IGNORED

World Cup Snacks

rubecula

OK  yer missus decides to bugger off out of the house while you watch the footy,  suddenly you realise you are hungry😱

What can you do that is quick and easy?  (yes ok you can pig out on a bag of crisps/peanuts/whatever)

Anyway, this thread is for you to pass on your food tips that are quick and easy to do/and eat.

My first one is a microwave jacket SWEET potato.  

(takes less than ten mins)

1/  Grab a medium sized sweet potato

2/  Wash it and also soak a paper towel with clean water.

3/  Stab your victim a few times with a fork (easier than clearing up an exploded potato)

4/  Wrap it in the moist paper towel and plonk it on a microwaveable plate.

5/  Cook on full power for about 6 mins (3 and 3 is best I have found.)

6/  Leave to cool for a few mins unless you like to self mutilate your gob.

7/  Put a slice down the middle with a sharp knife and fill it with you chosen filling (I like MIMOLETTE cheese but you put in what you want)

8/  Sit down and fill yer face with a nice beer to wash it all down,  Job's a good 'un.

PS this also works on a spud I have been told,  I replied "get to f.... my meal is my rules" :lol:

enjoy 

Hate sweet potato and have never owned a microwave so a bit of a non-starter for me that.

Go to for me; mussels/prawns (either or both) with raw mushroom, red onion and crispy bacon marinated in a simple balsamic/olive oil dressing; fresh coriander and mint in it as well if we have some, if not a dab of English mustard in the sauce.

Otherwise a Marmite and cucumber sandwich will do.

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Hate sweet potato and have never owned a microwave so a bit of a non-starter for me that.

Go to for me; mussels/prawns (either or both) with raw mushroom, red onion and crispy bacon marinated in a simple balsamic/olive oil dressing; fresh coriander and mint in it as well if we have some, if not a dab of English mustard in the sauce.

tried scallops?

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Ha!  To be honest the only reason I know about the stuff is Latin American cuisine and they prounounce it cilantro.  

It's my favourite herb (that's herb with an "h" btw, not 'erb like you colonials pronounce it; and while we're on the subject "basil" is spoken as it's written, it's not "baysil":mad:).

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It's my favourite herb (that's herb with an "h" btw, not 'erb like you colonials pronounce it; and while we're on the subject "basil" is spoken as it's written, it's not "baysil":mad:).

I've never really understood why they don't say the "h".

Or why they call it aluminum when it's aluminium :unsure: 

Lol.  Funny mike I think you guys are the only ones that pronounce the h in herb.  Looking up the history of it. Apparently no one pronounced the h until the 19th century.  You’re on the wrong side of history there pal ;)

cilantro is ok, I find it can be overpowering so best when used sparingly.

i love basil in pasta.  Also love both basil and cilantro in PHo, which is a Vietnamese noodle soup with beef.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Lol.  Funny mike I think you guys are the only ones that pronounce the h in herb.  Looking up the history of it. Apparently no one pronounced the h until the 19th century.  You’re on the wrong side of history there pal ;)

That's bizarre!

Also being bizarre because American's tend to speak phonetically.

You learn something new everyday it seems.

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

I knew you weren’t really human

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've never really understood why they don't say the "h".

Or why they call it aluminum when it's aluminium :unsure: 

Why they don’t say “herb”

https://youtu.be/Y6lJGD3Q9Qs

Herb is derived from French who can’t speak their own language so don’t expect the Americans too :lol:

“It's came to English via the French word 'erbe' from the Latin 'herba', and was pronounced with the Latin silent 'H'. In the 19th century, the British started pronouncing things as they were spelled, adding the vocalized 'H'. Americans retained the original pronunciation.”

https://www.quora.com/Has-the-word-herb-always-been-pronounced-as-erb-in-the-US

Aluminium was a spelling mistake!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Why they don’t say “herb”

https://youtu.be/Y6lJGD3Q9Qs

Herb is derived from French who can’t speak their own language so don’t expect the Americans too :lol:

“It's came to English via the French word 'erbe' from the Latin 'herba', and was pronounced with the Latin silent 'H'. In the 19th century, the British started pronouncing things as they were spelled, adding the vocalized 'H'. Americans retained the original pronunciation.”

https://www.quora.com/Has-the-word-herb-always-been-pronounced-as-erb-in-the-US

Aluminium was a spelling mistake!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

yeah that's what i read too.  you english are the .....snobby....ahem only difference.  

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Copying the aristocrats of 17th century France seems a bit more snobby, and pretentious, to me dude 😛

the language is English, not Frenglish :shakingfist:

copying?  more like pronouncing it the way it should be pronounced.  silent LATIN H.  silent FRENCH h.  take your crumpets and tea and small talk somewhere else you polite bastard ;)

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

copying?  more like pronouncing it the way it should be pronounced.  silent LATIN H.  silent FRENCH h.  take your crumpets and tea and small talk somewhere else you polite bastard ;)

You're honestly making an exhibition of yourself, take your ghastly opinions to your nearest ghetto using your vehicle of choice, there's no rhyme or reason for the rhubarb you're talking. I'm exhausted thinking about it.

We decide where the silent h's go, get over it you....er....rhinoceros:unsure::shakingfist:.

Mike you are seeming to forget that we "colonialist" (OMG that cracks me up when I see that used!) used to have to pay a tax to the crown for each letter we used - pronounced or written. That's why it's an "erb" not a "herb" even if it happens to be our FAVORITE COLOR.

It's was an economics choice, because the tea was killing us already.

The Syntax Tax of 1631 isn'tt really taught in school, I'd venture to say that no one has even heard of it until they read about it. In this post.

But now you know.

48 minutes ago, MikeO said:

You're honestly making an exhibition of yourself, take your ghastly opinions to your nearest ghetto using your vehicle of choice, there's no rhyme or reason for the rhubarb you're talking. I'm exhausted thinking about it.

We decide where the silent h's go, get over it you....er....rhinoceros:unsure::shakingfist:.

:rofl: