IGNORED

To vote, or not to vote?

Matt

Vote or no vote?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Better to vote or not?

• Vote
    • Don't vote

Saw a poll showing more people not voting that any 1 party receiving votes by 50% (15m non voters, closest party were the Tori bastards with 10m).

I'm not going to ask for people to reveal their preferences, that's personal. The question is; vote or don't vote?

I'll most probably vote. Don't know who for. I find it hard to vote due to the dated and corrupt system, the distrust of all parties, how out of touch they are etc etc. But at the same time, I feel I have no right to complain etc if I don't vote? Also, it's a good 'right' to have.

I don't 'belong' to any particular party. My thoughts are my thoughts. I don't like pigeonholing. Left wing, Right wing, Centre...Left Centre, Right Centre...Left Right...What???

The main parties are all more centre now anyway. The days of definite Left and definite Right seem to have gone.

I do favour one party having a spell and then another party having a spell. To me, that brings a bit of balance.

I could go on for ages...the whole thing frustrates me.

Always vote, have in every election (local, national, European) since I was old enough to do so. In all that time I've always ended up in a minority.

Currently live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country so I know my vote will be a waste of time but I'll still use it; too many millions have died protecting our democracy to not vote for me.

Having said that I can see why (particularly younger) people don't; there's a fag paper between the "big" parties now and a general distrust of politicians of all colours. Many feel disenfranchised (I do to an extent).

When I was younger (both parents were politically active and both were candidates at local level) there were clear divides, you knew what you were voting for and trusted the politicians to stick by what they said rather than talk (hate the word) spin.

In short....I'll vote, I'll encourage my lad to also in what will be his first opportunity, but I can understand why some won't.

I'll most probably vote. Don't know who for. I find it hard to vote due to the dated and corrupt system, the distrust of all parties, how out of touch they are etc etc. But at the same time, I feel I have no right to complain etc if I don't vote? Also, it's a good 'right' to have.

I don't 'belong' to any particular party. My thoughts are my thoughts. I don't like pigeonholing. Left wing, Right wing, Centre...Left Centre, Right Centre...Left Right...What???

The main parties are all more centre now anyway. The days of definite Left and definite Right seem to have gone.

I do favour one party having a spell and then another party having a spell. To me, that brings a bit of balance.

I could go on for ages...the whole thing frustrates me.

Fair points, but I don't agree with the bit in bold.

In an ideal world for me we'd do away with the party system completely, everyone would vote for the candidate they thought was the best man for the job (rather than someone spouting a party line) and every vote in parliament would be down to each individuals conscience and opinion instead of him/her being told what he/she thinks by the party whip.

Never going to happen in a million years I know.

My side; I just see politicians as the same. They go into the job with good intentions (I'm tryin really hard to imagine them as human and be nice) but in the end, they all end up going back on their word, fail to deliver most of the few positives proposals and live luxurious lives (for the public sector at least). I know its all cliche, but they really are all the same in my eyes; corrupt, cheating, backstabbing, upper-class, whining, pompous liars.

American but I vote All elections. I think they are all corrupt, look out for their own interests and don't care about their constituents but for me there is a clearer half-right party versus the bat shit crazy party. the half right party is still scumbags filling their pockets with money while acting like their care about the common Man. I vote, might be futile but I do it. Really only thing that will change America is a civil war or revolution, could see it happening sooner than later.

Fair points, but I don't agree with the bit in bold.

In an ideal world for me we'd do away with the party system completely, everyone would vote for the candidate they thought was the best man for the job (rather than someone spouting a party line) and every vote in parliament would be down to each individuals conscience and opinion instead of him/her being told what he/she thinks by the party whip.

Never going to happen in a million years I know.

That's the one. That's a much better way forward. Away with the parties, it's such a dated system. So much wrong with it in the modern world. Voting for individuals with their very own thoughts would be much more transparent. Hopefully! But, yeah, not gonna happen. It will take a huge rebellion from the natives for anything to change. Although I do think that with less people voting and smaller parties winning more votes, the change kind of has been forced onto the traditional main parties to change, hence them being more 'middle'.

By the way, the bit you highlighted in bold. I didn't explain too well. I didn't mean that 2 parties automatically take turns with no vote etc. It was just my thinking on how I MIGHT vote in future. So and so have had 4-8 years, now I want so and so to have 4-8 years to find some balance. That probably makes no more sense!!!

American but I vote All elections. I think they are all corrupt, look out for their own interests and don't care about their constituents but for me there is a clearer half-right party versus the bat shit crazy party. the half right party is still scumbags filling their pockets with money while acting like their care about the common Man. I vote, might be futile but I do it. Really only thing that will change America is a civil war or revolution, could see it happening sooner than later.

I will admit, the only reason I found I'm not eligible to vote is because I inquired out of curiosity after the Tories got back in power, so I would be able to get some lesser evil in instead. Not sure I would've used it if I could, still maintain that silence can be just as powerful a voting tool.

It's my right and my way to have a say, even if it doesn't make any difference.

fair enough :)

Always voted, always will.

Can't remember who said it but 'Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' supports the democratic 'party' system. It may not be ideal but is the best of a bad job. I think everyone has a 'responsibility' to cast their vote.

I will admit, the only reason I found I'm not eligible to vote is because I inquired out of curiosity after the Tories got back in power, so I would be able to get some lesser evil in instead. Not sure I would've used it if I could, still maintain that silence can be just as powerful a voting tool.

fair enough :)

"Turnout" is quickly forgotten though Matt, 'specially by the people in power.

I'd be very much in favour of adding "None of the Above" to the ballot paper so that people could register their dissatisfaction in some way other than just not voting. A lot of people who don't vote are people who just can't be arsed with the world outside their window and couldn't name the prime minister.let alone his party. If they went to vote they'd have trouble spelling "X", so the impact of voting "silence" is diluted for me. If you could actually vote for "nobody" the protest could be quantified.

"Turnout" is quickly forgotten though Matt, 'specially by the people in power.

I'd be very much in favour of adding "None of the Above" to the ballot paper so that people could register their dissatisfaction in some way other than just not voting. A lot of people who don't vote are people who just can't be arsed with the world outside their window and couldn't name the prime minister.let alone his party. If they went to vote they'd have trouble spelling "X", so the impact of voting "silence" is diluted for me. If you could actually vote for "nobody" the protest could be quantified.

That would be my preference too, but so far as I know it doesn't exist. Would certainly separate the lazy from those who simply don't see a candidate worth voting for.

Always voted, always will.

Can't remember who said it but 'Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' supports the democratic 'party' system. It may not be ideal but is the best of a bad job. I think everyone has a 'responsibility' to cast their vote.

My responsibility was taken from me by the government, another reason why I hate politics!