IGNORED

Spurs

markjazzbassist

"Let me say that I am now the complete striker. I never thought I was a target man, a No.9 who could play with his back to the goal. I always wanted to run at defenders. That is still a great quality, but now I can do both. I love playing as a real striker in the box now.

I have been playing all season for a team which has more than 60 percent of the time possession of the ball.

Technically I have been improving as a player. I play for a manager who makes his team play really good football and I dont have to chase the ball all the time.

Getting the ball so often close to the goal becomes a natural thing.

My concentration is better than ever on finishing, rather than on running with the ball. I am absolutely convinced that moving to Everton was the best step in my career. When you feel everything is working out, it makes you so relaxed and happy as a player in big matches.

And where do you think he got the belief in himself that he was that. Who has filled his head with all that?

I find it astounding that you could even begin to blame any of his price tag on him. The footballing ability, you aren't keen I understand all that but his price tag is out of his hands full stop.

You are implying him saying those things is the reason we paid the amount we did. Martinez is not stupid, he doesn't over pay because of a players words about himself. He bought the lad on potential. For years we've been saying we've been crying out for a 20 goal a striker. Now we've got one and we need to get behind the lad.

You consistently defend Barkley for his failings and blame it on his age yet Lukaku is the same age but you slate him and say age has nothing to do with it. Lukakus ball control isnt great, he isn't to good running the line or holding the ball up. Barkley has different faults and is just as guilty but because he has good feet and he came through the acadamy he gets a walk over. If Lukaku had come through our acadamy he would be getting excuses made just like Barkley is from our fans.

Fact is, Martinez paid all that money for him he should play the lad in a way that suits him, if he's gonna smash or transfer record he should be prepared to play a style that suits the player not piss the money up the wall by asking him to play a style that quite clearly doesn't play to his strengths.

Quick note on Bony, he was doing that in leagues a LOT shitter than the prem.

Fact is Haf, no matter what Lukaku does you will never support him because you just don't like thelad. Your minds clearly made up on him. You keep saying give Kone a chance and Barkley, well give Lukaku a chance. He scored 17 last season and he's got 4 already this so give him a chance, let him develop. If he's not improved by ghe time he gets to where Bony is now then I'll agree with you 100% but until then he neds to be given a chance and support.

And where do you think he got the belief in himself that he was that. Who has filled his head with all that?

I find it astounding that you could even begin to blame any of his price tag on him. The footballing ability, you aren't keen I understand all that but his price tag is out of his hands full stop.

You are implying him saying those things is the reason we paid the amount we did. Martinez is not stupid, he doesn't over pay because of a players words about himself. He bought the lad on potential. For years we've been saying we've been crying out for a 20 goal a striker. Now we've got one and we need to get behind the lad.

You consistently defend Barkley for his failings and blame it on his age yet Lukaku is the same age but you slate him and say age has nothing to do with it. Lukakus ball control isnt great, he isn't to good running the line or holding the ball up. Barkley has different faults and is just as guilty but because he has good feet and he came through the acadamy he gets a walk over. If Lukaku had come through our acadamy he would be getting excuses made just like Barkley is from our fans.

Fact is, Martinez paid all that money for him he should play the lad in a way that suits him, if he's gonna smash or transfer record he should be prepared to play a style that suits the player not piss the money up the wall by asking him to play a style that quite clearly doesn't play to his strengths.

Quick note on Bony, he was doing that in leagues a LOT shitter than the prem.

Fact is Haf, no matter what Lukaku does you will never support him because you just don't like thelad. Your minds clearly made up on him. You keep saying give Kone a chance and Barkley, well give Lukaku a chance. He scored 17 last season and he's got 4 already this so give him a chance, let him develop. If he's not improved by ghe time he gets to where Bony is now then I'll agree with you 100% but until then he neds to be given a chance and support.

If someone can give me evidence of a player with control as shocking at 21 as Lukaku who ends up being a top notch striker with a great touch then I will mention no more of it.

The reality is all the comparisons late bloomers like Drogba are nonsense and without any real foundation - Drogba was a late developer not because he couldn't control a ball - he was already known as a talented player - he was badly injury prone and his body did not react to training. The likes of Drogba, Klose, Luca Toni had the natural ability but for one reason or another never got a real chance at a top end club. Lukaku has been in and around the best training facilities since he was 15 and yet he has the touch of an elephant - it really is just one of those things. Some golfers just can't putt - doesn't matter how much practice they do they haven't got the feel.

You mention Barkley - he is a more appropriate comparitive to Drogba because of missed develeopment due to injury. The talent is there - its just that he has only had one season of playing regular top flight football and in that he has had injuries. Game time will improve his decision making and football brain. Every mistake is a step towards more wisdom - he often gives the ball away trying to do something "sparky and creative" - not by miscontrolling a simple 15 yard ball.

I have and will blame Martinez for Lukaku. He was very short sighted with regards to his striker signing if he knew he had £28m to spend he could have been more expansive.

I blame Lukaku for bigging himself up as some complete striker when in actual fact he is a fox in the box.

Did I want another striker? The answer is that I did not believe Lukaku was a striker that would be suited to us. Yes he scores goals, so did Kevin Phillips. I always thought that Lukaku was the ideal impact striker and that for £20m plus he would be suited to a club like PSG, Man City or stay at Chelsea to be utilised that way. Pretty much in the way that Ole Gunnar was used at Man United.

The player I identified was Wilfried Bony who I believe to be more competent all round player and Danny Welbeck at around £12m being a more prudent option based on the required development needs of both players.

http://www.squawka.com/news/why-the-match-against-wolfsburg-is-important-for-big-rom/179333

Maybe the article and especially half way down would actually make you realise that it is very accurate...

Gerd Muller was a "proper" fox in the box. Lukaku has much more to his game than him.

A fox in the box (to me) just means someone who gets tap ins. In this case you're trying to use it in a derogatory manner. There is much more to Lukaku's game than just hovering around the box and getting 6 yard tap ins (which all strikers get).

Gerd Muller was a "proper" fox in the box. Lukaku has much more to his game than him.

A fox in the box (to me) just means someone who gets tap ins. In this case you're trying to use it in a derogatory manner. There is much more to Lukaku's game than just hovering around the box and getting 6 yard tap ins (which all strikers get).

A fox in the box is reknown for their "penalty box goalscoring" - as proven by by Lukaku's goals on ther attached link - all came inside the penalty box. Did you think it related to the 6 yard box???

Rom has more to his game than Gerd Muller???!!! Thats going in the vault - he hasn't got anywhere near Mullers game.

Gerd Muller was a freak, was better in the air than Rom despite being 5ft 9, was more skillful, agile, balanced and would leave him for dust with his pace and acceleration. I really don't know where you pulled that one from.

Gerd Muller was well before my time but what I do know is he was a very limited player. He had a knack of being in the right place at the right time and was a poacher. Yes great in the air.

But you wouldn't see him taking players on and scoring goals. I've seen Lukaku do this and he's good at it (when in full stride facing goal).

To call him "just a fox in the box" is silly. You're putting him in the bracket of Muller/Inzaghi which isn't a bad thing. But he's nothing like those players.

You've picked one of the greatest strikers ever to use as a means of saying Rom has more to his game...

The reference to Muller was solely based on your "fox in the box" comment. That's the type of player who you can give that tag..... Rom has more to his game than just being a fox in the box.

I haven't said Lukaku is a better player I've said he's completely different and has more about his game than Muller.

The reference to Muller was solely based on your "fox in the box" comment. That's the type of player who you can give that tag..... Rom has more to his game than just being a fox in the box.

I haven't said Lukaku is a better player I've said he's completely different and has more about his game than Muller.

Muller had a lot more to his game believe me. Watch him on sky football s greatest.

Saying Lukaku has more to his game than Muller is like saying Phil jagielka is a more rounded defender than Bobby Moore.