IGNORED

Newcastle v Everton 2nd Jan 20:00

Avinalaff

Well, we've played much better than that and not got what we deserved.

I was so frustrated watching us in the first half. Our defence was an absolute shambles, I feared for us every single time Newcastle attacked us, and felt like hiding whenever they got a free-kick they could put into our box. Obviously it was the defence that cost us right at the beginning of the game to see us fall behind, but things didn't improve, we always looked susceptible. At the other end we had lots of the ball and created chances but we just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net; Krul was having a stormer and I really felt it just wasn't going to be our night. Fortunately Baines hit a rocket of a free-kick to get us back on level terms before half time. If we'd gone in behind I think a point would have been the most we'd have taken from this game, so it was a crucial goal, IMO.

There's not all that much to say about the second half tbh. We got our second goal with about half an hour to go and then basically shut up shop and were only really interested in hitting Newcastle on the break because they had to come at us. I'd have preferred for us to keep on playing as we were and hopefully get a third, but it wasn't to be and we held out for the three points. Our winning goal was brilliantly worked down our left (what a surprise!) between Baines, Fellaini and Jelavic. It was just such a crafted goal. I loved it.

Where I felt we really failed was in the centre of the park. Neville and Osman were poor and it was like we had a big gaping hole in the middle of our side. Fortunately it didn't cost us but a better side would have crucified us down the middle, but as the game wore on they were getting more and more joy down that avenue.

Howard – Made some quality saves while the centre backs in front of him did their best to fuck things up!

Jagielka – He was solid. Didn’t venture forward too much and stuck to his task defensively.

Heitinga and Distin – Just what the fuck where the pair of them doing for their goal?! It was ridiculous. I didn’t think either one of them looked comfortable at any point during the game. Heitinga in particular had a torrid night. Even Obertan mugged him at one point, and that’s got to be the height of embarrassment. Every time the play went anywhere near Heitinga I got very nervous.

Baines – How many Weetabix does this bloke have for breakfast?! Another game where he put in an insane shift. I really don’t know how he does it. He never stopped running up and down his flank, his delivery was a bit better than it has been, he was involved in everything we did (played a big part in our winner), and scored THAT goal. After that goal went in I just sat back and admired. It was a beauty. My MOTM.

Naismith – Awful. You’d be forgiven for not even knowing he was on the pitch. I don’t think he played a single forward pass, his touch was terrible and he just wasn’t involved.

Neville – If someone can tell me what he did that was of any use to us last night I’d be interested to know. I thought he was a passenger right from the off, and he only got worse as the game progressed and his legs went. Play simply bypassed him.

Osman – I thought he had a really poor game. He wasn’t involved in our attacks and was hopeless at stopping

Newcastle from attacking us; their players just waltzed past him like he wasn’t even there. His legs seemed like they were made of lead.

Pienaar – He was ok, nothing special though. He worked hard and tried to make things happen but more often than not he flattered to deceive.

Fellaini – I thought he had a very up and down game. He’s clearly not a player who benefits from games out because he looked rusty. He took quite a while to even get involved in the game and when he did he wasn’t all that we’ve come to expect from him, IMO. His touch wasn’t first rate and he was a bit sloppy with the ball; highlighted by that ridiculous back heel in his own half! I would expect him to be much better in our upcoming games as he gets back into the swing of things.

Jelavic – He may not have gotten himself on the score sheet but he put in another great performance. He worked his bum off for the side and set up Anichebe with a perfect ball across the box. The goals will come.

Great win with 2 beautiful goals -

their goal involved some luck and bad defending - i think Howard misjudged the kick and would have had it covered if he stayed on his line -

Neville and Osman looked like 2 dads playing with the teenagers - out of sorts sortof - Oviedo and Gibson are streets better than those 2 -

Fellaini should go back to midfield - that is another option for the Neville\Osman weak link -

Jelavic has had enough chances now - he must rest or find his form somewhere else - not in vital games we have to win -

Anichebe should now now be our main striker with Velios or Mirallas up front -

Baines is a better attacking player than the defensive left back he is playing - playing him def mid will bring him even more into the game - while playing a full on defensive left back like Popov of WestBrom or Henrique of Liverpool might assist in us getting the clean sheets we've forgotten how to attain

It might be just me but on Sky last night Baines got critised for allowing Cisse to score with that header but im sure Bainesy is expecting Dystin or Jonny to win the header and he was off on his toes ready to start an attack. Was a sunday league goal though

It might be just me but on Sky last night Baines got critised for allowing Cisse to score with that header but im sure Bainesy is expecting Dystin or Jonny to win the header and he was off on his toes ready to start an attack. Was a sunday league goal though

Distin was marking his man, and took him out. Baines was at fault for allowing Cisse to attack unchallenged. Heitinga was responsible for his own area, despite challenging, so not responsible for Cisse. For me, Baines should have prevented the header.

IMO it was Distin and Heitinga's lack of communication that caused the goal. They should have sorted who went for the ball between them and the player who didnt go for it should have dropped back and probably would have won the second ball. Harsh to blame baines imo...

Im with this. One of them should have gone for the ball in the air and the other should have dropped off. Heitinga completely misread it and I havent got a clue what Distin was doing. You could argue that Baines should have still followed Cisse in but we should have dealt with the first ball and not let it bounce.

Maybe I didn't give the team enough credit for their endeavors on Tyneside the other night, but it was the middle of the night and wasn't quite thinking on all fronts after some absinthe and brandy consumption. Won't be doing that again in a damn rush.

Point being, I never thought we could win up there. Ok they've had their problems, but it's a difficult venue for any team, and I didn't expect three points, but once again, that was a very good result and won't change with Jagielka as MOTM. That's only three defeats with half the season gone and it's still going good with everything to play for, and what with that FA cup game coming up fast and some subsequent games against winnable opposition, there is reason for optimism here.