IGNORED

Everton v Chelsea 30th Dec 13:30

Avinalaff

I’ve got to say, I was very worried when the side was announced, particularly looking at the subs. I had another little worry when we took the lead so early too. I had visions of the FA Cup Final in ’09 when we just sat back after going a goal up and letting them come at us. I needn’t have worried though; the starting 11 were absolutely brilliant, the subs all acquitted themselves well I thought, and we definitely did not sit back after taking the lead. In fact, for half an hour or so we absolutely steamrolled them. They couldn’t handle us and we created so many chances to go even further in front. We played a perfect game for that period; whenever they had the ball we pressed them into making a mistake or just took the ball from them ourselves, then we attacked with pace and skill and tore them apart. It’s one of the most enjoyable periods of play that I’ve seen from us. The lads ran themselves into the ground for the cause and it’s a shame that couldn’t have put at least one more of our chances away because we were never going to be able to keep that sort of play up, and we didn’t and Chelsea came right back into the game. It was inevitable that they’d get a goal back and they did. Half time came at a good time for us because we were out on our feet and needed the rest.

We weren’t quite so good at stopping Chelsea playing in the second half; I’d say we didn’t stop them playing at all tbh. It was much more of an end to end game this half. However, our attacking play was still quality and we created more than enough chances to win the game. Again though, we didn’t put any of our chances away and Chelsea duly punished us by scoring again when a chance fell to them. I would say though, that our failure to convert our chances was more down to a lack of luck rather than wastefulness. By the time they got their goal we didn’t have much left in the tank and I felt that maybe Moyes could have made at least one change earlier; before Chelsea took the lead.

I was gutted by the result because we played so well but you can’t level any criticism at the players because they put everything into it and on another day we’d have at least got a point, if not a victory.

Howard – He made some absolutely top drawer saves to give us the opportunity to win this game.

Jagielka – I thought he had a brilliant game. He was excellently defensively and never shirked his attacking responsibility either. It was his ball into the box that played such a big part in us taking the lead.

Heitinga and Distin – I thought the pair of them were superb, particularly Distin. They both dealt well with Torres and any of their other attacking players that floated about near our goal. Distin also put in a world class challenge near the end of the game to save Barkley’s bacon. It was just perfect.

Baines – His energy levels were on another level. I really don’t know how he does it. He was up and down his flank non-stop. And his link-up play with our other players was just another planet. However, his delivery at the minute is shit. So it’s all good and well getting in positions to put the ball into the box, or taking a free-kick/corner, but if the delivery is crap then it’s pointless. He needs to get back to what we know he’s capable of in that regard.

Naismith – On the way home from the game I heard people criticising Naismith’s performance, but I thought he had a brilliant game. In other games he’s looked lazy or off the pace, but yesterday he was full of running and worked his arse off. And his understanding with our players was much improved I felt. I do think out on the wing is the wrong position for him but that’s where he’s at at the moment.

Hitzlsperger – Steady. That’s about all I can say about his performance.

Osman – He was pure quality. When he plays like he did yesterday you really think he could play for the best sides around. He pulled the strings from the centre of the park and was, I felt, the main reason for us being on top in the early part of the game. He was all over the Chelsea player when they had the ball, he used the ball intelligently; passing at the right time or using his quick feet to take the ball forward when it was called for. He’s such a clever and classy player. My MOTM.

Pienaar – You can say exactly the same things about his performance as you can about Osman, but I felt he was at times a little wasteful and he faded badly in the second half. If he’d managed to keep it going he probably would have gotten my MOTM vote due to his goal. I did love that he swapped with Vic throughout the game, and he looked brilliant just behind Jelavic.

Anichebe – I was very impressed with him yesterday. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him work as hard as he did yesterday. In other games he’d run full pelt and then laze about for the next 10 minutes, but yesterday that didn’t happen, he just kept working and working. One time he ran from one side of the pitch right over the left to cover for Pienaar who had been caught out of position. He was also unlucky not have got our goal himself with a brilliant header that unfortunately hit the post. He should keep his place next to Jelavic and Fellaini should have to come back into midfield to get a place in the side.

Jelavic – I thought he had a really good game and on another day he could have had at least a couple of goals. He ran his socks off just like the rest of the lads and he actually used his body well for a change. He got no protection from Webb at all; he was constantly being dragged about by their players and fouls just weren’t given. If not for the woodwork we’d be talking about two brilliant bits of play by him; Cech was never getting near his free-kick, and his header in the second half was fucking brilliant. The only chance he wasted was that one right at the end. He’s going to come good again soon; hopefully it’ll be against Newcastle.

I see where Dalziel K is coming from - it is not a level playing field out there and clubs that get where they are through being able to chuck money about pisses me off too. We can hold our heads high, we have great players who - largely - love our club and play their guts out for us. If the woodwork hadn't got in the way we would have won though a draw would have been a fair result. Onwards to beat the Barcodes, please!.

On the whole it was a brilliant performance. Only thought Heitinga looked a liability, constantly misreading aerial balls and getting we'll beaten in challenges. A la American, he needs to sack up. Also thought Naismith soldnhimself like a schoolboy everytime he tried to chalenge Cole. Can't believe fat frank got plaudits for that performance, apart from the goals, one of which was pooor marking and the other a flubbed clearance, he was wank. Any other day we get to half up 3-0 and the game is over. If we can takebthe same attitude and energy to Newcastle we'll dominate.