IGNORED

Burnley

markjazzbassist

Nervy game, good result. Mistakes made and atoned for by several players on the pitch.

Eto'o was excellent, though sloppy on a few rare occasions. McCarthy apparently cloned himself, its the only way I can get my head around him seemingly man-marking 3 players at once :D

What a ludicrious generalisation. Africa is a large continent. in most African countries they are good at keeping track of the dates of birth; in some they aren't.

And Eto'o is from Cameroon.

"One of the best known examples of a player falsifying documentations is Cameroon's international football defender Tobie Mimboe who held several documents during the course of his career that indicated he became younger as time went by" (wiki)

This one is not really fair because it has never been proven that he is older but he is also from Cameroon. https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/17-old-lazio-player-looks-lot-older-quits-121544827.html

Cameroon are not immune to these mix-ups.

Remember that i'm not calling these players cheats, i'm just saying that in some areas of the world it is more difficult to prove a players age because of the birth registration process. Yes I was making a generalization, of course there are nations in Africa that handle these things better than others. But Cameroon is not an exception. There have been proven cases from Cameroon. There have also been proven cases in Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Senegal and Ivory Coast to name a few.

This is not only happening in Africa mind you, Cambodia, Macau, Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Bhutan and Kyrgyzstan have also been caught using players that are older than they say they are.

All academics. I think Etoo could be one of the best players that we have had in a loooong time and I absolutely love the guy for his effort, gentleman's way of playing, and professionalism. Im not saying that he is 52. I'm saying that I don't think he knows his exact date of birth. But it is unlikely that they have guessed in the wrong direction making him older than he really is.

Eto'os exgirlfriend has also claimed that he is 7 (!) years older in real life. (something that I believe to be pure bullshit) Mourinho was taped saying that Eto'o might be a year or two older.

Edited by Peter H

I've always said this.... Sometimes when you're at the game you see it differently than on a TV. I 100% agree on this.

You're not swayed by forum opinion, not swayed by commentator opinion and also you don't get to see close ups and replays etc. it's more of a self judgment. Also you can choose to watch a certain player at certain times were as the TV just follows the ball and yes sometimes of the screen incident do help the game. Positioning etc. So I'm with you here.

It's like when you watch the boxing on silent.... Commentator opinion can really push on your thoughts to sway you.

McCarthy did have a good game.

Yeh you definitely get the bigger picture at the game itself but you lose a lot of the detail, especially if you are sat behind either of the goals. Like Paddock says though you see players positional sense a lot more.

Also agree on the boxing comment. Some of the commentators talk absolute shite and the worse thing is they still score it better than the judges!