IGNORED

Stoke City - Away Game

Dalziel Kane

It's 3-30 in the morning and I'm a little intoxicated (!), but have been trying for a match day thread for a few weeks now.

Let's cut to the chase, if it's all well and good, in that we have ourselves a game in a Champions League Place, and while only a handful of victories recently, and a lot of drawn games, this does represent a chance to pick up more points and keep a hold on those important places while those around us are dropping points. I still believe , that a fourth place finish may just be beyond us this season, but we have an opportunity to keep in place of that objective, no matter how hard it may be, and can only keep challenging and see where it gets us, we do have the capabilities, although match officials and inconsistencies have done us no favors in recent fixtures.

Stoke City at their own venue is a winnable fixture for me. I always thought the Victoria Ground was more difficult to get a result, and Pulis is a decent manager, but we are stronger in most departments. We got lucky today I feel, but are capable of getting three points here and taking this on into further fixtures. It's imperative we win again with subsequent fixtures after this.

Stoke City 0 Everton 1

I am confident with that prediction. I realize now, we do actually have a tangible possibility of a Champions League finish, but there's still a long way to go yet. It really is going to be close at the end of season for sure, This is a winnable game, but it won't be easy. I keep thinking about, can we have European Cup soccer games again, and Yes - there is that possibility.

It continues here.

This is on my birthday, in my hometown ( sadly!) so i'm hoping we absolutely destroy them so I can mock my mates! More likely it'll be a tight one goal affair like DK says but could go either way. I was at the Britannia for this fixture last season and we really dominated but its really hard to get a goal there. I'm hoping with a bit more attacking flair we can break them down and perhaps Jelly will start banging them in!

Like Steve says, this is a tough tough game but if we play like we can then we can win. This may be the ideal game to drop Fellaini deeper to deal with the long balls, and because he is more than likely going to have a tough time of it upfront due to how well organised and how aerially dominant they are.

I just hope Moyes has learnt from last year when we played right into their hands (our tactic was to play long and get Baines to whip in a cross shaking fist.png )

Stoke City play in an unorthodox way, the Wimbledon of the present day, some insist, and will be awkward opposition to most especially at their own stadium.

I think Pulis is a good manager, don't know how long he's been there, but certainly good enough to manage at a more established or recognized club I think. Even took them to an FA cup Final last year and plenty has been said that they are difficult opposition who can beat anyone on their day. Haven't been to the Brittania Stadium but did take in a game at the old Victoria Ground around 1997 before it was closed and it was a very good atmosphere. It was your archetypal soccer ground, and they usually did well when playing.

I said before I do feel we can win by a single goal and keep hold of those top four places, and if you want to get a prize at end of season, such as a Champions League place, these are the type of awkward fixtures you really need to win and take maximum points from.

I was at the stoke/QPR game earlier this season and the only way QPR could break them down was using through balls and taking advantage of stokes slow, albeit large, centre backs. QPR got through plenty of times but had no one to finish off the move. Any long balls will just get sent straight back out, we need Jelly to keep asking for the ball when he's on the defenders shoulder and hope he gets a ball played on the ground. I agree with Bailey that we should drop Fellaini back to stop their lumping tactics and hopefully Ossie can create chances further up the field.

I actually feeling more confident about this the closer it gets!

0-3 blues

We need to be switched on from set peices and the back four need Tim to be dominant and rule his penalty box. I think we need to expose the down the wings and hopefully if super Kev plays we can do that from both sides.Stoke are Stoke and play to their strengths so they shouldnt be hard to figure out.

Much as I'm worried about aggravating Mirallas' hamstring strain, I really think this is one game we need his pace in.

Agree that Fellaini should be dropped deeper but an attacking three of Osman, Mirallas and Pienaar should be able to put Jelly through for a few.

Need a big game from Distin in defense too but going with the heart here, 2 0, Jelly and Ossie

I have to point out with an above response that if you're truthful with yourself. I don't think we will score four goals at the Brittania Stadium for this.

They're hardly going to be open, and closing us down right from the start and not many teams go up there and dictate play. Also with an above, set pieces such as free kicks and corners will maybe provide their best chance of scoring, rather than open play, so we will have to be alert when they get an advantage.

It's going to be a gritty, no thrills affair, the epitome of winter months play in the EPL, but once more, expect us to prevail by the only goal for this and continue the chase for a Champions League place.

It was mentioned above that Mark Halsey will be main match official. There was worse appointments we could have had. Quietly confident

There's no way we're going to score four goals in this fixture, have a bit of sense.

It will be settled by an only goal, and I think we will get that, but no landslide victories.

Once again, if you never went to The Victoria Ground, you can't quite appreciate it as a stadium, and City always seemed more dangerous in their previous home.

I wonder sometimes why they sing Tom Jones songs.

Did ask once but didn't get a definite answer.

All I know is, Stoke isn't in Wales, or anywhere near it, but we'll let it rest, and just concentrate on the game in hand.

Owen and Crouch are ready to start incidentally. That means there is cause for concern

Oh for fuck sake DK! If youre so sensible and logical, cant you see that im trying to wind you up? I know that theres a very small chance of scoring four goals against Stoke. How many times have we scored four this season? Will we do it against a team like Stoke who will have 10-11 players behind the ball at all times? No, probably not.

So im sticking to my guns, Stoke 1, Everton 4. Hibbert to score the lot. (DK, this last sentance was laced with irony, Hibbo scoring 4 being the dead give away)