IGNORED

Everton V Wigan 26/12/2012

Hafnia

Wasn't the best of games from what I can ascertain, referee did himself no favors again ?, and in the end it was only a win by a one goal margin when many thought before time it could be something of a landslide victory.

A win's a win, is the bottom line. That's three victories in a row now, and still challenging for a European Cup place, although I believe other teams in the vicinity got results today themselves.

It was hardly game of the season by all accounts, but once again, the result is all important in that we got another three points, and some people won't give a fig in the manner it arrives so long as a victory is the outcome. I did say 2 - 0 I think before game, so wasn't too far off a right prediction.

Maybe I won't see any highlights later, but well done to all involved in getting us another win today, and we continue to challenge, even if it was a bit of a lousy affair up there today apparently. But we somehow come out on top again and can only take this on into subsequent fixtures.

Struggling to pick a goal scorer for this one, thinking 2-0 with the goal scores from Jags or Distin from a set piece and Osman, Jela, and Vic for the other.

My prediction was broader than Daily Mail horoscope, but twice as accurate happy.png.

MOTD claiming Wigan should have had a pen, don't mention it being theatrical (although I remember Liverpool weren't given one for a similar dive by Diouf in a cup final for the same thing and everyone agreed the ref was right). Then just brush over the hand ball for their goal.

Well, we only played well for about 10/15 minutes of this game which is quite pathetic really. But, for that period we were utterly dominant and we were brilliant to watch and looked like we could score with every attack. Our passing was crisp, we had a high tempo, we forced them into conceding possession whenever they had it, and we created chances. We had them penned back completely and rightfully took the lead after Osman's quick feet gave him the opportunity to shoot at goal. As is the norm, it was a pretty shit shot and he got lucky with the deflection to take it in. But, we've had lots go against us this season so I'll take any bit of luck that comes our way!

Other than that period of play I thought we were awful tbh. There was no movement to speak of, no tempo to our play whatsoever, very little creativity (if any), our passing was sloppy, and we didn't look like getting through Wigan at all. It was horrible to watch. However, we did manage to get a second goal later in the second half despite playing badly. I thought that had sealed it but, once again, a defensive mistake cost us big time and they got back into the game and the rest of the game was made a lot more nervous than it should have been.

We need a massive improvement on Sunday or Chelsea are likely to take us apart with all of their attacking talent. They're bad at the back but if we fail to create chances then it won't be an advantage to us at all. We must be solid at the back but still get forward.

Howard - Some people have said he is partly to blame for Wigan's goal, but I've watched the goal a few times and I'm undecided. Maybe he could have done better by the time Kone got the shot away but that's reaching a bit. Other than that, he didn't have a lot to do from what I can recall.

Neville - He looked very unfit in the first half. He was reluctant to run forward, his crossing was mediocre (even the one for our second was bad, Jags made that into a goal), and he was targeted by Wigan because they could see he wasn't at the races. Osman didn't help him out at all in the first half though, and he had a little tiff with Osman over it. He did seem to settle into things a bit more in the second half which is a positive, and hopefully that carries on into the next game because we can't afford any passengers against Chelsea.

Jagielka - I thought he was superb. His performance was even better when you consider that Distin had a very rocky afternoon next to him. But Jags was a rock due to the amount of headers he made to keep as much of the Wigan attacks away from our goal as possible. He also got himself an overdue goal with a brilliant header. He did well to get that much on the header when there was no pace on the cross at all. My MOTM.

Distin - A bad afternoon for Distin topped off with him being the main culprit for the Wigan goal. What the fuck he was doing I have no idea. More mistakes are creeping into his game lately; he needs to sort himself out.

Baines - I thought he had a bit of a meh game tbh. He showed glimpses of his quality with some neat interplay with Pienaar down the left (it's good to see their partnership coming together again), but he was too in and out of the game for me. And he played a part in their goal too.

Osman - He basically spent the first half going walkabout and not doing much else. Hardly surprising when he played this half on the right wing where we all know he's not very good. Gibson going off at half time meant he moved into his best position; central midfield and it was no coincidence that he and the team were transformed. For a while after half time Osman absolutely ran the show and we dominated the game. He capped it off with a piece of play to show his quick feet and got a goal. Sadly, it was only a cameo from him (and the team) and it didn't last, which meant I couldn't give him my MOTM vote.

Hitzlsperger - Apart from that wonderful nutmeg and shot I thought he fairly anonymous.

Gibson - I didn't think he'd been near his best in the 45 minutes he was on the pitch, a bit below par. Still hope his injury isn't too bad though because there's no doubt we're better for having him playing.

Pienaar - Like Baines, he showed glimpses of his quality but he drifted in and out of the game.

Anichebe - I was really pleased with Vic's performance yesterday. I don't think he slacked off at all, he put himself about, he used his strength well for the most part, and he had a couple of efforts at goal. The moment that sticks out most for me was in the first half; he got the ball with his back to goal, turned his man brilliantly and then released the ball to Jelavic. Unfortunately a Wigan defender got a boot to the ball to stop it getting through for Jelavic to have a one on one with the goalkeeper.

Jelavic - Another pretty poor game from him and he was clearly low on confidence. The only positive really is that he didn't sulk and worked hard. But, tbh, I don't want to see him working hard and running the channels. His quality is the box and that's where I want him to be so that if we create something he's there for the chance to put it away.