IGNORED

Striker strategy

jofanon

I'm a little confused by our striker policy at the club - it seems very short termist. We continue to be linked with players in other position that would take money away from a top class forward.

Its clear our first choice this season is going to be Lukau but the likelihood is that he'll be back at Chelski next year.

This only leaves Kone and Jelavic - neither of which seem to be in the same class.

Any guesses what Martinez's long term plan is? Play both of them to cover their shortcomings?

Do you think he'll try and sign RL? I can't possibly see we'd be able to afford him?

No chance that we'll sign Lukaku permanently so we've got to hope that he's got his scouts out there looking for someone who could be as useful as Lukaku but not cost the earth. A tall order!

As I mentioned in another thread: 20m for Baines (winter transfer window) plus 10m profit (made in the summer window) equals 30m bid for Lukaku. It would appear to meet everyone's valuations - and we'd be trading an older player for a younger player.

at this moment in time, I would be looking to scrimp together every penny we have, after selling Jela and any fringe players we dont need (Maggie, Vellios - even though I think he could make it) for whatever we can get, and put it all on Lukaku.

But like Romey says, its going to be virtually impossible. Chelsea will see how big a cockup they made letting him go (again) and offer him a new contract after this season. We wont get near signing him permenantly

As I mentioned in another thread: 20m for Baines (winter transfer window) plus 10m profit (made in the summer window) equals 30m bid for Lukaku. It would appear to meet everyone's valuations - and we'd be trading an older player for a younger player.

we need a LB then aswell

Edited by Matt

Meanwhile, in the real world he's going to have interest from clubs much bigger than us. Champions League teams.

Even if we raised £30m we are not spending it on one player.

Who knows what the future holds!

- Everton could win a CL spot

- Chelsea could spend big-time for a striker in the winter transfer window

- Lukaku could blend so well with the Everton team that he wants to stay

- Lukaku could submit a formal transfer request

Yes, we have a strategy for bringing in new talent, and maybe paying smaller fees usually consistent with that strategy. However, I would have thought that building a younger team for the long haul has to be way up there in terms of priorities. In exceptional cases, why not spend 30m on an outstanding player - especially when trading an older player?

I think it is fairly safe to conclude that Lakaku is being groomed by Cheslea (via Everton) to be one of the worlds top top strikers. This lad seems incredibly driven in his desire to fulfil this ambition - from what I have seen he is going to get there as well.

Its a double edged sword for us -

We would only have a chance of buying him is he had relatively poor or ordinary season - do we want that? No.

If he has an amazing season, which we all want, he is literally the hottest property in football and every club in the world would want him in the team never mind Chelsea. We would have not chance even if Chelsea were willing to sell him.

It sounds like the opportunity to get Lukaku at the club came a little out of the blue. I don't think it was part of any strategy, just a chance we couldn't turn down. Martinez being the Manager no doubt helped.

This is a one year only opportunity and we have to make the most of it. It could be that outside chance to nick a CL spot, a 20+ goal scorer just might do that for us. Still an outside chance, but our odd have definitely improved with Lukaku on the squad.

If we did nick a CL spot - I still don't think we'd have a chance to sign Lukaku (because in all likelihood he will have been the star player), but it would make us just a little more attractive to other decent strikers, it could put a one off £15-20M CL cash injection in to the club. that would be amazing.

I think all we can do is squeeze all we can out of Lukaku and the rest of the squad this season and just see where it leads us by the end of May.

I am not going to worry about the striker strategy until next season - this year I am hopefully going to be watch the one of the best new generation strikers start to make his name in a Everton shirt.

Who knows what the future holds!

- Everton could win a CL spot

- Chelsea could spend big-time for a striker in the winter transfer window

- Lukaku could blend so well with the Everton team that he wants to stay

- Lukaku could submit a formal transfer request

Yes, we have a strategy for bringing in new talent, and maybe paying smaller fees usually consistent with that strategy. However, I would have thought that building a younger team for the long haul has to be way up there in terms of priorities. In exceptional cases, why not spend 30m on an outstanding player - especially when trading an older player?

Lukaku will be looking for £100,000 a week if he has a good/great season with us.

Let's hope he has that great season and Jelavic and Kone rise to the challange.If we have a good season due in part to Lukaku we may be able to advance our cause.

There are other great young strikers out there like Lukaku, maybe Martinez can attract one with his brand of football.If we can repeat the 1st half against Newcastle, good players will want to come.

Before we get carried away, he's only scored 3 goals.

It wasn't long ago that Jelavic was a scoring sensation and now folk want rid. A little premature to be wanting to sell our whole team in order to buy him lol. :leggit:

Following a season when he was one of the league's leading scorers. It's a bit different in his case because he's building a consistent record of scoring. And talk about hyperbole. :) I'm suggesting trading one of our older players to get this younger player - adding a little cash to reach the asking price.

As others have suggested, easier said than done - and maybe it's pie in the sky. Still, there's no harm in having a primary goal and falling back on alternatives if it doesn't work out. Shoot for the sky and sometimes you get there.

Following a season when he was one of the league's leading scorers. It's a bit different in his case because he's building a consistent record of scoring. And talk about hyperbole. :) I'm suggesting trading one of our older players to get this younger player - adding a little cash to reach the asking price.

As others have suggested, easier said than done - and maybe it's pie in the sky. Still, there's no harm in having a primary goal and falling back on alternatives if it doesn't work out. Shoot for the sky and sometimes you get there.

Steve, I'd have quoted you had my comment been a response to yours.

Again though, let's see how the season pans out. I don't think we will ever sign him, nor Deulofeu, but what it can do is give us short term benefit and an idea of how good we can be with a scoring striker, presuming he continues.

let's see how the season pans out. I don't think we will ever sign him, nor Deulofeu, but what it can do is give us short term benefit and an idea of how good we can be with a scoring striker, presuming he continues.

I agree that there's absolutely zero chance of signing Deulofeu. On the other hand, Lukaku plays with an English team and, for the right fee, there is a chance. A slim chance, maybe, but a chance nonetheless.

It's fantastic, though, that we have these players available for a year. The team as a whole will learn from them, as well as them from the team, and it buys us time to search for and recruit players who will fit our style of play for the long term.

I may be the only one, but good as Lukaku can be, I think really we should be looking at him the same way he's looking at us, a stepping stone. Lukaku's goals might mean we can make top 4, if it were the case, we'd have extra cash and the prospect of potentially being in the champions league the following season to attract new talent.

Relying on Lukaku and his goals would be like Liverpool were with Torres, having only Babel and Ngog as back up because Torres was so nailed on to score at that time. Even if we did buy him, he could get a serious injury or simply lose form and we've spent the bulk of our available cash on securing teh services of a striker who has already provided us with what we needed, opening the door to the highest level of competition.

I know the point above could apply to any striker eg Jelavic's sublime half season followed by goal anemia, but I feel like we should be looking for the Michu's, the cheaper deals on players of quality who for whatever reason are not as recognised as players like Lukaku and Benteke. Don't get me wrong, I think the Predator is the best striker we've had in a very long time, but we have to accept he's here for one year only, and adjust our targets accordingly.