IGNORED

Southampton (Away)

Zoo

Sorry for the google translation. Here is the view of a well respected football journalist in Sweden. I think he got it spot on. (might be a bit hard to follow due to the crap translation by google)

Five conclusions from Southampton Everton

Posted January 22, 2013, at 01:02 | by JohnDoe

Goalkeepers kept down the numbers

In advance, I looked forward to seeing how the former AIK defender Jos Hooiveld would fare against Marouane Fellaini.

But the first half was something else entirely. Southampton ran over Everton complete and it was instead about Rickie Lambert v Phil Jagielka / Sylvain Distin. The meeting won Southampton striker at knock by taking away several times and fire a series of trades. Fortunately for Everton's Tim Howard ready to move into.

America accounted for three-four qualified saves and kept his team left in the game before the break.

Southampton was good, no doubt, but it was a long time since I saw Everton so pale.

It was therefore expected that David Moyes would go into the break, surface a little and scare up a boost in the second. So it became.

Everton became more closely the clearance gap. Séamus Coleman When pulled on a stretch David Moyes could throw in Victor Anichebe from the bench and lifted the Nigerian Team.

Everton took over the event and created three or four really good chances. But then took Artur Boruc in the home goal over Howard's patented role as savior points. The Pole, who had a tough start in England, has grown in recent matches and this was perhaps his best game in the Premier League.

Goalkeeper The match ended in a draw, the match also.

Schneiderlin - a great midfield topic

You will recall that I highlighted Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin earlier. The midfielder was huge when the team fought to them 2-2 at Stamford Bridge and yesterday against Everton, he replied to another great match.

The Frenchman took the midfield and was deservedly the man of the match.

Again and again he showed his ability to win the ball. Schneiderlin has for some time topped the tackle statistics in the Premier League. Against Everton he did not disappoint: He handed out four tackles, all succeeded.

What I like Schneiderlin is that he is both the stern, Tuffe defensive midfielder who wins the ball well enough with the ball to play a central role in the construction game.

Morgan Schneider Lens way to the Premier League is a bit odd. He turned down an offer from Arsenal at age 16 to go clear home school in Strasbourg. Instead, he moved to Southampton 18 years old and had to hang on the trip up from League One.

- I learned so much. You learn physically, of duels, to take the ball back. You may tackles from all sides in League One, tackles that would be a red card in France, but is not anything here. I could not have learned it elsewhere. You can not teach in the academy, he said last fall in an interview with The Times.

Today he is 22 years old and one of the league's most promising defensive midfielder. Arsenal and Manchester United have previously scoutat him.

Do not be surprised if Morgan Schneiderlin pops up in a bigger club in the near future.

Promising start for Pochettino

It was a lot of talk before the game about storm of protest from Southampton fans against the club kicked Nigel Adkins.

But new manager Mauricio Pochettino had no frosty reception like Rafael Benítez in Chelsea. Sure, the audience figure was the lowest this season and one supporter held up a placard with the words "Thank you, Nigel Adkins'. But more than that, it was not. Southamptonpubliken may realize that the team needs their support for the contract to be rescued.

What was Southampton during their new coach? Good. Really good.

Argentine went 4-2-3-1-system and gave the order to push high. Morgan Schneiderlin said afterwards that they "had to not let Everton play."

The tactic worked. Everton never found any rhythm. "Saints" really did most things right in the first half but goals. Gastón Ramirez was very good as ten and Rickie Lambert had four good chances and should have put at least one goal.

Mauricio Pochettino, who conducted interviews with interpreters, did debut with distinction.

Chairman Nicola Cortese could exhale.

A loss would have meant that the new project had to work against the wind. Now, the audience got to see enough good tendencies for daring to believe in a bright spring.

Jelavic looking for target shape

What happened to Nikica Jelavic? When the striker joined Everton in January last year from Rangers, he made goals in all. Croatian was the league's best penalty player and his nine goals in ten starts (plus three appearances) gossip about how quickly he adapted himself.

But now he's awfully hard to find the right.

Yesterday against Southampton was served Jelavic a golden opportunity by Victor Anichebe. But instead of doing what he do best - finish in a crackdown - managed to entangle his feet and missed the ball. It symbolized a player who acts without self-confidence.

Since 6 October Jelavic has made two league goals in 15 matches. David Moyes said afterwards that he will continue with the 27-year-old, the achievement is a matter of time.

Everton's hopes of reaching fourth place can keep on getting Nikica Jelavic.

Brilliant song

There was a funny incident during the match. In the second half went Southampton's Jason Puncheon into the locker room. He needed to go to the toilet.

As he jogged onto the field again a few minutes later sued Southampton fans up in chorus:

"He goes for a shit, he goes for a shit, Jason Puncheon, he goes for a shit."

When Puncheon heard the song he could not not help but laugh.

Mauricio Pochettino commented on the event:

- When players get a new coach, they can get a little nervous ...

Where to begin?

Last night was a car crash. And a car crash in slow motion because of the complete lack of any sort of urgency or bite to our play. It was actually embarrassing watching us labour about the pitch, particularly in the first half. I mean, we weren't even capable of taking a quick throw in ffs! Earlier in the season our play was mouth watering, but right now we couldn't play our way out of a paper fucking bag.

The first half was possibly the worst I've seen us play this season. There was no movement anywhere, no speed of play (except snail speed), no creativity, no cohesion, no bite, no physicality, and, quite frankly, no effort from most of our players. Our full-backs failed to get into the game, and coupled with our two wide midfielders drifting inside constantly meant we had zero width so the midfield area was extremely clogged up. So we needed our central midfielders to step up and control things, but they as well have been playing musical statues with the music off for all the movement they provided. Osman and Neville were absolutely non-existent. Once again, the game just went on around the pair of them without them ever getting involved in things. Neville is there to provide protection for the defence and to give the defence an out ball to get us moving forward; he failed, miserably. Osman didn't make up for being no help to Neville by being an attacking source; he was useless going forward. Southampton were able to walk right through the middle of us. And I stress the walk. It was effortless for them with these two. Due to our non-existent midfield the defence was under pressure with the ball. They either gave the ball to one of the midfielders and they lost it or missed them out all together and lumped it up the field. The lumping up the field wouldn't have been too bad if it had been accurate but more often than not it was to no one. That then meant that Jelavic and Fellaini were feeding off scraps and basically had nothing to work with.

The second half was slightly better but that was only after Coleman was injured, Neville was moved out of midfield, Fellaini dropped back into midfield and Anichebe came on to partner Jelavic. We now had a degree of control in midfield and we had Anichebe that gave the Southampton defence something different to think about because he was willing to go in behind with the ball at his feet. We instantly looked dangerous and could have got two goals in a very short period of time. Having Vic up there with him really seemed to give Jelavic a boost and he looked a different player, alive where he'd previously been passive, and really should have got a goal. That's why I was surprised that he was subbed at this point for Mirallas.

All in all, a point flattered us and we were lucky to get it.

After last night it is abundantly clear to me that these two simply cannot be our central midfield pairing; they're too old and slow to play together, it's making it too easy for the opposition to come through us. Until Gibson is back I would beg Moyes to play Fellaini in midfield and drop one of Osman and Neville. The only time we ever had any sort of control in midfield was when he'd been dropped into his natural position.

Howard - Made some crucial saves in the first half. However, as often as I wanted to kiss him for keeping us in the game I also wanted to strangle him for his poor distribution and odd fascination with not wanting to grab the ball when making a save even when it was simple.

Coleman - Never really had an opportunity to get into the game and then got injured. I hope he's not out for too long. I thought he did reasonably well defending against Shaw.

Jagielka and Distin - Defensively I thought they were pretty sound and played a big part in us managing to keep Southampton scoreless. Although, the free header Lambert got from a corner was all on Distin. However, the crap distribution was also a major part of why we struggled to get anything going. I would like them to start hoofing each other so that they how annoying it is.

Baines - Didn't really manage to be an attacking threat and even when he did manage to get in a good position his delivery was pretty woeful.

Naismith - The effort was there but the application wasn't. With each passing game he shows more and more why he shouldn't be playing on the right. Last night he was constantly drifting inside so that Coleman was on his own with no options. His touch was shocking, again. He fell over more times than I can remember. The one time he did anything useful is when he linked up with Jelavic after drifting inside. So I'm baffled as to why Moyes won't try him behind Jelavic just to see if they can get each other going. What is there to lose by giving it a go? Playing him out wide is handicapping us, so please stop it! I will say though that he wins an unbelievable amount of headers for a man his size. It's Cahill-esque.

Osman - Looked like he was running in quicksand. His attempts at stopping Southampton coming through us were diabolical. He'd just stick a leg out as if to say "look gaffer, I am trying". And he failed completely in his main role in the side; creativity and attacking play. He was so off the pace it was unbelievable; he'd either dwell on the ball and lose it or pass it sideways and then stand motionless hoping someone else would make something happen. The most galling thing for me though was that when he'd lose the ball he'd just trot back rather than break his neck trying to get back.

Neville - He was as useless as Osman was. Didn't protect the defence in the slightest; he may as well have been the invisible man. His passing was as good as it usually is i.e. shite.

Pienaar - In recent weeks he'd look like he was finding his form again but last night he looked right back at square one. Like Naismith, his effort was there but the application was not. And also like Naismith he drifted inside far too much which congested the midfield and made us too narrow.

Fellaini - In the first half he was playing the role of five players - the role of a supporting striker and the four midfield spots behind him because of the useless fuckers who occupied those midfield spots. He was popping up on both wings (doing the work of Naismith and Pienaar), trying to move us forward down the middle (Osman's role), breaking up play (Neville's role) and then supporting Jelavic (his own role). Despite having to be five players in one I thought he was easily our best player in the first half, and even more so in the second half once moved back into midfield. Once moved back we got some control in the game and finally a bit of composure on the ball. Now we had someone there who was willing to drive on with the ball and was also capable of quickly assessing things around him and picking the right pass to make. My MOTM.

Jelavic - There was no service to him whatsoever in the first half. He must have thought he was at a self-service checkout at Asda. Second half and the introduction of Anichebe brought about a massive change in him and came alive. He now had someone up there to move the defenders away from him and give him space. Highlighted perfectly by the glorious chance Anichebe made for him. Him missing it almost made my heart stop :(. Just when he now had someone to help him out we decided to sub him dont know.gif .

Anichebe - A special mention for Vic. I thought he was a cut above when he came on and gave us an added dimension, not to mention it made Jelavic look a different player too. He ran hard, he used his physical presence well (turning defenders to get in behind), showed a good turn of pace once he'd got in behind, showed good decision making once he'd got in behind too, could have got an assist and a goal to his name. He's earned a starting position. I just hope it's upfront and not on the right (despite me being desperate for Naismith to be shifted from that spot).

Just to highlight something, I will always give credit where it is due, and if a player changes or improves to make me alter that opinion I will (i did with felli). Some people want to be proven right (odd) - I dont.

Vic is that person that i'm prepared to alter my opinion - although with the caviat that his attitude remains on a steady improving plane. I think the ability has been there - it was his attitude that stopped it. Has the penny dropped? lets hope so.

great report Romey -

i suggest the following solutions :

sort out our strikeforce out by rotating\combining Jelavic, Anichebe and Velios depending on form and opposition - let the strikers be strikers - if all fails give Naismith a chance from the bench to play behind Jelavic and not wide - playing with 2 strikers up front is not against the rules

midfield needs Fellaini in it and Gibson or Oviedo with Pienaar and Mirallas - Osman \ Hitzelsperger as backup - my wildcard is to try Baines ar def mid which brings him closer to where he likes to play - out of position on attack - no Uncle Neville ever again please - especially not with Uncle Osman as partner - practice cones are more of an obstacle than them in midfield -

Coleman \ Distan \ Jags | Baines \ Oviedo \ Heitinga should do the job - least of my worries - Howard must work on his weak points - long balls and distribution -

and lastly - give the youngsters a go - the energy and unpredictabillity is urgently needed to bring back the spark - look how impressive was the 17 year old Shaw at leftback for Southampton -

Neville and Naismith only used as subs if someone has a very bad day -

Hard to put into words how awful it was last night so im not going to try. Neville needs to be dropped. How many teams have a 36 year old in the centre of the park that plays every game? none. Play Felli in his place and super Kev in behind vic/jelly and lets get a winger in.

Hard to put into words how awful it was last night so im not going to try. Neville needs to be dropped. How many teams have a 36 year old in the centre of the park that plays every game? none. Play Felli in his place and super Kev in behind vic/jelly and lets get a winger in.

As much as I like Neville its just not practical to play him anymore.

Well at least that's two games without a goal against us now, whereas before we couldn't keep a clean game for anything you could imagine.

In all seriousness, it was further points lost in a pursuit of a european cup place and other sides in the vicinity picked up points at the weekend and it wasn't a performance of the season was it. But nobody said it was going to be easy against a side that has done well recently and all the business of a new managerial figure. Any hope of a European Cup place at end of season looked distant on Monday. Jelavic problems continue, and never know what to expect from Anichebe but did good when introduced, and was one of the few players who deserved recognition along with Tim Howard. On that performance alone, especially first half, I really don't fancy chances of anything this season, let alone any european place. Any Bolton Wanderers supporters who caught significant coverage of Monday night would have been damn encouraged for the next game. Weather conditions didn't fucking help much either. Performance and night to forget for most, apart from the introduction of a new manager, that did generate a considerable amount of attention. But that was damn poor entertainment.