IGNORED

World cup top scorer?

Interesting points about the Argentina line-up/top scorers. Does anyone know how they are likely to line-up and play?

Looking at the top goal scorers for their qualifying group it was Suarez (11), Messi (10), Higuain (9), Falcao (9). With the current odds then its a fair assessment to think Higuain would be a good bet. I wouldnt back against Suarez scoring a few against Costa Rica and as long as he scores one maybe against us or Italy and they get out of the group he would also be big at 22/1 (providing he is fit - maybe worth waiting).

Checking the other groups, what about Colombia? With Falcao out who is likely to be their main threat now? The question with them is ultimately how far will they go in the competition.

The other likely team to progress in Argentina's group is Bosnia. I could see them scoring goals against the other two teams and they dont necessarily have the worst chance in the last 16. 50/1 for Dzeko could be interesting?

Then finally you have Belgium and Lukaku albeit I would say his odds are a little skinny at 22/1 right now. You could see him dominating in games against Korea and Algeria and its not like Russia are much cop at the back either.

1. Interesting points about the Argentina line-up/top scorers. Does anyone know how they are likely to line-up and play?

2. Checking the other groups, what about Colombia? With Falcao out who is likely to be their main threat now? The question with them is ultimately how far will they go in the competition.

3. The other likely team to progress in Argentina's group is Bosnia. I could see them scoring goals against the other two teams and they dont necessarily have the worst chance in the last 16. 50/1 for Dzeko could be interesting?

4. Then finally you have Belgium and Lukaku albeit I would say his odds are a little skinny at 22/1 right now. You could see him dominating in games against Korea and Algeria and its not like Russia are much cop at the back either.

1. They pretty much throw in all their attacking assets at once. This is a typical line-up:

Argentina-Expected-Starting-Lineup-at-20

2. Jackson Martinez, Porto FC's most wanted star, rated at £30m+. They also have Carlos Bacca from Sevilla.

3. Bosnia or Nigeria perhaps? Dzeko does have a good goalscoring rate for Bosnia. But what's it worth if they'll only play 3 games?

4. Lukaku is Belgium's big cannon lately. He's in great shape and the undeniable striker now that Benteke's out. He scored 3 against luxemburg and another against sweden. Keep an eye on him if you'll watch the friendly against Tunisia. If you believe Belgium ill get far in the tournament then he's a proper contender. Question is also how he'll perform under big pressure. Lukaku did once score both goals in a 2-0 victory over Russia 3 years ago:

Edited by Mirallas

(After all we're the only English club to ever boast a WC Golden Boot winner)

Not for long though, we soon shipped his arse off to Barcelona (which he mentioned the other night on one of those best & worst team programmes - not in a bad way just that it really set his career off). No wonder he never seems to mention he's ever even played for Everton, even though he owes his selection for that World Cup and scoring 40 goals (was it?) that domestic season to Messrs Sheedy, Steven and Stevens and not to the World Cup golden boot and subsequent transfer to Barcelona. One season at Everton made him, nobody and nothing else was responsible for that!

Edited by Cake

Not for long though, we soon shipped his arse off to Barcelona (which he mentioned the other night on one of those best & worst team programmes - not in a bad way just that it really set his career off). No wonder he never seems to mention he's ever even played for Everton, even though he owes his selection for that World Cup and scoring 40 goals (was it?) that domestic season to Messrs Sheedy, Steven and Stevens and not to the World Cup golden boot and subsequent transfer to Barcelona. One season at Everton made him, nobody and nothing else was responsible for that!

"I was only on Merseyside a short time, nine or 10 months in total really, but it was still a happy time personally, while professionally it was one of the most successful periods of my career," he says. "I still have an affinity towards Everton."

Really excited now! 3 games every night after work, happy bloody days! Hope it lives up to the hype though, was really disappointed with the standard of the World Cup in South Africa. Regarding top scorers, favourite has to be one of the Argentine front 3 (messi, aguero, higuain). They play so attacking that goals are gonna fly in left, right and centre. Have a funny feeling Lukaku will be up there as well. Number 1 striker for Belgium in a relatively easy group which they should qualify quite comfortably from. If he's top scorer at the WC, add another 10 million to his value and bye bye any hope of us getting him (if there is at all I suppose).

Guest Nikica

Some good posts since I was last online - especially from Mirallas. Thanks for taking the time to look at things more statistically mate.

I still think Higuain and Aguero will benefit from Messi's deeper role.

My bro was talking about Lukaku last night. He doesn't rate Belgium as highly as most (in fact he thinks most of their players are overhyped) but he does think Lukaku is a top shout for top scorer.

Edited by Nikica

Thanks Mirallas.

If I was building a portfolio I would probably go with Higuain & Lukaku to win and maybe Dzeko & Martinez (or Bacca?) EW.

That would be £80 staked and I would hope to get around 12 goals from those players so maybe £60 in free bets plus any win or place money?

Guest Nikica

Think if I was to make a single choice it would be Higuain. We still don't know if Aguero will be fit for the first game and can stay fit throughout the tournament.

I'm not even a big fan of Higuain's but the supply Argentina have coupled with their draw makes him an ideal candidate.

On the subject of Colombia, Gutierrez tends to start even when Falcao is fit. He seems a lock for their first eleven now.

Edited by Nikica

"I was only on Merseyside a short time, nine or 10 months in total really, but it was still a happy time personally, while professionally it was one of the most successful periods of my career," he says. "I still have an affinity towards Everton because they made me but I prefer Spurs because they're a big club and we won the cup."

Fixed it on here for you, but not on Wiki......

Think if I was to make a single choice it would be Higuain. We still don't know if Aguero will be fit for the first game and can stay fit throughout the tournament.

I'm not even a big fan of Higuain's but the supply Argentina have coupled with their draw makes him an ideal candidate.

On the subject of Colombia, Gutierrez tends to start even when Falcao is fit. He seems a lock for their first eleven now.

That's why I think Higuain. I can't see Aguero staying fit/being fit enough so he would be a risk.

Thanks for the Colombia info.

Gervinho and Drogba scored for Ivory coast and gave each other the assist for their goals. Interesting pair, this World Cup's Suarez - Forlan? With Drogba and all his experience and class being the Forlan of the pair? Might be an interesting outsider for golden boot :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pa3BbXYSc0

Edited by Mirallas

Based on the number of soft penalties I think Brazil are going to get, I'm going to change my guess to Neymar.

Last nights penalty was as soft as they come.... Can you imagine getting one of those in the Premier League?

Can't complain though, as I got Brazil in the sweep. Lol

Edited by doc_bump