IGNORED

Rooney World Class Argument

Guest blueboy122

"World class" - what the fuck does it mean? I played west Cheshire premier level football maybe good enough for Welsh league at some stage - that's amateur, still probably better than some who get pro terms.

World class? Surely if you play in a world cup final that makes you world class.... John heitinga?

For me world class is "one of the top 2-3 picks in their position am in the world"

Baines is a world class left back, Rooney isn't a world class striker. There is the difference.

"World class" - what the fuck does it mean? I played west Cheshire premier level football maybe good enough for Welsh league at some stage - that's amateur, still probably better than some who get pro terms.

World class? Surely if you play in a world cup final that makes you world class.... John heitinga?

For me world class is "one of the top 2-3 picks in their position am in the world"

Baines is a world class left back, Rooney isn't a world class striker. There is the difference.

Whilst that is the case now and nobody will disagree. There is certainly a good argument that at some point in his career he was one of the best strikers in the world.

In what way hasn't he devolved it out of interest?

Rooney gives his all for 90 minutes a week. But WC players train harder to become the very best, I don't see any evidence that he has furthered his talent I'd even say it regressed the moment he left Everton. I was excited when he had the ball at Everton, but I don't fear him when he has the ball for United.

Whilst that is the case now and nobody will disagree. There is certainly a good argument that at some point in his career he was one of the best strikers in the world.

I dont know how you can be in your prime years, your peak years but somehow, at some point, you were world class. At what point do you think this was? What sort of age? What is the good argument? Be good to read who the other 9 players are in your top 10 of the past 10 years? Thats all just out of interest to be honest!!!

09/10 he scored 34 in all comps. 11/12 he scored 34 in all comps.

So those seasons would be in and around his peak. Not sure where that left him in terms of goals scored around Europe but it wouldn't be far off the top 3 strikers, if at all.

Top 10 players who have been involved for the 10 consecutive seasons Rooney has.

Messi

Ronaldo

Ribery

Ibrahimovic

Iniesta

Rooney

Xavi

Pirlo

Missing two. Possibly Drogba & Totti should be added to that list.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Maybe another one who's peak came too early then? Because traditionally you'd expect forward players to peak around 27-30.

Maybe like Ronaldhino, amazing player, but lifestyle etc ended it for him. I think it was the same for THE Ronaldo? Same thing for Gazza too back in the 90's.

09/10 he scored 34 in all comps. 11/12 he scored 34 in all comps.

So those seasons would be in and around his peak. Not sure where that left him in terms of goals scored around Europe but it wouldn't be far off the top 3 strikers, if at all.

Top 10 players who have been involved for the 10 consecutive seasons Rooney has.

Messi

Ronaldo

Ribery

Ibrahimovic

Iniesta

Rooney

Xavi

Pirlo

Missing two. Possibly Drogba & Totti should be added to that list.

Casilas, Pique, Puyol, Lahm, Thiago Silva, De Rossi... the list can go on and on!

There are hundreds that could be in it - people could make an argument for the likes of Robben, Schweinstieger, Buffon, Villa... it's never ending really.

So does Rooney belong it that list or not. Because if he doesn't he must belong with a different group but like who?

Edited by MiguelCotto

Cotto...I think Zidane and Ronaldhino would be above Drogba and Totti. Zidane your most favourite I think you said? Still active to 2006, Ronaldhino too.

When you delve into it, theres quite a lot of playersfor the last 10 or so years....Henry, Terry, Maldini, Canavaro, Buffon, Carlos, Giggs, Del Piero, Raul etc etc

When you spend time googling diffetent articles, it really does bring back some great names and memories....and makes me realise that the last couple of years I have gone a bit of track with footy compared to what I used to be. Maybe the joy of having a toddler?!!!

But you know something, and Im not just saying this...Rooney doesnt get a mention amongst them.

Cotto...I think Zidane and Ronaldhino would be above Drogba and Totti. Zidane your most favourite I think you said? Still active to 2006, Ronaldhino too.

When you delve into it, theres quite a lot of playersfor the last 10 or so years....Henry, Terry, Maldini, Canavaro, Buffon, Carlos, Giggs, Del Piero, Raul etc etc

When you spend time googling diffetent articles, it really does bring back some great names and memories....and makes me realise that the last couple of years I have gone a bit of track with footy compared to what I used to be. Maybe the joy of having a toddler?!!!

But you know something, and Im not just saying this...Rooney doesnt get a mention amongst them.

I've listed players active for the 10 years of Rooneys career (his era). Del Piero' peak was arguably well before Rooney was on the scene same with most you list.

Of course there's a difference between all time and current.

I've listed players active for the 10 years of Rooneys career (his era). Del Piero' peak was arguably well before Rooney was on the scene same with most you list.

Of course there's a difference between all time and current.

All the players I mention have been active in the last 10 years.

There is definately a difference between all time and current. I know that. My list is no where near an all time one.

Yes. In Rooneys era. Players the similar age etc etc

Ai, fair enough. I guess if you apply enough 'rules' then he'll make it in!!!

Lets just hope he has a storming world cup. Whatever we say about him on a world level, theres no doubt that England need a 100% focused Rooney.

Ai, fair enough. I guess if you apply enough 'rules' then he'll make it in!!!

Lets just hope he has a storming world cup. Whatever we say about him on a world level, theres no doubt that England need a 100% focused Rooney.

He's not had a decent international tournament since he was an Everton player so that seems unlikely.

Rooney World Class ?

In a word, No. Not in the sense of say Di Stefano, Puskas or Maradona etc.

Hasn't done anything of note at international level for ten years, had all the potential in the world when first coming to prominence at Goodison Park, but never really utilized all that promise. Sure can score the odd superlative goal or produce a world class moment, but these instances seem more few and far between with each passing year.

It's like the Beckham (tired) debate, "is this a World Class player"..

You add it all up, look at all the relevant details and make a proper evaluation, and come to the conclusion, that no, they're not.

Can't put into words how proud I was watching him during that tournament and thinking "he's ours".

Was brilliant wasn't it.....then the slow realisation that his injury was going to end his (and effectively England's) tournament.....gutted.