IGNORED

Copa America 2016

The provisional teams were named yesterday.

http://www.concacaf.com/article/provisional-rosters-announced-for-copa-america-centenario-2016

All will be reduced from 40 players to 23 in two weeks.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is being shown in the UK because we have the Euros in July and the Olympics in August. I think it's possible somewhere like Premier Sports buys the rights like they did last year.

This will be a fun tournament to watch, even though the USA will probably get spanked -- I have very little faith in Klinsmann to inspire them. It's poor timing too, because it would be awesome to have a good tournament to keep increasing the popularity of the sport here. Folks seem to really get behind the national team more than club teams, but we also like results and to be entertained.

I hope I'm wrong, and we play some exciting football.

This will be a fun tournament to watch, even though the USA will probably get spanked -- I have very little faith in Klinsmann to inspire them. It's poor timing too, because it would be awesome to have a good tournament to keep increasing the popularity of the sport here. Folks seem to really get behind the national team more than club teams, but we also like results and to be entertained.

i'm the same as you. i think it will be great to watch the south american teams, i expect nothing from USA.

Same for me. I'd be shocked if the USA gets out of the group. But it will be fun to see some of South America's best playing in the states. Wish they were playing in DC, but RFK is about 30 years past its prime.

• 3 weeks later...

I've put in an application to drive the Nagbe + Pulisic hype train. Those two look great together. Klinsmann might have accidentally fallen into a perfect lineup. God I can't wait for June 3rd.

Pulisic scored tonight BTW. He's the youngest player to ever score for the USMNT.

At least we managed to keep it at 2-0 I guess.

Lol. Hope for a draw with Costa and Paraguay and we can still be in it.

Bradley was awful, every pass was to the opposition. Juergen with a stupid lineup again! Dempsey is not a striker! Argh, here's the lineup I want

Guzan

Yedlin Cameron Brooks Fabian

Bradley kitchen

Bedoya pulisic Nagbe

Wood

Do not let beckerman zusi Dempsey wondo jones and any other old has beens near the pitch.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Was saying this on twitter, but there hasn't been a decent match in the first 5 matches and the attendance has been bad. CONCACAF looks terrible: 2 red cards and zero goals so far.

The USA looked okay, but Columbia couldn't be bothered. I sense that the South American sides aren't taking it seriously.

I also predict that Klinsman will start spinning this tournament as "not that important" after we lose or draw with Costa Rica. Should we beat Costa Rica on Tuesday? Absolutely. We are better at every position except GK, and Navas isn't even playing. But we looked tactically bankrupt on Friday and the only way to fix that is to dump Dempsey and Jones and Jurgen will never do that. We also need to play our best player, Fabian Johnson, in his best position. I realize that leaves a gaping hole at left back, but Fabian was basically invisible on Friday. Zardes can't play on the same side as Yedlin as they take up the same space in attack.

For me, I'd do the following, 4-4-2:

Yedlin, Brooks, Beasler, Cameron (Yes I know that Cameron has never played left back. But he has played right back.)

Diamond midfield with Bradley protecting the back four, Nagbe as a central attacking midfielder, Bedoya on the right and Fabian on the left.

Wood and Pulisic up front. Or Wood and Dempsey with Pulisic on at the 55-60th minute.

With the exception of Cameron, I think that puts everyone in their best position. Another option would be a 3-5-2, with the same group of players. Yedlin would slide up and Cameron would be the third CB.

Ultimately, though, I don't think the formation is what beat us on Friday. Cameron and Yedlin both made dumb mistakes. We were slightly unlucky in front of goal. Eliminate the stupid mistakes and it is a 0-0 draw. (I mean what the hell Geoff Cameron? Have you never seen a pick play on a corner before?)

Lastly, Jermaine Jones has been a great servant to the team, but he is so clearly passed his prime I can't believe Jurgen can't see it. Sure he's been great in MLS, but being great in MLS is sort of like being the tallest 5 year old.

John Brooks is a beast. I think he'll be a name we'll see more often.

I agree, he cleared everything with his head or feet. Guzan was great as well.

Match turned into a street fight after the red cArd, must have been 7 yellows after that. Glad we won and advance, now we need Costa Rica to beat Colombia so we can play Peru and not Brazil.

Yep those are 2 of the bright young players for us. Both play in bundesliga. Our other 2 young bright spots were on the bench and are creative midfielders types, darlington Nagbe and Pulisic.

Costa Rica did the unthinkable and beat Colombia, USA won the group! Now we need to hope Brazil draws or beats Peru so we can play Peru and not Brazil.

Costa Rica did the unthinkable and beat Colombia, USA won the group! Now we need to hope Brazil draws or beats Peru so we can play Peru and not Brazil.

Peru's in trouble. If they lose or even draw to Brazil, Ecuador can take second place in the group by beating Haiti by 2 goals.

Or Brazil's in trouble. Because if Peru manage to defeat Brazil, Brazil will probably wind up third, and out.

Best bet is Brazil and Ecuador win. Then the issue will be goal difference between Peru and Ecuador.

I was very pessimistic about the US chance to get out of the group, so well done by the lads to win the group. I'm still not really happy with Jurgen, but he deserves credit for rallying the troops after the loss to Columbia. Pulisic and Nagbe need more minutes though!