed, be could have been held (over enough time) in such regard as Young, Hickson and Labone etc, but despite his promise, was only featured in the showlight for a short time and we never saw his potential here. I don't want him to return incidentally, and don't think it will ever happen either. But there's no way Rooney could ever be seen a 'club legend' here and I hope people don't embarrass themselves by saying it either, as it's simply not a viable proposition

Once again, and the man was so immense he deserves a second mention, in that today in 1937, Dean played his last game for the club, and brought to an end, probably the greatest center forward this country ever saw. Where are we now, 75 Years Later - to the day of all things. I take this opportunity to applaud and recognize Mr Dean for his services to the club and so many great memories that so many generations have enjoyed. You can never read too much about this giant of a player.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/history/concise/1915-1939.asp

Rooney was the closest thing we had to a modern day Dixie. Sure he's won medals, so has kleberson, djemba djemba, djime traore, baros, it doesn't make you any more privledged. Look at shearer.... He will be a legend for turning down the mancs twice, doing it his way and having less medals than players nowhere near good enough to lace his boots.

Rooney wasn't at Blackburn or Newcastle, he was at Everton a proper club in need of a new hero. We had the marauding jock, but he was being replaced by the street Scally. Unfortunately for Rooney he swapped medals for a legend status, I say unfortunate because he will never be a legend for them. He can't, he ain't a manc and they know it.

I'm ok with Rooney, I understand why he did what he did, if he was my son would I have advised different? - probably....not 100% though. However if he stayed he could have been a great.

I'm ok with Rooney, I understand why he did what he did, if he was my son would I have advised different? - probably....not 100% though. However if he stayed he could have been a great.

If he was my son I would have said:

Go on son, follow the money. You never know how long you have. An injury could end it all tomorrow. Take care of your old man when youre rich and famous. Oh and what ever you do son... Dont sleep with older women or hookers. Youve got a lovely girlfriend.

If he was my son I would have said:

Go on son, follow the money. You never know how long you have. An injury could end it all tomorrow. Take care of your old man when youre rich and famous. Oh and what ever you do son... Dont sleep with older women or hookers. Youve got a lovely girlfriend.

We offered him the same amount 50k a week. He should have stayed for an extra season or two imo and helped us get a better price rather than go kicking and screaming, United were happy to wait from what SAF has said as well.

We offered him the same amount 50k a week. He should have stayed for an extra season or two imo and helped us get a better price rather than go kicking and screaming, United were happy to wait from what SAF has said as well.

I don't for one minute think that there was such a contract, we couldn't afford to keep him. His sale saved us from administration from what I've read.

I just think we could have got more for him.

How much did he actually go for at the time, I think the final total in the end was something like £25,000,000 but we didn't pay that initially, I can't quite remember and there's no sense in lying.

I think it retrospect that was a fair price for the kid at the time.

Yes it left it a sour taste in the mouth of some supporters, but you can't blame the player for wanting to better himself or try out at a club with a more realistic chance of winning honors and challenging for titles etc.

How much did he actually go for at the time, I think the final total in the end was something like £25,000,000 but we didn't pay that initially, I can't quite remember and there's no sense in lyi

I think it retrospect that was a fair price for the kid at the time.

Yes it left it a sour taste in the mouth of some supporters, but you can't blame the player for wanting to better himself or try out at a club with a more realistic chance of winning honors and challenging for titles etc.

At what age? 17 or 18? Bollocks mate, he had his head turned. He could have easily waited a couple of years and then leave as a hero or legend or whatever. He took the easy option in my book, but then again I'm speaking as a fan not as a player............. it's easy to be loyal when players are winning trophy's and earning 70k plus a week. Never forget that he was a fan of the club, rant over.

At what age? 17 or 18? That's not necessarily true, he had his head turned. He could have easily waited a couple of years and then leave as a hero or legend or whatever. He took the easy option in my book, but then again I'm speaking as a fan not as a player............. it's easy to be loyal when players are winning trophy's and earning 70k plus a week. Never forget that he was a fan of the club, rant over.

Fixed it for you

Yes I'm aware Rooney could have stayed, he was hardly forced out or Ferguson roped him like a steer along the M62. It was his decision to leave above all else. Maybe over time he could have been a club legend, but, we'll never know since his departure. All we can do is speak from the perspective of supporters, and we're all aware of Rooney's loyalties, and his devotion to the club as a kid before he even came to the fore, but there was one or two unsavory incidents after his leaving, the 'badge appreciation' incident at Goodison Park a year or two after going, that left a number of supporters most unhappy. Once a blue always a blue the kid said at one time. All we know is, we had a player of potential on our hands, Yes he had the choice to stay on, made a decision, and that's that really all these years later. Still never made it back as an International player either after that fine tourney in Portugal.

You know what, this thread is for Legends of the club. Rooney isn't that, alright, maybe over time he could have challenged for recognition with names like Labone, Hickson and Ball etc, aforementioned, but the fact of the matter is, that never came to pass and simply can't be included, and some supporters wouldn't even entertain the thought of having the name in our club hall of fame, regardless of staying or leaving. There is still animosity evident, alright maybe not as tangible as time of departure, but nonetheless still evident out there.

Let's keep this thread free for real legends of our club. Rooney is not a part of that.

End Of Story

Dixie - no surprise - is leading this Poll by a long way both online and face-toface polling. Actually, it is the second biggest lead out of all the 92 clubs in England.

There is still time to vote though to have your say.

All legends will be revealed in January.

Dixie - no surprise - is leading this Poll by a long way both online and face-toface polling. Actually, it is the second biggest lead out of all the 92 clubs in England.

There is still time to vote though to have your say.

All legends will be revealed in January.

What's the biggest?

Matt Le Tissier was my first thought....but Terry Paine would take a lot of votes from him so maybe not.

Johnny Haynes would take some beating at Fulham. Jimmy Armfield at Blackpool too.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.