IGNORED

Predicting the surprise teams for the coming season

Last year, maybe Swansea and WBA were the two teams that did surprisingly better than expected, whereas Stoke and Newcastle were perhaps the two surprise disappointments. What about for the current season?

For surprises on the positive side, I'll predict Villa and Sunderland improving on last season's performance. On the negative side, I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool struggle, and Newcastle have the potential to self-destruct.

As for Everton, I'll leave the discussion to the thread and poll in the General Everton Discussion section. :)

Isn't Laudrup still with Swansea. if so, they could surprise one or two people, winning the league cup this year was a fine achievement.

Who were the promoted sides ? Palace, Cardiff and I can't remember the other. They will have money to spend from their promotion bonuses but even then, don't think will help much. Sunderland could be one to watch. Nobody likes a trip to The Stadium of Light. (Roker Park was so much better)

Im with Villa. They started playing really well at the end of last season and their kids would have learnt a lot, although it will depend on what happens with Benteke to some degree.

Southampton may be interesting now as well with Pochettino being give more time and money to get his own players.

Im not sure Sunderland will do that well. I dont really expect Di Canio to still be there come Christmas.

Im with Villa. They started playing really well at the end of last season and their kids would have learnt a lot, although it will depend on what happens with Benteke to some degree.

Southampton may be interesting now as well with Pochettino being give more time and money to get his own players.

Im not sure Sunderland will do that well. I dont really expect Di Canio to still be there come Christmas.

He'll probably be on a paradise island somewhere by then, maybe Antigua for example

Where would you rather be.

This coupled with the fact that they're buying even more exciting youngsters.

Helenius I rate quite highly, he's an absolute monster (6'5) and knows where the goal is. WHen we've been linked with Cornelius, I kind of hoped we were actually looking an Nick (Helenius).

Jores Okore, incredible potential. Great player. Still really young. Can pass, tackle, read the game, intercept, hold his ground, hit good speeds...that kid has the lot. Potential to be one of the best defenders in the league (in the future). Check out his highlight reel against Chelsea. Impressive.

Bacuna is an interesting one, potential to win a game single handedly. Bit like Ashley Young, but not a complete bellend or quite as scrawny. Good set piece taker too.

Don't think Bacuna will be getting a lot of games for Villa to be honest. A lot worse than Holman and El Ahmadi were and they didn't have much of an impact.

Isn't it a bit early for this thread too? Who knows what the squads will look like.

Folk can change their vote as the window progresses etc.

I don't think there will be many, or any, surprises. A few will flatter to deceive, early on, such as West Brom, as usual, and Sunderland before their regular awful last 25 games and either Hull or Cardiff will start like heroes before fading fast.

I hope Villa go down, disappear into obscurity, taking Newcastle with them and both grounds are demolished to make way for new Aldi supermarkets or Tesco Expresses, I'm not really bothered which, or turn one into a drop in centre for deluded gobshites and the other into a drop in centre for deluded gobshites.

I expect Crystal Palace to go down.

Surprise teams:

toffees

hammers

villains if Benteke stays

Manchester City

Dissappointments:

Sunderland

Norwich

Newcastle but better than last season

West Brom

Manchester United

Tottenham Hotspur

General thoughts: I'd expect the EPL top of the table to be a bit more flattened out. I mean that I think ManU will be somewhat less, Chelsea and Man City a little better, Arsenal will step up a bit more and dare I say Liverpool will probably be better. But I won't make the mistake again to say they'll be CL-spot contenders. I think EFC will be one of those overachievers, so I think it's going to be very close in the top of the table.

Edited by Mirallas

• 4 weeks later...

Southampton are 2-3 players short of being a top 10 team IMO. Another 1st team cb, a winger and a forward would make them a very strong prospect.

I'd like to add Norwich, Sunderland and Swansea - all are making some really good moves in the transfer market. It'll be interesting to see what impact the new owners at Fulham have too.

Mirallas - what will Everton have to do do be a surprise team for you? Im expecting place 6-9 so for me a surprise would have to be 1-4 with 5th as a slight over performance.

Same with Man Utd, im expecting them to get 1-3 so anything below 5th would be dissappointing. 4th slightly below par.

My surprise for this year is Norwich, top ten finish.

Villa will drop out of the league.

Norwich and Swansea -- Norwich has made some excellent signings. I think Swansea have a done well to get Bony, and they weren't even that bad last year.

Sunderland, also. I'm curious to see how Altidore does on his return to the PL. He's a different player now than when he was before AZ Alkmar. I'm expecting him to have a good season.

Just saw Swansea's friendly against ADO Den Haag (God, I want the new season to start already :D). They won 1-0. Somewhat surprisingly, Jonjo Shelvey was by far their best player. I could actually see him turn out to be quite an astute acquisition. Then there's Bony, who I like a lot, similar player to Yakubu imo. And a couple of new Spaniards to provide competition for places. They should finish in the half of the table again, I don't know whether you'd call that surprising, but it would be a good accomplishment for them imo.

Just saw Swansea's friendly against ADO Den Haag (God, I want the new season to start already :D). They won 1-0. Somewhat surprisingly, Jonjo Shelvey was by far their best player. I could actually see him turn out to be quite an astute acquisition. Then there's Bony, who I like a lot, similar player to Yakubu imo. And a couple of new Spaniards to provide competition for places. They should finish in the half of the table again, I don't know whether you'd call that surprising, but it would be a good accomplishment for them imo.

My outside bet for a top 6 finish is Swansea too, I think they have had to invest heavily in the squad because of european football this coming season, they wont be caught short with numbers that''s for sure, was the game away at Den Hag Steve? Also did Taylor the Welsh full back play? Looking forward to having him back in the national team.

My outside bet for a top 6 finish is Swansea too, I think they have had to invest heavily in the squad because of european football this coming season, they wont be caught short with numbers that''s for sure, was the game away at Den Hag Steve? Also did Taylor the Welsh full back play? Looking forward to having him back in the national team.

Yeah, the game was in The Hague. They've had their training camp there and are returning to Wales later today according to the commentator during the game. Taylor played in the first half, Ben Davies in the second half. Don't think they'll get top 6 though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Agree with the Swansea shouts. They play great football and have added a striker of real quality in Bony. I know Michu scored goals last season up front but he's probably better starting deeper.

You guys too, if top four or five for you can be considered a 'surprise'. Probably a big ask but definitely doable.

Southampton are a club who are doing the right things. They have a gentle start to the season and if they begin well they could carry that on. I think Gaston Ramirez could do great things for them.

In terms of potential 'surprise' players (perhaps surprise isn't the right word, more players who will have excellent seasons but who you may not expect to be amongst the best performing players in the league):

Bony, G Ramirez, Van Wolfswinkel, Deulofeu, Kagawa, Coleman, Coutinho, Amorebieta, to name a few. I'm also thinking that Navas is going to be superb - been one of my favourite players for years and is tailor-made for PL football. Hope Pellegrini starts him often rather than using him as an impact player.

Edited by Nikica

I'd like to see a return of clubs like Swansea, Southampton and WBA doing well and challenging near the top of the league again. Watford should have been promoted last season and they also came close to a league championship around the same time the others were involved, so there's one or two names there, that while not being expected to fully duplicate their success from before, would be pleasing to see them back and challenging once again, even if for a UEFA (fuck that, Europa League) place. Damn boring with the same names always involved near the top of the league., Even if we could get back to something resembling 30 or 35 years ago, it would be something.

• 2 weeks later...