IGNORED

F1 Chat

Hamilton around three quarters of a second faster than Verstappen in P2, only a crash or car problem is going to stop him now I think.

If Max had done the sensible thing and backed off at Silverstone he'd have won it; another key moment was Bottas and Russell's crash at Imola that allowed Lewis to unlap himself, so he needs to thank his present and future team mates as well.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Hamilton around three quarters of a second faster than Verstappen in P2, only a crash or car problem is going to stop him now I think.

If Max had done the sensible thing and backed off at Silverstone he'd have won it; another key moment was Bottas and Russell's crash at Imola that allowed Lewis to unlap himself, so he needs to thank his present and future team mates as well.

Don't discount when Hamilton fucked up himself (can't remember where it was) when he took Perez on the start but locked up and went straight off.

I said all along that it'd be a comfortable Championship for Verstappen, so I'm very surprised it's come down to the last race. I really think Merc took their eye off the ball between seasons because they thought they had a big enough advantage over RB to do the minimum and concentrate on the regulation changes for the season after.

It's a testament to their quality that they've come back the way they have.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That was Azerbaijan and the difference there was that neither of them scored any points.

Hamilton was nailed on for the win if he hadn't messed up, that's my point. So, they've both lost certain points. It's been quite a messy Championship this season but I guess that's what you get when the pressure is on.

Fascinating grid, great performance from Lando, interesting him saying he doesn't know whether to get involved with the front two or not. I don't see how he can avoid it myself, if he backs off he'll get picked off by Perez and Sainz, racing instinct will kick in and he could possibly jump Hamilton on the soft tyres; Perez and Sainz also on softs could cause Hamilton problems. I had Lewis as hot favourite but looks a bit more complicated now, bring it on!

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fascinating grid, great performance from Lando, interesting him saying he doesn't know whether to get involved with the front two or not. I don't see how he can avoid it myself, if he backs off he'll get picked off by Perez and Sainz, racing instinct will kick in and he could possibly jump Hamilton on the soft tyres; Perez and Sainz also on softs could cause Hamilton problems. I had Lewis as hot favourite but looks a bit more complicated now, bring it on!

isn't Hamilton on the softs as well?

43 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Do you know how many sets of mediums and softs they can call on?

For the whole weekend they had two sets of the C3 (hard), three sets of the C4 (medium) and eight sets of the C5 (soft), but who has what left unused I don't know. Verstappen flat spotted a set of mediums in Q2 which I'd be pretty sure were his last new set, they'll all certainly have a new set of hards which they'll use for the second stint. The question is how long the softs last at the start of the race and whether some need to two stop.

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

For the whole weekend they had two sets of the C3 (hard), three sets of the C4 (medium) and eight sets of the C5 (soft), but who has what left unused I don't know. Verstappen flat spotted a set of mediums in Q2 which I'd be pretty sure were his last new set, they'll all certainly have a new set of hards which they'll use for the second stint. The question is how long the softs last at the start of the race and whether some need to two stop.

Thanks mate. I did see that Verstappen had flat spotted a front tyre on one set of mediums, there was a discussion had that the position it’s in they could swap it to the other side to make it usable. I can’t wait for tomorrow this is going to be race to remember no matter the outcome or how it’s achieved. Genuinely good luck to both of them, I’m more of Hamilton fan but I must say I wouldn’t be upset if Verstappen wins he’s definitely growing on me with his style of driving. 

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Thanks mate. I did see that Verstappen had flat spotted a front tyre on one set of mediums, there was a discussion had that the position it’s in they could swap it to the other side to make it usable. I can’t wait for tomorrow this is going to be race to remember no matter the outcome or how it’s achieved. Genuinely good luck to both of them, I’m more of Hamilton fan but I must say I wouldn’t be upset if Verstappen wins he’s definitely growing on me with his style of driving. 

No secret that I'm not a Hamilton fan (though I dislike him less now than I used to and if he takes the title he'll deserve it), so I'd prefer Verstappen to win it, but that's not just down to the drivers; I want the Mercedes dominance to end primarily. That said in my dream scenario Lando wins the race (not going to happen unless Lewis and Max take each other out).

Hopefully next season McLaren come up with a decent car again under the new regs and we have three Brits challenging at the pointy end.

Can’t believe that finish.

For starters that turn 8 incident max had no intention of making the apex again - just dive bombed into the corner and lewis was forced to avoid.

Seocndly - the finish was a complete cluster fuck. I think Hamilton was screwed there, I’m not a fan of either but feel really sorry for him.