IGNORED

Martin O'Neill and Republic of Ireland national team vacancy

How come Martin O'Neil is favourite to replace Trapp?

Is it because of the success he had with Celtic?

I know next to nothing about Irish politics but it seems strange that a former player who was educated in Belfast and has represented Northern Ireland at international level would be considered for the Republic of Ireland's managerial position.

Is it the County Londonderry factor? I know that he's a former player of Derry City and there's a connection with Derry players and FAI.

Or is it simply, politics aside, that Martin O'Neill is the best candidate for the job?

Will anybody else be confused that both Ireland managers could potentially be Martin and Michael O'Neill? :)

No it's because Martin O Neill is a proven manager that has brought success to individual clubs and is a recognized name that has done well for the most part, at whichever club he has undertaken. Politics really has nothing to do with it. I think O Neill could be a real success for the Republic of Ireland, and it's surprising he hasn't been involved at international level before now. Could feasibly have been England manager at some stage in the past, but I think it was their loss, he wasn't chosen. Just as when Clough was overlooked in favor of Ron Greenwood at the end of the 1970s

Realize he hasn't been given the job as of yet, and is merely one of the favorites as stated, but if they do go with him, I think he'll do a fine job. I hope the Republic see sense on this and choose the right candidate. He could do as well for them as Jack Charlton in the 1980s / 90s, if given the opportunity.

How come Martin O'Neil is favourite to replace Trapp?

Is it because of the success he had with Celtic?

I know next to nothing about Irish politics but it seems strange that a former player who was educated in Belfast and has represented Northern Ireland at international level would be considered for the Republic of Ireland's managerial position.

Is it the County Londonderry factor? I know that he's a former player of Derry City and there's a connection with Derry players and FAI.

Or is it simply, politics aside, that Martin O'Neill is the best candidate for the job?

Will anybody else be confused that both Ireland managers could potentially be Martin and Michael O'Neill? :)

Whatever way you look at it - he's a shocking manager. Belongs in the "stole a living" category. Absolute blagger.

He may actually be ok as a international manager in a way that Jack Carlton was - ie. no footballing nouse, just acts the Mr Motivator and central figure part. Jack had charisma though, O'Neill just stinks of pure arrogance.

I could run a list of the honors and achievements that Martin O Neill has collected on his managerial resume going back to Wycombe Wanderers, but no, would only get the usual "looking up statistics and reference" bullshit. Only to say, anyone who can take unfashionable clubs like Leicester City and Wycombe and make them recognized and successful (O Neill managed no fewer than three trophies at the former between 1996 - 2000, as well as other final appearances), not to mention bringing in some fine names and putting together a decent team, and also taking Celtic to a UEFA Cup Final in recent years, that they so nearly won. So people can castigate all they like, but can only recognize the man as a fine managerial figure with lots of experience and know-how. Sure, it didn't work out at every club he went to, but the Republic could do far worse than bring that name in.

If it doesn't work out, or got to plan - then so be it. But they could do a lot worse than give him that opportunity.

Someone mentioned McCarthy. As he's doing a poor job at Ipswich Town thus far, and could well be out of a job over there soon enough, but can't see the Irish bringing him back again, as he was only manager as recent as 10 years ago. Roy Keane could be another name to throw into the ring. His no-nonsense approach could be a big factor and be a real success for his home nation, although his short stint in management, was a very poor return it has to be said. Maybe he could be an improvement at international level.

Kevin Sheedy could also be a name to consider. I could see him doing well as Republic team manager.

No it's because Martin O Neill is a proven manager that has brought success to individual clubs and is a recognized name that has done well for the most part, at whichever club he has undertaken. Politics really has nothing to do with it. I think O Neill could be a real success for the Republic of Ireland, and it's surprising he hasn't been involved at international level before now. Could feasibly have been England manager at some stage in the past, but I think it was their loss, he wasn't chosen. Just as when Clough was overlooked in favor of Ron Greenwood at the end of the 1970s

Realize he hasn't been given the job as of yet, and is merely one of the favorites as stated, but if they do go with him, I think he'll do a fine job. I hope the Republic see sense on this and choose the right candidate. He could do as well for them as Jack Charlton in the 1980s / 90s, if given the opportunity.

Take away the Celtic stats from his managerial statistics and you are left with a very ordinary manager. Was not hard to win with Celtic with the team he had at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Neill#Managerial_honours

I know you rate the man DK (and Redknapp etc) but can you back it up with facts? A couple of cup wins 20 years ago isnt exactly hot commodity now.

I could run a list of the honors and achievements that Martin O Neill has collected on his managerial resume going back to Wycombe Wanderers, but no, would only get the usual "looking up statistics and reference" bullshit. Only to say, anyone who can take unfashionable clubs like Leicester City and Wycombe and make them recognized and successful (O Neill managed no fewer than three trophies at the former between 1996 - 2000, as well as other final appearances), not to mention bringing in some fine names and putting together a decent team, and also taking Celtic to a UEFA Cup Final in recent years, that they so nearly won. So people can castigate all they like, but can only recognize the man as a fine managerial figure with lots of experience and know-how. Sure, it didn't work out at every club he went to, but the Republic could do far worse than bring that name in.

If it doesn't work out, or got to plan - then so be it. But they could do a lot worse than give him that opportunity.

Someone mentioned McCarthy. As he's doing a poor job at Ipswich Town thus far, and could well be out of a job over there soon enough, but can't see the Irish bringing him back again, as he was only manager as recent as 10 years ago. Roy Keane could be another name to throw into the ring. His no-nonsense approach could be a big factor and be a real success for his home nation, although his short stint in management, was a very poor return it has to be said. Maybe he could be an improvement at international level.

Kevin Sheedy could also be a name to consider. I could see him doing well as Republic team manager.

I think the biggest over hyped media myth is busted in this great article.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/aug/15/1

Overrated, and tactically limited, got by just being a moyivator - to his pets of course. Brian clough? my arse.

He's one of a few who accepts when his side has been soundly beaten, giving credit to the opposition where due and not looking for excuses nor scapegoats placing fault with himself and with his own and his own players so in that sense he can come across as not really caring and a bit aloof.

He's not been a world-beater but not many who are appointed to an International management position have been. Different skill set between club and international management I would have thought?

• 4 weeks later...

I have always liked O'Neill and I think he is exactly the sort of manager the ROI need. His strength is motivation but you do not achieve the success he has had without having a brain and Martin certainly is savy. He did not get enough credit for getting Celtic to the UEFA Cup final where they met a good opponent who in the end resorted to dirt, cheating and time wasting in order to win it.

I would imagine Martin's politics to be of the nationalist persuasion but he represented the country of his birth with skill and pride. Others like McLean and Gibson didn't have the belly for it.

Edited by weebittight

Don't rate him at all as a club manager - don't rate him as a person. Probably could have been ok if he wasn't so fixated at trying to imitate Brian Clough and spending his spare time trying to be Cracker.

However, the ROI job may be ideal for him, not for what he can do, but what he can't do. i.e Blow millions on over priced players and ignore them creating a dressing room divide. Have a media staged battle with a chairman who supported him with millions. Have 20 players to pick a first 11 from, instead of a core of 11 that pick themselves.

He will play the passionate tracksuit wearing, water bottle throwing mascot perfectly. You won't find him hiding under a brolley adopting a new accent.

I rate him as a person. I don't really get why having an interest in criminology is a negative especially since he was studying law at Queens University for three years before he went to Forest.

Norman Whiteside told me that at the regular N.ireland World Cup anniverary meet ups O'Neill is fantastic crack and one of the last ones to bed. I like him. No matter where he went he improved things. Sunderland goofed by not trusting him - and the players there are moaning c**nts who knifed him when he departed then gurned about what they got instead. He asked for more money at Villa to take them to the next level - what an asshole <rolls eyes>

Edited by weebittight

I rate him a s a person. I don't really get why having an interest in criminology is a negative especially since he was studying law at Queens University for three years before he went to Forest.

Norman Whiteside told me that at the regular N.ireland World Cup anniverary meet ups O'Neill is fantastic crack and one of the last ones to bed. I like him. No matter where he went he improved things. Sunderland goofed by not trusting him - and the players there are moaning c**nts who knifed him when he departed then gurned about what they got instead. he asked for more money at Villa to take tham to the next level - what an asshole <rolls eyes>

My mate is a season ticket holder at Villa and he blames what Villa have had to go through at the feet of O'Neill. Collected players like Panini football stickers and kept asking for more money like a spoilt child wanting the latest laptop when they had the previous ones upopened in a box under the bed. As soon as mummy and daddy said sell your old unused ones and use the money to buy what you want the toys came flying out the room... he made out he couldn't take the club any further - more like the club weren't prepared to suffer his arrogance and flippant spending much further.

He blew £38m on reo coker, harewood, curtis davies, sidwell, shorey, heskey and knight... kept them in the reserves and refused to sell to buy any more players??? He went and blew a fair chunk of money at sunderland too.

I'm not really sure Norman Whiteside is the epitomy of professionalism or reference for a football manager - here was a player who when supposed to be rehabilitating at Everton rode his mountain bike to the pub taking a willing Ian Snodin with him instead of getting his knee right.

People say I am harsh on Moyes, well lets put it this way, Moyes is a far and away better manager than O'Neill.

Norman also saved a club a fortune when he refused a new contract and retired - and rarely let us down as a player - in spite of the hole in his femur.

What did the Villa fans say when he had them in the top six for a few seasons I wonder. was it "Fuck you Martin" you have vastly improved us?

The fourth place gives Moyes the edge on O'Neill I suppose but you cannot parade fourth place on an open top bus. Moyes may win something with United mind.

Norman also saved a club a fortune when he refused a new contract and retired - and rarely let us down as a player - in spite of the hole in his femur.

What did the Villa fans say when he had them in the top six for a few seasons I wonder. was it "Fuck you Martin" you have vastly improved us?

The fourth place gives Moyes the edge on O'Neill I suppose but you cannot parade fourth place on an open top bus. Moyes may win something with United mind.

The villa fans I know were saying Top 6 was the minimum expectation versus the money he spent - not delivering top 4 was a failure. I agree.

If Everton had Lerners money with Moyes in charge we would have had top 4 a good few times - I said that at the time and I mean it now. It doesn't take away the fact that I much prefer Martinez - with Lerners money I actually think Martinez would have challenged for the title and won cups with a better brand of football.

£120m spent in 4 years, habib beye, young, heskey all on excess of £40k a week...

The villa fans I know were saying Top 6 was the minimum expectation versus the money he spent - not delivering top 4 was a failure. I agree.

If Everton had Lerners money with Moyes in charge we would have had top 4 a good few times - I said that at the time and I mean it now. It doesn't take away the fact that I much prefer Martinez - with Lerners money I actually think Martinez would have challenged for the title and won cups with a better brand of football.

£120m spent in 4 years, habib beye, young, heskey all on excess of £40k a week...

but Moyes didnt know how to spend money, and wasted it when it was available Haf, so what difference would it have made?

:fishing:

My experience of Villa fans is that they are one notch less dillusional than The Geordies. O'Neill massively improved their league position from previous managers and did so consistently. Moyes bought plenty of turkeys too. And Villa got an absolute fortune from United for Ahsley Young so that is a poor example.

Edited by weebittight

My experience of Villa fans is that they are one notch less dillusional than The Geordies. O'Neill massively improved their league position from previous managers and did so consistently. Moyes bought plenty of turkeys too

plot league finishes versus money spent and player salary... they finished below where they should have under O'Neill and where they should have with O'Leary. O'leary finished 6th in his first season there. O'neill spent absolute millions and finished no better.

True O'leary nearly took them down - there was a good reason "deadly doug ellis" and his kenwright-esque fiscal policy.

plot league finishes versus money spent and player salary... they finished below where they should have under O'Neill and where they should have with O'Leary. O'leary finished 6th in his first season there. O'neill spent absolute millions and finished no better.

True O'leary nearly took them down - there was a good reason "deadly doug ellis" and his kenwright-esque fiscal policy.

How much did the top four and Liverpool spend during his time at Villa? O'Leary may have also got them to 6th place but O'Neill did it three times - and got them to a cup final < where they were robbed>

Edited by weebittight

How much did the top four and Liverpool spend during his time at Villa? O'Leary may have also got them to 6th place but O'Neill did it three times - and got them to a cup final < where they were robbed>

Google will help you here... but in terms of spend under O'Neill they never had Man City's millions to contend with, they far outspent Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs in that time.

From 2003-date they have averaged a net spend of £11m per season versus Man Uniteds £15m per season. Allocate the vast bulk of that to O'Neills tenure and you get my point. A net spend of £83m out of the £122m net spend over 10 years of villa 2003-2013 can be attributed to O'Neills 4 year tenure...(he doesnt suffer the £19m Darren Bent loss either)

I will end this here. The stats are vastly stacked against him.

All those clubs you mention were dominant and had spent buckets of money before O'Neill arrived. He had no money at Wycombe or Leicester and did fine jobs there. You talk about him using only a small amount of players but when he played the squad players in Europe on one occasion that didn't please the Villa faithful either. I hope he gets the ROI gig. He is a top man.

All those clubs you mention were dominant and had spent buckets of money before O'Neill arrived. He had no money at Wycombe or Leicester and did fine jobs there. You talk about him using only a small amount of players but when he played the squad players in Europe on one occasion that didn't please the Villa faithful either. I hope he gets the ROI gig. He is a top man.

You seem to like him, thats fine. As I eluded to in an earlier post, old school, lower level, no or low funding, motivational management seems to be his thing. The ROI job may suit him down to the ground.

I would imagine Martin's politics to be of the nationalist persuasion but he represented the country of his birth with skill and pride. Others like McLean and Gibson didn't have the belly for it.

'Twould be a real shame if someone is rejected because they don't vote the right way. Truth be told, though, it's why Labour man Brian Clough never got the England job.

• 3 weeks later...