IGNORED

Everton V Wigan 26/12/2012

Hafnia

Just in case anyone is going away over Christmas and wants to post anything relevant regarding the boxing day clash then here you go....

Not really I was just using it as an opportunity to get in first as I believe there are some benefits to starting a thread??? Can anyone share these benefits.

No seriously, i'm busy out and about over next week so will not get much of a chance to visit.

Wigan needs to be a 3 pointer, they are a better team than they are given credit for but we should set up attacking and have a real go at them, an ideal game for a deep lying attacking midfielder to pick passes for Jelly (Barkley?)

Happy christmas chaps and any chapesses if I don't post till after the festive period...

Anyone want to start the match day thread for Chelsea away on the last day of the season while we're at it.

Seems like a fairly straight forward win is all you can say, but with this team in recent weeks, you never can tell what will occur. Can't look beyond a home win right now, but anything can happen on the day.

Everton 2 Wigan Athletic 0

The way to beat Wigan is to press them high up the pitch and stop them from popping the ball around. They have some decent footballers in their team but the likes of Boyce, Caldwell, Figoroa (to an extent) are technically gifted and they start panicking whenever someone gets close to them. IF they cant play from the back they fall apart, and although I respect Wigan highly and hope they stay up, a properly prepared manager/team should be able to beat them (unless its one of those days!).

Whats up with Coleman? I d love to think Wigan at home is the perfect game to start Ross. Against a young midfield would be a great chance to get a feel again of prem football. I say it all the time but some team is due a tonking. I rate McArthur highly and like the look of Kone. Gonna say 3-0 Jelly 2, Ross

Rather play Oviedo, before Neville or Hiltz.

Howard

Coleman jags Distin Baines

Pienaar Osman Gibson Oviedo

Anichebe Jelavic

If no Coleman, Neville at fullback if Hibberts not available, should still be too strong for Wigan.

Clean sheet please

Edited by Bill

Gibson will be available. He will miss Cheltenham away if the card isn't overturned, and Swansea at home if the appeal is deemed frivolous.

From the OS "The Blues will submit the paperwork on Christmas Eve and due to the FA protocol it does mean that Gibson will be able to participate in the Boxing Day clash with Wigan Athletic.

Everton’s case will be heard on Thursday 27 December and expect to hear the outcome of the appeal later this week."

Hoping Coleman is able to play. This Jags at rb deal is tough to take. I would like to see:

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Osman Neville Hitzlsperger Pienaar

Jelavic Anichebe

OR (with no Coleman):

Howard

Neville Jags Distin Baines

Pienaar Osman Hitzlsperger Oviedo

Barkley

Jelavic

thats got to be the worst central midfield combination in the league how were forth in this league with players like them around the first 11 is mad its bad enough playing 1 of them there just not mobile enough and stand off all the time at home thats really what not to do,

pienaar should be in the middle if oviedo plays imo just to keep the ball and thread it through on the floor it would be a lightweight midfield of osman pienaar and barkley but imo it would be better to play that and pass it rather than battle all game with a team looking for a fight away from home.

We can definetly have Gibbo in the squad cant we? He can play until his appeal has been reviewed, is that correct?

I hope moyes dosnt put out a shite squad, we should really be going for this match with guns blazing. I saw someone mention dropping Jelly and putting Anichebe in there instead. To be honest mate if it was any other game I would, but Jelly needs a game like this to put one or two passed the keeper and build his confidence.

Howard

Skipper, Jags, Distin, Baines

Naismith, Gibbo, Osman, Nuts

Jelly, Anichebe

Im feeling confident that Jelly will score. Just in my gut like.

I fucking hope he does anyway.

thats got to be the worst central midfield combination in the league how were forth in this league with players like them around the first 11 is mad its bad enough playing 1 of them there just not mobile enough and stand off all the time at home thats really what not to do,

pienaar should be in the middle if oviedo plays imo just to keep the ball and thread it through on the floor it would be a lightweight midfield of osman pienaar and barkley but imo it would be better to play that and pass it rather than battle all game with a team looking for a fight away from home.

What's so bad about Hitzlsperger? I think he's done well. Has demonstrated his passing ability and won possession a fair bit.

we need quick Def mids and backs against Wigan - they play the long ball but along the ground for Kone and Gomez to pounce -

i would play Oviedo with Gibson as def mid cause Neville is too slow to intercept the long passes through the middle-

then i would bring back Coleman at right back for his speed and attacking options -

our left and right backs should not play too deep - that is where Wigan catches you off guard and our def mids should help the back 4 more in defense than they did against WestHam-

would also like to see Barkley and Velios given a run -

Moyes should be as brave as Steve Clarke from WestBrom and drop his main striker (Long) (Jelavic in our case) when he does not perform and bring him on in 2nd half as impact player after giving other young hungry striker like Velios a chance to prove himself

Wasn't last season a depressing draw at home with this opposition. We didn't play well and they got a 1 - 1 score to take home if I recall.

Could it happen again, but you have to think, on the back of two fine results, and the players at our disposal, even with Fellaini out once more and with the crowd behind us, we do have to be favorites for this and that should be enough. Unbeaten at home all season and it would be a mammoth disappointment to let that go before end of year, but I simply can't see Athletic getting a win for this.

But this time of year, always an array of bizarre and surprise results, so you never can tell, but still quietly confident