• Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Richarlison
    • Jean-Philippe Gbamin
    • Moise Kean
    • Tom Davies

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. 

You see when City or Liverpool struggle to break a team down, they keep going and going, and will often score late. If you have a tactic that is getting you through time and time again, like it was yesterday but we didn’t beat the keeper, why would you do something else. If we were doing it but not making chances then change, the problem wasn’t the tactic. The tactic was working, we broke them down as listed by Shukes above, our players didn’t finish them off. That’s on them.

Palace are a team that are well drilled and solid at the back. They deserve credit for that. Hodgeson may not be a top level manager, but he’s no mug. 

We were never gonna score from any of them though. The only real opportunity was the one that fell to Sigurdssen and he put wide and that was more luck than tactical nous. Our expected goals stat was 1.22 (to their 0.89). It's not the players missing the chances, it's the system their playing not creating enough good chances. We weren't breaking them down, the last shot in target in the game was in the 62nd minute. City and Liverpool create goal scoring opportunities, we create half chances. City also mix it up when they're struggling they take more risks they commit more players forward and play more speculative passes trying to force an opening. 

He's a poor man's Sam Alladyce. 

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

Haha you have become a parody of yourself!

As usual avoid adding any substance to the conversation and having a dig. You mightn't agree with my views but at least I give reasons for why I have come to whatever conclusion/opinion. It would be brilliant if you actually delved deeper beyond the face of your opinion and enlightened me with your thought process. 

Just now, pete0 said:

As usual avoid adding any substance to the conversation and having a dig. You mightn't agree with my views but at least I give reasons for why I have come to whatever conclusion/opinion. It would be brilliant if you actually delved deeper beyond the face of your opinion and enlightened me with your thought process. 

I already gave you it, I believe our tactics were working due to the chances we created and it was the players who didn’t finish them off. You know that’s my opinion because you replied to it. 

In regard to a poor mans Sam? You really need a response to that? Honestly? You’ve gone from saying he’s a Mark 2 Martinez to poor mans Sam, that’s two managers who are the polar opposite but you find a weird yet offensive comparison to both. If you don’t get why I would disagree with that (and I’m sure I’m not the only person on here to disagree with that idea) then you’ve not taken any notice of any discussions we’ve had around managers over the last few years. 

The only time I reduce to just having a dig is when I think that the posts you make are just to cause conflict rather than to add to the conversation. This was one of those times. As you’ve championed Sam since his sacking I find it weird for you to call Marco a poor mans version, so I can only assume it’s because you want to get a reaction. So instead of reacting with detail I’d rather tell you what I actually think, which is that you are a parody of yourself. That is my genuine opinion. You’ve created this weird character who hates everything that people like and likes everything that people hate, but every now and then your views go so extreme that they aren’t always believable. Therefore I actually think you are a parody of yourself. 

I don’t think comparing city’s style is a valid measuring stick as to what we are trying to achieve on the park. They are miles and miles ahead of everyone. I don’t agree with the fat Sam analogy either. I like Marco but I have concerns also Pete. I agree that I’m yet to see a tactical mastermind there but I’m not as harsh as yourself. I would like to see him change formation or tinker a little bit more with regards to style and certain players always playing regardless of form. Games like yesterday are either going to make us or break us because the likes of wolves and Leicester would have put two past them and won the game. We need that mentality  and a bit of urgency. Gilfi is most expensive player and was bought to take hold of games, if he’s not producing he needs to be dropped. The same as Marco needs to be finding out how to win those games by the decision he makes. Against a poor palace team to put JPG on alongside Morgan was silly. We lost the impetus and he should have made a more positive attacking move 

17 minutes ago, StevO said:

I already gave you it, I believe our tactics were working due to the chances we created and it was the players who didn’t finish them off. You know that’s my opinion because you replied to it. 

In regard to a poor mans Sam? You really need a response to that? Honestly? You’ve gone from saying he’s a Mark 2 Martinez to poor mans Sam, that’s two managers who are the polar opposite but you find a weird yet offensive comparison to both. If you don’t get why I would disagree with that (and I’m sure I’m not the only person on here to disagree with that idea) then you’ve not taken any notice of any discussions we’ve had around managers over the last few years. 

The only time I reduce to just having a dig is when I think that the posts you make are just to cause conflict rather than to add to the conversation. This was one of those times. As you’ve championed Sam since his sacking I find it weird for you to call Marco a poor mans version, so I can only assume it’s because you want to get a reaction. So instead of reacting with detail I’d rather tell you what I actually think, which is that you are a parody of yourself. That is my genuine opinion. You’ve created this weird character who hates everything that people like and likes everything that people hate, but every now and then your views go so extreme that they aren’t always believable. Therefore I actually think you are a parody of yourself. 

Pretty sure the poor mans S*m is referring to Woy

9 minutes ago, StevO said:

You said we created chances, I've just said they were only half chances as shown by the expected goals stat of 1.22. You could have argued the stat was wrong and that chance x was a significant one or named a few good bits of play that should have resulted in a better chance if not for someone's touch or whatever reason. You never though, you just ignored it and had a dig, with the justification being rediculous as by throwing a dig you're the one causing conflict. 

I was referring to Hodgson as a poor man's Alladyce. Thought that was clear. Only polarised opinions have been Gana, Jags and Pienaar. But even then towards the end it wasn't as polarised. Very worrying thought process you have. 

You must hate Pickford, Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Richarlison, and DCL as I was happy with all them last year. 

22 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You said we created chances, I've just said they were only half chances as shown by the expected goals stat of 1.22. You could have argued the stat was wrong and that chance x was a significant one or named a few good bits of play that should have resulted in a better chance if not for someone's touch or whatever reason. You never though, you just ignored it and had a dig, with the justification being rediculous as by throwing a dig you're the one causing conflict. 

I was referring to Hodgson as a poor man's Alladyce. Thought that was clear. Only polarised opinions have been Gana, Jags and Pienaar. But even then towards the end it wasn't as polarised. Very worrying thought process you have. 

You must hate Pickford, Digne, Zouma, Gomes, Richarlison, and DCL as I was happy with all them last year. 

I really don’t care about expected goals as a stat, I care about what I see in front of my eyes. 

Wasnt clear to me you were referring to Hodgeson as I’m so used to your unjust criticism of Silva I assumed it was about him, apologies for reading that wrong. 

You were only happy with six players? It must be a nightmare for you to watch Everton. I don’t know how you got through the 90’s. 

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

Then there was DCLs header that missed that far post

You mean the free header that he got no where near on target from 5 or 6 yards out, sorry for hi jacking your post mate but a decent striker would have done a lot better with that, hopefully Kean is the answer to our frontman problems, and we start getting the goals that our possession and chances deserve. 

12 minutes ago, Palfy said:

You mean the free header that he got no where near on target from 5 or 6 yards out, sorry for hi jacking your post mate but a decent striker would have done a lot better with that, hopefully Kean is the answer to our frontman problems, and we start getting the goals that our possession and chances deserve. 

No mate the one that was behind him, and yet he still kept the ball alive which ended up in not only a chance on goal, but one that beat the keeper and was only cleared of the line. It was the closest we came to scoring. That’s the one mate.

Haha your a crap troll sometimes Palf!

2 hours ago, StevO said:

I really don’t care about expected goals as a stat, I care about what I see in front of my eyes. 

Wasnt clear to me you were referring to Hodgeson as I’m so used to your unjust criticism of Silva I assumed it was about him, apologies for reading that wrong. 

You were only happy with six players? It must be a nightmare for you to watch Everton. I don’t know how you got through the 90’s. 

Easy to argue with expected goal stats with examples were you'd say it was on his good foot angle not that bad etc but you've not. You've not said what you saw, only made a reference to another person's post but didn't go any deeper. Say why chance x was a good one and the player is at fault for not doing better. 

If you're apologising for anything it should be the dig.

Nothing unjust about my critism of Silva. Did we do the same thing that didn't work last time? If it didn't work last time why did we? What signs were there that it would work this time round? Subs wise what was the thought process, even if Gbamin was fully fit we shouldn't be playing two DMs against Palace especially whilst we're looking for a winner. The other sub, a striker for a striker when he issue was getting the ball into the forward is hard to comprehend, why would that fix the problem. 

Happy with their effort and total contribution. The likes of Bernard, Sigurdssen, Tosun, Coleman, and Walcott could have done better be it due to their personal performance or misfit tactics. We never really used anyone else unless you count Gana who thank God is no longer at the club. Davies, Kenny, Mina, and Schneiderlin done well when called upon but didn't play or do enough to deserve a mention. 

Too young to remember half the 90s but what I do remember is the players working harder and loving the club. They mightn't of had as much ability but made up with it with the extra hard work. If you're happy with 8th then maybe you should ask the club to change the motto. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

No mate the one that was behind him, and yet he still kept the ball alive which ended up in not only a chance on goal, but one that beat the keeper and was only cleared of the line. It was the closest we came to scoring. That’s the one mate.

Haha your a crap troll sometimes Palf!

It was a poor attempt he miss timed it completely and made it look harder than it should have been, you can see the pain in his face he knows he completely blew it, shame you didn’t. 

If you saw he had a header on goal which resulted in a chance been cleared off the line, I didn’t I saw his attempt go the usual route high and wide. 

😀 I’m not trolling I’m just strolling around the threads having a browse, and if I come across a post like yours I feel impelled or compelled or both  to respond, I hope you don’t mind mate after all it is a forum 😉

Well I saw DCL sitting on his heels when a straight forward run across the front post would have led to a shot on goal from 6 yards (which he knew judging by his reaction) and I saw Bernard waste countless opportunities to pass or shoot when all he actually did was give the ball away.

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

It was a poor attempt he miss timed it completely and made it look harder than it should have been, you can see the pain in his face he knows he completely blew it, shame you didn’t. 

If you saw he had a header on goal which resulted in a chance been cleared off the line, I didn’t I saw his attempt go the usual route high and wide. 

😀 I’m not trolling I’m just strolling around the threads having a browse, and if I come across a post like yours I feel impelled or compelled or both  to respond, I hope you don’t mind mate after all it is a forum 😉

Eh? It was cleared of the line mate. You are kidding right haha! For a min I thought you were serious.

Was just about to start questioning whether you have ever played football in your life, then realised your on a wind up.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Well I saw DCL sitting on his heels when a straight forward run across the front post would have led to a shot on goal from 6 yards (which he knew judging by his reaction) and I saw Bernard waste countless opportunities to pass or shoot when all he actually did was give the ball away.

Ye I saw a lot of this myself. If I was Marco I would make a few changes at home on Saturday. We need to go for their throats.

• MikeO locked this topic