IGNORED

Slight Concern - Wages

Lowensda

As some of you know by now, we have enlisted the help of one Gareth Barry.

I for one, am rather pleased with the signing, great feedback from City fans and professionals alike and I think he has the attributes that can help the development of both McCarthy and Barkley.

However, the more and more I read into the transfer/loan deal, the more it's becoming concerning. I have read on several sites/papers (never the most reliable sources, I agree) that we are picking up his entire £120k-a-week wages. Now, I understand that may be what it takes to encourage a seasoned professional, at one of the biggest clubs in the land but where does that leave us going forward?

If we do sign Baines to a new deal, does Barry's wages become the benchmark? If reports are true we have obliterated our wage structure, by at least £50k, nearly double what our highest earners are on.

Will this cause us problems in the future, now that teams know we can pay that much or that players can demand that much?

I am still hoping that we're not paying all of his wages, and that City are covering the vast majority, only leaking false information to the tabloids to not upset their own fanbase.

I don't know, maybe just a small concern but it's one that could grow as time moves on. What is Baines realistic worth? What is he worth a week to Everton? Can we afford him...

As some of you know by now, we have enlisted the help of one Gareth Barry.

I for one, am rather pleased with the signing, great feedback from City fans and professionals alike and I think he has the attributes that can help the development of both McCarthy and Barkley.

However, the more and more I read into the transfer/loan deal, the more it's becoming concerning. I have read on several sites/papers (never the most reliable sources, I agree) that we are picking up his entire £120k-a-week wages. Now, I understand that may be what it takes to encourage a seasoned professional, at one of the biggest clubs in the land but where does that leave us going forward?

If we do sign Baines to a new deal, does Barry's wages become the benchmark? If reports are true we have obliterated our wage structure, by at least £50k, nearly double what our highest earners are on.

Will this cause us problems in the future, now that teams know we can pay that much or that players can demand that much?

I am still hoping that we're not paying all of his wages, and that City are covering the vast majority, only leaking false information to the tabloids to not upset their own fanbase.

I don't know, maybe just a small concern but it's one that could grow as time moves on. What is Baines realistic worth? What is he worth a week to Everton? Can we afford him...

I think we will have created a way of making it 'non wages' - i.e pay Man city the 'loan fee' of £2.5m (which goes to Barry) and then he gets £50k a week or whatever makes up the difference.

Probably come from the 'operating costs' line.

It does worry me as well if we are picking up all of his wages but I don't think Kenwright would be that stupid. I think you are right in saying City have fed something to their fan base to soften the blow as if they said yes we are picking up half of his wages and he is going free next season then a lot of fans wouldn't be happy. As they would be paying him to play at another club next season. Also I don't think Baines is the type of player to demand more money.

We can't afford to pay £120k a week wages. It's only because there was no loan fee and the sale of players has made money available to cover the costs. Presumably Everton officials would have preferred to be paying a lower amount - otherwise the deal would have been made earlier on the deadline day. Personally, I think that both clubs were haggling to get a good deal for themselves and as it got closer to 11pm, Everton relented. At around 10pm, there were no deals yet done, yet Dave Whelan was on the radio telling everyone that the McCarthy deal was off, adding to the pressure and the Lukaku deal was also done late at night.

I mentioned it yesterday, the money brought in from the sale of Fellaini and Anichebe was enough to cover the cost of the transfer fees for Kone, Robles, McCarthy and there was enough left over to pay the wages for one year of Barry and Lukaku. There was also a bit of 'surplus' available to spend in the summer with wages as Neville, Hitzelsperger and Mucha being freed up. Now that Fellaini an Anichebe have been moved on, the total wages of our non-loanee players is likely to be lower than it was last year. I suspect that should Baines get a new contract, his wage increase will come from the wage budget that was previously allocated to Fellaini.

It depends really.

Say we have paid £2.5million as a 'bonus' rather than wages and he becomes instrumental in our team. We can then take him for free when his contract runs out ( I think he's in the last year?!) and he will be on much lower wages with him being a more senior player, say 50k for arguments sake. That means that really we have paid a £2.5m transfer fee for a player that might give us 3 seasons.

I don't think that's too unreasonable?

I guess the flip side is if he does shite then we've paid £2.5m for nothing....but it wouldn't be the first time us or any club in football has done that!

The main thing is, the kid has experience. As well as being a recognized and usually dependable player that has been on the scene for the best part of a decade and a half now. I don't usually like to discuss players wages as it only serves to irritate, but for the benefit of this thread piece, it looks as though we're only be paying a percentage of the salary, but whoever picks up the amount - £120,000 is simply too much for that playing individual. Someone mentioned what is Baines worth to us. Prices in the game have become ludicrous, but if Fellaini has a departure price of 26 million as recently witnessed, then Baines deserves to go for 25, or possibly even 30. Wages a week ? Certainly nothing like the Barry figure we have talked about. How much a week is enough for an EPL player to 'survive on' - or sufficient even ?

Baines, for all his attributes, doesn't need great amounts of cash each week - then again neither does any other player - £10,000 would seem too much for anybody, but I'm all at sea with damn prices, valuations and salaries often enough. All I can recognize, players are vastly overpaid in todays game for the most part, and then you got sponsorships and other commercial ventures just for good measure. Barry doesn't need, or doesn't justify £120,000 of anyone's cash, and neither does Baines for that matter.