IGNORED

World cup top scorer?

Who do you reckon will be top scorer of the world cup in Brazil?

Here's a list of the obvious candidates:

Germany:

• Marco Reus
  • Andre Schurrle
  • Thomas Muller
  • Miroslav Klose

Spain:

• Fernando Torres
  • Andres Iniesta
  • Diego Costa (currently injured, might be fit in time)

Argentina:

• Lionel Messi
  • Sergio Aguero
  • Gonzalo Higuain

Brasil:

• Neymar
  • Hulk
  • Fred

England:

• Daniel Sturridge
  • Wayne Rooney

Uruguay:

• Luis Suarez (injured now, but should be fit in time)
  • Edison Cavani

France:

• Karim Benzema
  • Franck Ribéry

Netherlands:

• Robin Van Persie
  • Arjen Robben

Ivory Coast:

• Didier Drogba
  • Yaya Touré

Columbia:

• Radamel Falcao (injured, but might be fit in time): Omitted from Columbia's final squad
  • Jackson Martinez

Other countries:

• Cristiano Ronaldo
  • Mario Balotelli
  • Alexis Sanchez
  • Edin Dzeko
  • Mario Mandzukic
  • Samuel Eto'o
  • Romelu Lukaku
  • Javier Hernandez
Edited by Mirallas

Aguero or Higuain. Messi is more pf a provider for Argentina and they have a pretty easy section (famous last words).

Oddschecker, who shows the odd aggregates of all betting websites, seems to put him on numer 1, though. But then again, it's not just based on common sense, but also on popularity with betters. I also don't hink Messi is the number one suspect. They also put Rooney ahead of Sturridge in the odds, which is unlogical to me, but it's cause Rooney is a bigger name still. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/top-goalscorer

pSf7lho.png

Aguero for me - if he stays free of injury, I expect Argentina to do well, semis at least.

Got a funny feeling about England, there seems to be a better spirit and togetherness around the squad, I don't see the massive cliques that I used to - Neville's and Beckham, Gerrard and Carragher, Lampard, Cole and Terry. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians and there always seemed to be a bit of a leadership battle. I know for a fact that Gerrard did not like Terry - at all.

I think it is clear that we have one leader now - Gerrard. I actually like the way he conducts himself as England Captain, he lets the others bring toi the table what they can do, there is no clash of ego's and othewr alpha males rising against him. Lampard is waste of a place for me. In that heat his legs will be nothing, Gerrard at least is sitting in front of the back 4.

My biggest concern is Johnson at right back.

For me the way to estimate top scorer is to look at opportunity - which top countries with good strikers are going to play against teams with leaky defences.

For me I wouldn't pick a player from Englands group as I believe they will be low scoring games.

The same can be said for Spains group with Holland and Chile.

For me the best team with easiest group is Argentina - they face Iran, Nigeria, and Bosnia.

Aguero for me will get 4 goals in those group stages + a couple more in the knock outs, at 14/1 I feel it is printing money.

Edited by Hafnia

For me the way to estimate top scorer is to look at opportunity - which top countries with good strikers are going to play against teams with leaky defences.

For me I wouldn't pick a player from Englands group as I believe they will be low scoring games.

The same can be said for Spains group with Holland and Chile.

For me the best team with easiest group is Argentina - they face Iran, Nigeria, and Bosnia.

Aguero for me will get 4 goals in those group stages + a couple more in the knock outs, at 14/1 I feel it is printing money.

But on the other hand, Argentina has plenty of guys who can score goals easily with Higuain and Messi as well.

But on the other hand, Argentina has plenty of guys who can score goals easily with Higuain and Messi as well.

No doubt, however I believe Aguero will get the central attacking role - at Paddy Power with Aguero as top goalscoirer bet over £20, you get a fiver for each goal he scores - sorry but thats just nuts. Mad not to take that bet.

My main criteria for a top striker are:

- What team will get far in the tournament

- What teams will score plenty of goals and compare this to the number of frequent goalscorers in that team

- Simply the class of the striker

You can never really predict who will shine on a world cup, cause managers always make surprising choices and some players get injured or out of shape and others show a surprisingly good performance. But I've tried to calculate it, using an excel ratio :P If there are no surprises, then I think this could be the outcome:

5 Goals: Neymar

4 Goals: Higuain, Torres

3 goals: Aguero, Messi, Müller, Fred, Van Persie, Drogba, Lukaku

(other guys who I estimate would score +2 goals: Reus, Schürrle, Costa, Suarez, Robben, Sturridge, Touré; Asamoah, Ballotelli, Hernandez, Shaqiri, Ronaldo and Dzagoev)

But then I had to assume a final between Spain and Brazil for instance and a semi final between Argentina and Germany. It's probably completely useless, but it was fun to do. :)

My main criteria for a top striker are:

- What team will get far in the tournament

- What teams will score plenty of goals and compare this to the number of frequent goalscorers in that team

- Simply the class of the striker

You can never really predict who will shine on a world cup, cause managers always make surprising choices and some players get injured or out of shape and others show a surprisingly good performance. But I've tried to calculate it, using an excel ratio :P If there are no surprises, then I think this could be the outcome:

5 Goals: Neymar

4 Goals: Higuain, Torres

3 goals: Aguero, Messi, Müller, Fred, Van Persie, Drogba, Lukaku

(other guys who I estimate would score +2 goals: Reus, Schürrle, Costa, Suarez, Robben, Sturridge, Touré; Asamoah, Ballotelli, Hernandez, Shaqiri, Ronaldo and Dzagoev)

But then I had to assume a final between Spain and Brazil for instance and a semi final between Argentina and Germany. It's probably completely useless, but it was fun to do. :)

interested to know your excel ratio - I did something similar a few year ago to normalise olympic medals so that in the competition points were awarded on historical averages.

I just feel thaqt after the season he has had and time off with injury he will be fresh. £5 back per goal - no brainer.

interested to know your excel ratio - I did something similar a few year ago to normalise olympic medals so that in the competition points were awarded on historical averages.

I just feel thaqt after the season he has had and time off with injury he will be fresh. £5 back per goal - no brainer.

Well quite simple really. I put a number on how many games each country would play. Then I listed the best goalscorers per team, put a number on how many goals they's score per game. This is based on their past performanced for the national team + their level of performance last season + level of maturity that's required to perform at a big tournament. Then I put a percentage on the amount of time they'd be playing and weighted out their goals per game with that number. Then I just multiplied the weighted goals per game by number of games.

It's all based on estimations and they can be argued about. I placed Higuain above Aguero for instance, cause Higuain performed better for Argentina in the past.

Edited by Mirallas

Well quite simple really. I put a number on how many games each country would play. Then I listed the best goalscorers per team, put a number on how many goals they's score per game. This is based on their past performanced for the national team + their level of performance last season + level of maturity that's required to perform at a big tournament. Then I put a percentage on the amount of time they'd be playing and weighted out their goals per game with that number. Then I just multiplied the weighted goals per game by number of games.

It's all based on estimations and they can be argued about. I placed Higuain above Aguero for instance, cause Higuain performed better for Argentina in the past.

I think Torres on 4 is the flaw in the calc.