IGNORED

What is your line of work?

Office manager, boring mundane type of shit you'd think? Not where I work. I've been involved in more scuffles, arguments, shouting matches, I've had people threaten to kill me, grown men sob like babies and a whole range of other stuff in my 16 years there. I'm in charge if sacking naughty boys and all the shitty end of the sticks. I also train all the new supervisors up.

Office manager, boring mundane type of shit you'd think? Not where I work. I've been involved in more scuffles, arguments, shouting matches, I've had people threaten to kill me, grown men sob like babies and a whole range of other stuff in my 16 years there. I'm in charge if sacking naughty boys and all the shitty end of the sticks. I also train all the new supervisors up.

That sounds like fun! Next time you're on hols let me know and I'll sit in for you; never sacked anyone in my life, feel like I've missed out :P.

You may come home to zero staff left though :lol:.

That sounds like fun! Next time you're on hols let me know and I'll sit in for you; never sacked anyone in my life, feel like I've missed out :P.

You may come home to zero staff left though :lol:.

Sometimes it's satisfying especially when it's an out and out slime ball or a dickhead who only ever likes to pick on women, other times it's not so nice.

I never enjoy it tbh but sometimes I get immense satisfaction out of getting rid of the absolute wrong-uns and trust me we've had our fare share of them over the years. I've been threatened with being kidnapped, knocked out, soilicitors, gangsters, the police and all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

If I could write a book on it it would be a best seller.

Maintenance depot train driver

I've been on the railway nine years and basically worked my way up from station staff via various other roles to where I am now, previously a joiner by trade who used to fit bespoke high end kitchens (good money shit job)

Very similar structure to a mainline driver but permanent nights is the biggest downside to it really but works well with the kids as I'm always there for after school etc other than that it's not a bad job relatively good money in today's world annual payrises without fail and in a solid industry with a great pension scheme and travel benefits

I wouldn't say I hate my job nor like it for the most part but when I step back and see where the majority of friends are in life now I count myself fairly lucky and have to try and look on the bright side as I want out at 55 so I've another 23/24 years to go ?

Edited by EFC-Paul

I work in contracts for something called the Federal Railroad Administration at the US Department of Transportation. The best part of my job is writing contracts for research and development--we actually have a site where we can crash trains together to learn how they derail in an accident--but I spend the majority of my time dealing with all the mundane garbage that comes with an office job.

And just as a nod to my English and European friends, everyone that works for my agency is jealous of the European train system. Passenger rail in the US is abysmal compared to Europe.

I work in contracts for something called the Federal Railroad Administration at the US Department of Transportation. The best part of my job is writing contracts for research and development--we actually have a site where we can crash trains together to learn how they derail in an accident--but I spend the majority of my time dealing with all the mundane garbage that comes with an office job.

And just as a nod to my English and European friends, everyone that works for my agency is jealous of the European train system. Passenger rail in the US is abysmal compared to Europe.

Very cool Keith. I am a huge rail proponent. So much cheaper and more efficient than semi trucks on the road.

Very cool Keith. I am a huge rail proponent. So much cheaper and more efficient than semi trucks on the road.

Yep, the TV commercials are right. Freight rail is way more efficient than trucking. We've gotten smarter over the last 20 or so years about multi-modal distribution and the freight rails have become extremely profitable, and frankly, more competitive, which has driven prices down and improved quality. Derailments are down and so are non-derailment accidents, so the industry is thriving. I'd like to to think my agency had something to do with that via its regulatory role!

Yep, the TV commercials are right. Freight rail is way more efficient than trucking. We've gotten smarter over the last 20 or so years about multi-modal distribution and the freight rails have become extremely profitable, and frankly, more competitive, which has driven prices down and improved quality. Derailments are down and so are non-derailment accidents, so the industry is thriving. I'd like to to think my agency had something to do with that via its regulatory role!

Yes great stuff. I voted yes for the high speed rail in California and for it in Ohio (it didn't pass). I like trains just always have but after being to Europe and seeing their system and the east coast of the US and how well it does there I'm convinced it's the way forward. The east

Coast is booming because you can get from DC and Baltimore all the way up to philly nyc conn to Boston and everything in between.

Keep it short and simple, I'm a plumber/gas fitter.

Perks are I work for myself/do my own hours and was able to do the same job whilst living abroad in the U.K. ( wouldn't have been able to do anything like I did on my travels working behind a bar or something )

Crashing stuff for a living??

I'm sold, get me in!!!

Elementary orchestra teacher. Finishing my 20th year TODAY. :)

It's a tough job not having to work for the remaining days in June, July, August, and the beginning of September......but think of me in September when 9 year-olds are learning to play violin, viola, cello, and string bass for the first time in their lives - it's not recommended for folks short on patience. Great gig though overall, music is my number one passion and I now make a decent living with great benefits and a sweet pension after 30 years. Plus the summer off doesn't exactly sucketh.

Crashing stuff for a living??

I'm sold, get me in!!!

Unfortunately our test site is in Colorado and I'm DC based, so I haven't been able to actually see a live crash test. They don't happen very often because, as you can imagine, they are extremely expensive. The live testing is mostly to validate the computer models they build to test on a very much cheaper scale.

Unfortunately our test site is in Colorado and I'm DC based, so I haven't been able to actually see a live crash test. They don't happen very often because, as you can imagine, they are extremely expensive. The live testing is mostly to validate the computer models they build to test on a very much cheaper scale.

I'd spend my whole working life trying to blag myself in to one of them.