IGNORED

Chelsea (H)

djsunyc

Thats the biggest worry for me. If Chelsea where just unstoppable yesterday (and they will be in games this season) and we just got hammered as a one off (which can happen) I wouldn't be so worried but they weren't. For large parts of that game we were on top and we conceded stupid goal after stupid goal, same at Arsenal and I can forgive Leicester.

I've said all along that Martinez teams leak goals. He focuses too much on attack. There has to be a balance.

You are just using his Wigan stats though and that was when he was the manager of the worst team in the league with the worst defenders in the league.

At Swansea his records is as follows:

2006-7 = Goals Conceded 1.15 per game - Clean sheet 37% (he took over mid season)

2007-8 = 0.91 - 37%

2009-10 = 1.09 - 30%

2013-14 = 1.03 - 39% (better than the previous 3 seasons under Moyes)

Unfortunately its not as straight forward as Martinez teams concede goals, sure he prefers to create chances, but its not like ALL of his teams have shipped goals like you say. Its not like Martinez could have planned us conceding the first 2 on Saturday at the time we did or in the fashion we did. Similarly he cant really account for the shockers we conceded against Arsenal with so many men back to snuff out the attack or the fortunate breaks that fell to the Leicester players. I would definitely argue that cetain measures could have been taken before that (ie the Osman sub vs Arsenal or making slight changes against Leicester) but the manager can only control so much.

Its so fucking annoying because we are actually doing a lot right in these games but we havent seen them out. Its not like we have been onto a hiding all game or barely threatened or set up for a nil nil like we have in previous years. We have dominated large parts of games, dismantled an Arsenal team for 60 mins and created as many great chances as anyone will against Chelsea this year (and probably any year Mourinho is in charge). We just need to stop fucking up! :D

You are just using his Wigan stats though and that was when he was the manager of the worst team in the league with the worst defenders in the league.

At Swansea his records is as follows:

2006-7 = Goals Conceded 1.15 per game - Clean sheet 37% (he took over mid season)

2007-8 = 0.91 - 37%

2009-10 = 1.09 - 30%

2013-14 = 1.03 - 39% (better than the previous 3 seasons under Moyes)

Unfortunately its not as straight forward as Martinez teams concede goals, sure he prefers to create chances, but its not like ALL of his teams have shipped goals like you say. Its not like Martinez could have planned us conceding the first 2 on Saturday at the time we did or in the fashion we did. Similarly he cant really account for the shockers we conceded against Arsenal with so many men back to snuff out the attack or the fortunate breaks that fell to the Leicester players. I would definitely argue that cetain measures could have been taken before that (ie the Osman sub vs Arsenal or making slight changes against Leicester) but the manager can only control so much.

Its so fucking annoying because we are actually doing a lot right in these games but we havent seen them out. Its not like we have been onto a hiding all game or barely threatened or set up for a nil nil like we have in previous years. We have dominated large parts of games, dismantled an Arsenal team for 60 mins and created as many great chances as anyone will against Chelsea this year (and probably any year Mourinho is in charge). We just need to stop fucking up! :D

Someone on the radio quoted all his premier league (or may of been goals conceded as a manager) to games the other day. I can't remember the actual figure and I'm too lazy to get it myself but I remember I nearly crashed the car when I heard it.

It was games to goals conceded and I remember it being shocking.

Yeh I imagine it was pretty high at Wigan because they took some absolute batterings whilst he was changing their philosophy. I think one season they shipped 9 or 10 in their first 2 games but that was 1 club with the worst team and worst defenders in the league who he was trying to play attacking free flowing football with. I think he probably did too much too soon and given the decline Wigan were on when he took over and the further restriction of funds it probably wasn't entirely surprising. So yeh his defensive record at Wigan was probably shocking but his record at his 2 other clubs so far suggests it's not every club he has been with.

I think it's unjust just to look at his Wigan record. You do have to also take into account his Swansea record for it to be a balanced argument.

I thought his record at Swansea must have been sound as he took them to another level and is credited for their footballing philosophy. So thanks Bailey for digging it out!!!