IGNORED

Rooney World Class Argument

Guest blueboy122

He comes across as if he knows everything about football?!!! And thinks he's always right?!!! Coming from you....oh my oh my oh my!!! Read your own posts!!!

Anyway, back to Rooney...thats your view. Fair play. Maybe you should have done a poll? They are quite decisive on peoples views.

No need for a poll opinions are pretty clear. Rooney's biggest downfall is his fitness/weight. He obviously has inherited much of it from his father. Still he's definitely been amongst the world elite at points in his career.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Guest Nikica

You're chatting complete garbage over Iniesta and Ronaldo.not a big game player? Talking about his disappearance in El Classico, the guy has 12 goals in 19 el classico's. You make your mind up on that. The best players in football are those who can win games. That's a combination of goals & assist. Ronaldo assist and scores and makes his "own" goals. That's why he's won the ballon d'or twice and iniesta had only ever been runner up.

Trophies plus, goals plus assists combined is what a mentioned and Rooneys is a very good record on all fronts.

You come across as though you think you know everything about football and you're always right. That's just the tone of your posts here.

I've replied to this sort of thing before. First of all, (as I've said 1000000 times in the past to teenage Ronaldo fanboys), scoring in a game doens't necessarily equate to playing well e.g. Ronaldo scored a penalty in the recent clasico but was garbage, Suarez didn't score against Arsenal but was majestic. So you can quit with the 'goal=good performance' argument because I don't think that way.

I've been over Ronaldo in big games so many times before, but I will say it once here (even though it's tedious repeating it):

He was very poor in the big games versus Germany at Euro 2008, and against Spain in WC 2010 and Euro 2012. He was arguably portugal's worst player in those games. He scored in the CL Final of 2008 (so to someone like you he played well). However, after Lampard equalised he vanished and Chelsea controlled all of the 2nd half and extra-time. Then he missed in the shoot-out (as even the best can do, but it topped off what was mainly a turgid final for him).

He scored a penalty and a one-on-one in the Bernabeu vs Bayern in 2012. After Robben levelled the tie and Bayern found their feet, he was nowhere to be seen until he missed again in the shootout. Against Dortmund last season he was anonymous in both games, bar a tap-in while the guy on the other team scored four. He did nothing versus Atletico last season other than get himself sent off in the cup final.

This season? Didn't do anything in the two games against Barca, bar score a penalty from a dive (I heard a RM fan say 'he will probably think he achieved something now, ffs", the guy was visibly frustrated). He was pathetic in the game a few weeks ago.He was terrible in the Bernabeu versus Atletico, and was pretry rubbish in the Calderon too (although he popped up with a critical late equaliser). Still, if he'd played better they may have won rather than drawn.

Ronaldo's biggest problem is that he thinks if he scores in a game it's job done. He is obsessed with personal glory and his own goal record, and it makes him a lesser player than he could be as he refuses to develop his playmaking skills.

When does Ronaldo 'make his own goals'? I've watched lots of his career and he doesn't really have special playmaking skills to create. If anything, he makes RM more one-dimensional - lots of his goals are laid on a plate and when the supply to him is cut they run out of ideas. He also never helps out Marcelo (who is then derided as 'shit' because he has to face two-on-ones all the time). Ronaldo also takes millions of shots when the more intelligent option is to pass it, but he's too much of a selfish cunt. This doesn't hurt them against lesser teams but it becomes noticeable when they face their peers in La Liga (Barca and now Atletico) and the CL.

The thing about Ronaldo is that he has so many arse-lickers and fanboys that criticism of him as a player doesn't seem to be permitted (unlike Messi, who is criticised non-stop it seems). In that respect he's like Beckham i.e. there are a lot of myths surrounding him as a player. Ronaldo is still a great player, but he isn't as good as you think he is and he most certainly does have a habit of vanishing in the big games.

"The best players in football are those who can win games. That's a combination of goals & assist. Ronaldo assist and scores and makes his "own" goals. That's why he's won the ballon d'or twice and iniesta had only ever been runner up."

See, I've saw this said before and it is getting football all wrong. There are so many things which happen before a goal is scored - someone could beat 6 players, pass the ball for an easy square ball assist for a tap-in. But the best part of the goal won't be recorded by stats. Also, thinking like yours is why defenders very rarely win individual awards. All you can see is the quantifiable aspects i.e. goal and assist stats. You might as well quit watching football and just rate players by their stats on wikipedia.

Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'or twice because it's a popularity contest. Messi didn't deserve all four either (Xavi, Sneijder or Iniesta should have won it in 2010, imo). Ronaldo's a very marketable player and Iniesta is less so, so that encourages coaches and captains of the minnow nations (who rarely watch football) to vote for him. Interestingly if this year's Ballon d'or had been a journalist's award (those who have more time to watch football than coaches and managers), Ribery would have won it, not Ronaldo. You know you're losing an argument when you have to bring up the Ballon d'or - it's a popularity contest more than it is a football award. Individual awards in a team sport are completely pointless, imo.

I already explained that I replied snobbily here as that was the way blueboy came across originally. I certainly don't think I know everything and I'm certainly not always right. Attacking my character to try and win an argument is very cheap. You told me to 'stop rambling complete nonsense', yet I'm the egoist?

I'm sure you'll reply with more of the classic Ronaldo sycophancy I've been reading for years, but I'm not sure I cba getting into it all again - you seem like a fanboy of his and it's tedious. Anyway, this thread is about Rooney, not Ronaldo.

Edited by Nikica

I've replied to this sort of thing before. First of all, (as I've said 1000000 times in the past to teenage Ronaldo fanboys), scoring in a game doens't necessarily equate to playing well e.g. Ronaldo scored a penalty in the recent clasico but was garbage, Suarez didn't score against Arsenal but was majestic. So you can quit with the 'goal=good performance' argument because I don't think that way.

I've been over Ronaldo in big games so many times before, but I will say it once here (even though it's tedious repeating it):

He was very poor in the big games versus Germany at Euro 2008, and against Spain in WC 2010 and Euro 2012. He was arguably portugal's worst player in those games. He scored in the CL Final of 2008 (so to someone like you he played well). However, after Lampard equalised he vanished and Chelsea controlled all of the 2nd half and extra-time. Then he missed in the shoot-out (as even the best can do, but it topped off what was mainly a turgid final for him).

He scored a penalty and a one-on-one in the Bernabeu vs Bayern in 2012. After Robben levelled the tie and Bayern found their feet, he was nowhere to be seen until he missed again in the shootout. Against Dortmund last season he was anonymous in both games, bar a tap-in while the guy on the other team scored four. He did nothing versus Atletico last season other than get himself sent off in the cup final.

This season? Didn't do anything in the two games against Barca, bar score a penalty from a dive (I heard a RM fan say 'he will probably think he achieved something now, ffs", the guy was visibly frustrated). He was pathetic in the game a few weeks ago.He was terrible in the Bernabeu versus Atletico, and was pretry rubbish in the Calderon too (although he popped up with a critical late equaliser). Still, if he'd played better they may have won rather than drawn.

Ronaldo's biggest problem is that he thinks if he scores in a game it's job done. He is obsessed with personal glory and his own goal record, and it makes him a lesser player than he could be as he refuses to develop his playmaking skills.

When does Ronaldo 'make his own goals'? I've watched lots of his career and he doesn't really have special playmaking skills to create. If anything, he makes RM more one-dimensional - lots of his goals are laid on a plate and when the supply to him is cut they run out of ideas. He also never helps out Marcelo (who is then derided as 'shit' because he has to face two-on-ones all the time). Ronaldo also takes millions of shots when the more intelligent option is to pass it, but he's too much of a selfish cunt. This doesn't hurt them against lesser teams but it becomes noticeable when they face their peers in La Liga (Barca and now Atletico) and the CL.

The thing about Ronaldo is that he has so many arse-lickers and fanboys that criticism of him as a player doesn't seem to be permitted (unlike Messi, who is criticised non-stop it seems). In that respect he's like Beckham i.e. there are a lot of myths surrounding him as a player. Ronaldo is still a great player, but he isn't as good as you think he is and he most certainly does have a habit of vanishing in the big games.

"The best players in football are those who can win games. That's a combination of goals & assist. Ronaldo assist and scores and makes his "own" goals. That's why he's won the ballon d'or twice and iniesta had only ever been runner up."

See, I've saw this said before and it is getting football all wrong. There are so many things which happen before a goal is scored - someone could beat 6 players, pass the ball for an easy square ball assist for a tap-in. But the best part of the goal won't be recorded by stats. Also, thinking like yours is why defenders very rarely win individual awards. All you can see is the quantifiable aspects i.e. goal and assist stats. You might as well quit watching football and just rate players by their stats on wikipedia.

Ronaldo has won the Ballon d'or twice because it's a popularity contest. Messi didn't deserve all four either (Xavi, Sneijder or Iniesta should have won it in 2010, imo). Ronaldo's a very marketable player and Iniesta is less so, so that encourages coaches and captains of the minnow nations (who rarely watch football) to vote for him. Interestingly if this year's Ballon d'or had been a coahces award (those who have more time to watch football than coaches and managers), Ribery would have won it, not Ronaldo. You know you're losing an argument when you have to bring up the Ballon d'or - it's a popularity contest more than it is a football award.

I already explained that I replied snobbily here as that was the way blueboy came across originally. I certainly don't think I know everything and I'm certainly not always right. Attacking my character to try and win an argument is very cheap. You told me to 'stop rambling complete nonsense', yet I'm the egoist?

I'm sure you'll reply with more of the classic Ronaldo sycophancy I've been reading for years, but I'm not sure I cba getting into it all again - you seem like a fanboy of his and it's tedious. Anyway, this thread is about Rooney, not Ronaldo.

Not even close to a fan boy. I just see it like 99% of others that him and Messi are the two stand out players in world football.

No need for a poll opinions are pretty clear. Rooney's biggest downfall is his fitness/weight. He obviously has inherited much of it from his father. Still he's definitely been amongst the world elite at points in his career.

Honestly Cotto, im not trying to be antagonistic here, but the debate is about is he world class now? Again you're talking about 'points in his career'...two different arguments surely???

Weight wise, yeah, defo. He has a natural big build. But if he was world class he would control this...because thats the sacrifices world class players make.

Edited by Newty82

"Wayne Rooney not World Class???? Hahaha. One of the top 10 best players of the last 10 years."

See, this is the sort of nonsense that leads people to believe he's vastly overrated. He is nowhere near one of the best ten players of the last ten years, that's an absolutely mental comment (assuming you mean worldwide and not just in Britain).

"Look at his trophy haul. His goal record, his assist record."

That's a shite way to rate players. Trophies and stats are so misleading. The Brazilian Ronaldo never won the CL, so does that mean he wasn't that great?

In short, he's a very good player who is a bit away from being world-class. There are numerous better strikers than him.

I'm tempted to say Rooney is overrated by some on here because he is one of your own. Someone on here once said that Rooney has the best first touch he has ever seen - then abused me when I replied saying that was a nonsense comment as his touch is pretty erratic. That's the sort of exaggeration that seems to exist around Rooney.

Yes,

Its was the responses to my posts listed above, words like mental, nonsense and a shite way to put it. So I returned the favour.

Guest Nikica

Not even close to a fan boy. I just see it like 99% of others that him and Messi are the two stand out players in world football.

To be fair, 99% of people seem obsessed with goalscorers and marketability these days. Also, popular opinion is not always correct, otherwise X Factor contestants would be the greatest musicians on the planet.

I will put it another way: Iniesta is a far lesser goalscorer than Ronaldo, but a far better FOOTBALLER i.e. touch, technique, passing, dribbling, creativity, vision. Ronaldo is Gerd Muller mark 2, without the big-game performances.

I think Ronaldo isn't near Messi as a footballer, but because he manages to score at a similar rate, it gives naive people the illusion that he must be as good as Messi. he's definitely as good a goalscorer, but is he fuck as good a footballer. He's lucky to be playing in the same era as Messi - the fact he can keep up with him in goalscoring makes it seem like he's better than he is.

In saying all of this, Ronaldo is still a world-class player and top 3 or 4 in the world, unlike Rooney.

Yes,

Its was the responses to my posts listed above, words like mental, nonsense and a shite way to put it. So I returned the favour.

Oh come on mate. You said Rooney is one of the 10 best players in the world over the last decade i.e. he's one of the greatest 10 players of the last ten years. That is an absolutely insane comment, he is nowhere near that level ffs, it's simply not a reasonable thing to say. It's not arrogant to attack such insane opinions. FFS!

Also, our first interaction in this thread was you quoting me to tell me I was talking 'absolute drivel', by saying that Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. Yet apparently I'm the arrogant person? Lol. What makes it worse is that my view isn't drivel in any way shape or form - not to anyone who can see past goalscorers.

If Ronaldo is so easily better than Iniesta then why is Iniesta usually the better player when they're on the same pitch? I'm sure you'll say it's because he plays for Barca, as if Ronaldo's RM team-mates are shite lol.

Edited by Nikica

Good detailed fight back there.

I award this one to Nik...I dont watch anywhere near enough football to match that knowledge.

Dont turn this into another personal attack thread Cotto, you seem to go down that route when your backs against the wall.

Its been a good debate, but between the 3 of us I think we have expired our views! Lets leave the room and let others play.

To be fair, 99% of people seem obsessed with goalscorers and marketability these days. Also, popular opinion is not always correct, otherwise X Factor contestants would be the greatest musicians on the planet.

I will put it another way: Iniesta is a far lesser goalscorer than Ronaldo, but a far better FOOTBALLER i.e. touch, technique, passing, dribbling, creativity, vision. Ronaldo is Gerd Muller mark 2, without the big-game performances.

I think Ronaldo isn't near Messi as a footballer, but because he manages to score at a similar rate, it gives naive people the illusion that he must be as good as Messi. he's definitely as good a goalscorer, but is he fuck as good a footballer. He's lucky to be playing in the same era as Messi - the fact he can keep up with him in goalscoring makes it seem like he's better than he is.

In saying all of this, Ronaldo is still a world-class player and top 3 or 4 in the world, unlike Rooney.

Oh come on mate. You said Rooney is one of the 10 best players in the world over the last decade i.e. he's one of the greatest 10 players of the last ten years. That is an absolutely insane comment, he is nowhere near that level ffs, it's simply not a reasonable thing to say. It's not arrogant to attack such insane opinions. FFS!

Also, our first interaction in this thread was you quoting me to tell me I was talking 'absolute drivel', by saying that Iniesta is better than Ronaldo. Yet apparently I'm the arrogant person? Lol. What makes it worse is that my view isn't drivel in any way shape or form - not to anyone who can see past goalscorers.

If Ronaldo is so easily better than Iniesta then why is Iniesta usually the better player when they're on the same pitch? I'm sure you'll say it's because he plays for Barca, as if Ronaldo's RM team-mates are shite lol.

Er no it wasn't. You quoted me in your essay

Guest Nikica

Yeah, I still like Cotto, I think he's sound. If he thinks I am talking garbage then so be it, but I'm certainly not in the business of falling out with decent people due to disagreements over overpaid strangers.

Guest Nikica

Er no it wasn't. You quoted me in your essay

Ahh, so I did. I guess I just got carried away with the lengthy replies. Apologies if I was condescending mate. You know it isn't personal.

Good detailed fight back there.

I award this one to Nik...I dont watch anywhere near enough football to match that knowledge.

Dont turn this into another personal attack thread Cotto, you seem to go down that route when your backs against the wall.

Its been a good debate, but between the 3 of us I think we have expired our views! Lets leave the room and let others play

Zzzz

Ronaldo and Gerd Muller lmao! you're on a wind up.

Guest Nikica

Zzzz

Ronaldo and Gerd Muller lmao! you're on a wind up.

Perhaps overstating it slightly, as Ronaldo has more to his game than Gerd did. However, Ronaldo does play quite like a poacher these days. He was more expansive and more involved outside of the box at Man United. His dribbling has declined (more of a kick and runner than a proper dribbler these days), he never plays great through balls, his vision is no more than acceptable, he is very wasteful when shooting when he should pass etc.

There's a lot of older people who would tell you that Muller was a better player than Ronaldo, btw. Muller might have been a poacher but he showed up when it counted, and going by your criteria of stats and trophies (not mine), there aren't many better.

The fact you think it's an insult to say Iniesta and Muller are up there with Ronaldo implies that you are overrating Ronaldo, tbh. He's an amazing goalscorer and athlete but that's not the same as being an amazing footballer.

How often do you watch Real Madrid? If you watch them regularly you will see that Ronaldo plays as more or less a number 9 getting on the end of opportunites. Yeah, he starts from wide left, but formations are not static and to all intents and purposes he is their main striker. He's nowhere near as creative as he was back in 2007 or so (when he was pretty creative at United).

In all honesty, one of the baffling things about modern football is how personally people take criticism of C Ronaldo. He has plenty of weaknesses in his game but saying so apparently antagonises his fanboys. Bizarre. You'd think he was a relative of these people at times.

Edited by Nikica

Perhaps overstating it slightly, as Ronaldo has more to his game than Gerd did. However, Ronaldo does play quite like a poacher these days. He was more expansive and more involved outside of the box at Man United. His dribbling has declined (more of a kick and runner than a proper dribbler these days), he never plays great through balls, his vision is no more than acceptable, he is very wasteful when shooting when he should pass etc.

There's a lot of older people who would tell you that Muller was a better player than Ronaldo, btw. Muller might have been a poacher but he showed up when it counted, and going by your criteria of stats and trophies (not mine), there aren't many better.

The fact you think it's an insult to say Iniesta and Muller are up there with Ronaldo implies that you are overrating Ronaldo, tbh. He's an amazing goalscorer and athlete but that's not the same as being an amazing footballer.

How often do you watch Real Madrid? If you watch them regularly you will see that Ronaldo plays as more or less a number 9 getting on the end of opportunites. Yeah, he starts from wide left, but formations are not static and to all intents and purposes he is their main striker. He's nowhere near as creative as he was back in 2007 or so (when he was pretty creative at United).

In all honesty, one of the baffling things about modern football is how personally people take criticism of C Ronaldo. He has plenty of weaknesses in his game but saying so apparently antagonises his fanboys. Bizarre. You'd think he was a relative of these people at times.

I've seen enough of Ronaldo to know he has a lot more to his game than scoring goals from inside the box. Look at his 50 greatest goals. they are diverse....dribbling, long range, free kicks.

Had the world class talent and attributes aged 15, knew it was enough to be considered a very good pro player and earn ££££, that was it.

Barton is spot on. The lad is as thick as pig shit, messi and ronaldo were considered peers at one stage.... They have left him behind big style.

Guest Nikica

I've seen enough of Ronaldo to know he has a lot more to his game than scoring goals from inside the box. Look at his 50 greatest goals. they are diverse....dribbling, long range, free kicks.

You could take the best moments of anyone's career and it would make them look like an all-round superstar.

He scores about 1 in 50 FKs - his ratio is TERRIBLE. He's not a great FK taker at all, but he scores a pearler once in a blue moon and people convince themselves he's amazing at them. In fact his free-kicks sum up everything that's wrong with him as a footballer - spreading his legs like a slut, building up the drama and the focus on him, then ballooning it into row Z. It's style over substance. If you want a proper FK taker then google Juninho.

His dribbling has declined since his Man United days - that can't be in dispute. I'm putting it down to him being too jacked up now and losing agility, as well as sacrificing his all-round game in his pursuit of goals.

He scores long range goals - like free-kicks, he takes so many attempts that he's bound to score a few. And free-kicks and long range goals require the same skillset - athleticism and shot accuracy. I'm not denying he possesses those - it's creativity, dribbling, incisive passing, and playing in a possession system which I contend he is inferior to Iniesta in. If you watch RM you will see they play on the counter as that's the only way Ronaldo can play - using his pace and power to burst into space and blow teams away - ask him to break down compressed defences and he's useless. That's why I've been right in saying that RM would be eliminated by Barca, Bayern and Dortmund over the last few years - I was right with those predictions because those teams successfully cut the supply to Ronaldo, and unlike Messi or Maradona he doesn't have the FOOTBALLING skills to go looking for the ball himself and make things happen.

That's why it blows my mind when people say Messi needs Xavi and Iniesta. He's a far better actual footballer than Ronaldo, and he's far less reliant on service. I think Messi is a bellend by the way, but he is a much better footballer than Ronaldo (note, I said footballer, not goalscorer, as they're not the same thing).

Overall, yes, I think C Ronaldo is overrated as I don't rate him up there with the all-time greats. So what? That's my right, and just because you disagree doesn't make me wrong. Plenty of people agree with me.

Can we end this now please? It's meant to be a Rooney thread and I find arguing over a petty, superficial moron like Ronaldo pretty tedious.

Guest Nikica

Had the world class talent and attributes aged 15, knew it was enough to be considered a very good pro player and earn ££££, that was it.

Barton is spot on. The lad is as thick as pig shit, messi and ronaldo were considered peers at one stage.... They have left him behind big style.

Tbh, I always thought Messi and Ronaldo were far bigger talents than Rooney. I always got the feeling that the hype over Rooney was just English people getting carried away.

I don't mean to denigrate Wayne - he's still a talented boy and a formidable player. But there's lots of better players.

Edited by Nikica

Messi and Ronaldo are on a completely different level though. That's what I don't get.

The words "world class" have no in stone definition.

For me it's the world elite players. I'll say it over and over again. Rooney has been amongst that group at stages in his career!

Edited by MiguelCotto

Guest Nikica

Messi and Ronaldo are on a completely different level though. That's what I don't get.

The words "world class" have no in stone definition.

For me it's the world elite players. I'll say it over and over again. Rooney has been amongst that group at stages in his career!

Even in the season where people were saying he was the best player in the world (09/10), I was quite bemused. I watched United most weeks that season and he just played as a poacher. He scored lots of goals but they were typical striker's goals. It was no surprise when he flopped in the World Cup - the hype had been out of control for ages.

Why can't you accept that lots of people don't think Rooney is world-class? I hate to break it to you but there's loads of people out there who think he's overrated by those who are huge fans of his.

Agree with that part. Top five player in the world in his position might be good. Even then though, it has flaws, as there may be an abundance of top strikers but a paucity of good central defenders.

Edited by Nikica

Even in the season where people were saying he was the best player in the world (09/10), I was quite bemused. I watched United most weeks that season and he just played as a poacher. He scored lots of goals but they were typical striker's goals. It was no surprise when he flopped in the World Cup - the hype had been out of control for ages.

Why can't you accept that lots of people don't think Rooney is world-class? I hate to break it to you but there's loads of people out there who think he's overrated by those who are huge fans of his.

Nothing wrong with the opinion but you're certainly playing him down far lower than he is!

Guest Nikica

Nothing wrong with the opinion but you're certainly playing him down far lower than he is!

Or maybe you're building him up as better than he is? Or perhaps the middle ground would be correct?

However, you've said he's one of the ten best footballers worldwide in the last ten years. I've said he's very talented but inferior to plenty of his contemporaries and shy of world-class. I know which statement seems more realistic.

World class? Hmmmmm, what does that mean to me? It means that a player has been the best in his position for a number of years doing it in the competitions at the very top for club and country. Sadly if I were to pick a world eleven from the last 10 years then he would be on it once. To become world class, you have to be on the list maybe three or more times I guess but hey-ho that's just my take on it.

Guest Nikica

Nikica, is Gerrard World Class?

I've never been a big fan of Gerrard, tbh. I didn't consider him world-class either. Like Rooney, a very good player, short of world-class.

Some English players who I have considered world-class (by my loose definition of it) in the PL era: Gascoigne, Ferdinand (Rio) and Scholes.

I thought the Italia 90 squad was better than the hyped up 'golden generation', ironically.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I'd also consider Gerrard world class if I'm honest. Different outlook on players.

I also consider Zidane the greatest EVER player.

Yeah, I think it's a difference in preferences. I'm more into artists and technicians if I am honest (you've probably noticed that in my posts). Perhaps I should be more open-minded and receptive to the more energetic players. There are exceptions. I also have a tendency to go off people when I think they're being overhyped. Perhaps sometimes I exaggerate slightly on some players as a way to combat what I see as hyperbole in the opposite direction.

Zidane is one of the very best players since Maradona. He was an absolute genius and my boyhood footballing idol.

Its fair enough that Cotto and some others will think of Rooney as world class. Each to their own.

But I still dont get why, if he is such a world class level talent (and cotto, you are quite strong in him being one of the best 10 in the past 10 years), is it not recognised internationally?

It cant be a premiership/english thing. Take the UEFA Team of the year...plenty of PL players have featured over last 10 years...Henry x 5, Terry x 4, Gerrard x 3, Bale x 2, Ash Cole x 2, Evra x 1....and on, Ronaldo, Torres, Drogba, Fabreges, Cech, Beckham, Van Nistolroy...all been in in the last 10 years. But never Rooney.

Look at the other players mentioned in the last 10 or so years...when you see their names, do you really think Rooney is up with them? They all make you have a real 'oh hell yeah' feeling...not sure Rooney quite reaches that level......

Puyol, Cassillas, Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Nesta, Lahm, Zidane, Ronaldhino, Nedved, Kaka, Ramos, Ibrahimovic, Ribery, Pique, Pirlo, Ozil, Robben.

Is it just because he's an ugly bastard?!!!