IGNORED

Jo

Here Here.

I'd like to note Dan Goslings goal the other night. As Jo is becoming better at holding/linking play together, it was his header that directly found Yak so he could turn and put Dan through. I really think 2 up front is the way to go, or perhaps just an option for change.

Always has been for me, although we have never really had the midfield to carry this off since the mid eighties. We are getting there now though and it should be the preferred option in most games imo.

Always has been for me, although we have never really had the midfield to carry this off since the mid eighties. We are getting there now though and it should be the preferred option in most games imo.

I think over the past three games Felli and Rodders in centre mid has looked an awesome combination, and has made no small contribution to our sudden finding of form. Midfield four of Bily, Rodwell, Fellaini and Pienaar looks the business - hard I know to leave Tim C out, I love him, but he's never been a 4-4-2 player, would be a great impact sub tho and an option to swap to 4-4-1-1 for tougher away games (altho early doors against Athens he did play deep alongside Rodders with Felli pushing on, he looked good but the opposition was crap). And then Arteta to come back, Osman and Gosling as options - oh to have selection headaaches, hey DM?!

And to get back on topic - yeah i think Jo is an excellent third choice striker, nowhere near as leathal in front of goal as the Yak and Louis, but what a pair to learn from. With Louis getting on, I don't think we can afford not to sign Jo outright - and let's face it, Man Shitty aren't gonna have any great need for him. I reckon we wanna be planning that now, get a £12m bid in as soon as possible early summer

Edited by nogs

Though he is much maligned among the fans, I think he is an outstanding talent. It's also no sh1t sherlock that he has scored twice when partnered up front, I hope he stays beyond the season as he will grow to be a goal machine. Remember, the lad only 21!

Thats the key. I said it from the beggining. In pre-season Jo was partnerd and was scoring, it goes back to his CSKA days with Love. Jo is a finisher and reader of the game, so he needs someone to do some of the lead-up play for him. Ive always liked Jo, it took time but he really is finding his feet now and best of luck to him! 21 is also another bonus, as he has soo many years to learn from established strikers (Yak, Saha)

I think over the past three games Felli and Rodders in centre mid has looked an awesome combination, and has made no small contribution to our sudden finding of form. Midfield four of Bily, Rodwell, Fellaini and Pienaar looks the business - hard I know to leave Tim C out, I love him, but he's never been a 4-4-2 player, would be a great impact sub tho and an option to swap to 4-4-1-1 for tougher away games (altho early doors against Athens he did play deep alongside Rodders with Felli pushing on, he looked good but the opposition was crap). And then Arteta to come back, Osman and Gosling as options - oh to have selection headaaches, hey DM?!

And to get back on topic - yeah i think Jo is an excellent third choice striker, nowhere near as leathal in front of goal as the Yak and Louis, but what a pair to learn from. With Louis getting on, I don't think we can afford not to sign Jo outright - and let's face it, Man Shitty aren't gonna have any great need for him. I reckon we wanna be planning that now, get a £12m bid in as soon as possible early summer

now hang on guys. I really like him too, but this is 1 goal and we're talking about a 12mill bid?! let him prove himself first, which im sure he will.

i agree with the rest though; he desperately needs to play in 442 to be at his best, so its down to DM to see that and play that way. I think he may start to now as were not short of players. The idea of leaving Tim out i dont agree with but i agree he would be an excellent impact sub but so is Felli so why not rotate?

Jo cannot play as a lone striker, has very little confidence at the moment and no matter how you sugar coat it, is not banging in the goals like he was brought over to do. Like Romey said, I can't help but like the guy too he is at least trying to prove his worth and has a great attitude.

If he stays parterned with Saha or Yak then maybe he will start getting more goals but he will be in the shadows of Saha & Yak this season (would love to be proved wrong Jo ;) ).

now hang on guys. I really like him too, but this is 1 goal and we're talking about a 12mill bid?! let him prove himself first, which im sure he will.

i agree with the rest though; he desperately needs to play in 442 to be at his best, so its down to DM to see that and play that way. I think he may start to now as were not short of players. The idea of leaving Tim out i dont agree with but i agree he would be an excellent impact sub but so is Felli so why not rotate?

Well i think for his age, his potential and the price strikers go for, that would be a reasonable price - £6m less than City paid for him, remember. But yeah, would be dependent on him banging a few in for us I agree.

My personal preference would be to stop using Felli in the forward-looking role he played last season - I know he got goals but it's not his game. Let him play in the centre - he can tackle, pass and cause problems going forward, I'm not sure Cahill has the same all-round attributes and I don't think he works well in a 4-4-2, so if that's how we're gonna play, for me Tim C is the one who has to miss out. And I hate saying that because he's one of my favourite players in the team, but realistically I think an on-form Jo, Yak and Saha playing up front together will score more goals than him.

Just as a serious question here cos I dunno the answer. But Can we sign Jo on a permanent basis now the window has closed? I mean he is registered with us as a loan player, but if we want him and want to tie him to the club, do we still have to wait for the next window?

I am not sure how this works.

Just as a serious question here cos I dunno the answer. But Can we sign Jo on a permanent basis now the window has closed?

Yes, as we did it with Howard and Pienaar I think. The deal can be agreed, with money changing hands once the window is over. I hope Jo stays, Saha is getting on and he would make perfect foil for the Yak. And he is far better than other names thrown around at Everton, like Nugent and other goal failures.

I think we will end up going back for Victor Moses, which I hope we do - type of forward we need. City are unlikely to let Jo leave for less than £10m, especially after the lescott saga. £10m for Jo? Not sure as yet. If we are to play 442 and he prospers in that role then maybe, but at this moment in time I think £10m+ could be better used towards moutino or van der vaart as we need a creative central midfielder option to cover arteta.

I think we will end up going back for Victor Moses, which I hope we do - type of forward we need. City are unlikely to let Jo leave for less than £10m, especially after the lescott saga. £10m for Jo? Not sure as yet. If we are to play 442 and he prospers in that role then maybe, but at this moment in time I think £10m+ could be better used towards moutino or van der vaart as we need a creative central midfielder option to cover arteta.

Bily?

I wouldn't like Everton to spend a trillion billion pounds on yet another creative central midfielder to see one of the 3( bily, arteta and another undoubtably expensive player) get stuck on the bench.

I know he's been very inconsistent but I just can't help but like Jo, I hope he succeeds here, I really do.

Fully agree. He clearly loves playing for Everton, and that make sme like him. He offers something different up front too. His hold up play is fantastic and when he is played off another striker then he is much more succesful. He's getting more used to the Leauge and the strength needed, unfortunatly he is one of those strikers who will contribute to a teams win but will not score bucket loads of goals, at least in this league anyway. I still like him here and think he definatly brings something to the part, you cant really compare him to the likes of Saha and Yak. Jo is the hold-up man, Saha and Yak the finishers.

IMO play Yak and Jo together and we could create something very rare in football now. A decent strike partnership.

I think the jury is still out on Jo

For me he doesnt do enough, especially away from home , to warrant splashing £10M

I think he needs to do a lot more to earn a permanent move here. I would like to see it work out for him here but at the moment he seems to play well at goodison when the team is playing well but in away games and when the team is not performing so well he tends to go missing

Injury proneness aside, is he better than Vaughan?

I'd say a bit but not much in it.

Jo has the ability to beat a player which I like. Its a good option that we haven't had since Mcfudge.

I think he's much better than Vaughan

In fact, I believe Agard and Baxter are going to be better than Vaughan. As of now James seems to be a flash in the pan until he proves otherwise at Derby, and of course I hope he does.

On Jo, I like the way he plays, I genuinely do, furthermore I like the differences he offers in terms of attributes compared to our other hitmen. My assesment of him is this so far:

Football to me, is a game that is diven heavily by emotion. You have your strikers such as a Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Drogba, etc. who all happen to be power players. Tons of fight and determination that translates into pissy attitudes and lashing out when an oppurtunity is missed or a chance is halted someone or something. Then when they score they yell, scream and do whatever like a giant figuaritve exhalation. Jo is not like those strikers, in fact none of ours are...the only one that would be close is Saha, based on celebrations alone. But Jo is only driven by happiness and will because this sport satisfies a void within him; when he scores pretty much all he does is smile, when he doesn't his reaction speaks volumes. The dude just wants to be happy, no he's not Tevez, but he seems to have a love and loyalty for Everton like no other. His work rate has improved though, with instilled confidence he's taken it upon himself to drop back and make runs from deeper. Going back to the Wigan game, when Jo came on he made a difference and that run down the right into the box involved a fantastic step over and a clear foul as he was in after that. It was a ridiculous match in general but he deserved that for his effort and we converted. So without those points we'd still be hanging out with Pompey and Hull at the bottom. I gurantee you Vaughan wouldn't have come on and changed the game that drastically.

And what about the Athens and Hull matches? He was great, the furthestmost cog for us on the pitch. At Goodison he linked up with everyone (Bily, Peanuts) and held up play, and deserved his well taken goal. He caused Hull all sorts of problems and most importantly played great with Yakubu.

Of course this is all just my opinion and like many others have said is most likely futile considering we don't play 2 up front. One thing I'm sure of is that with a forward like Jo his developement will only move as fast as the time he gets on the pitch. As long as our formation stays as stoic as it's been then he'll have an even harder time coming into his own.

The Samba Man needs Stability

Interesting post Nutmeg.

If Vaughan plays like we think he can play, do you think him an Jo would be a good partnership up front?

Depends on how you think he can play. Beginning to wonder whether his "headless chicken" style of play is not just the over-exuberance of youth but actually the extent of his talent. Hope that's wrong, his time at Derby will probably tell.

Personally I like Jo, like his attitude and I love having a Brazilian at the club. Hope we sign him and he becomes a legend...but then I hope the whole squad do because it means we'll be winning things :) .

I remember watching Vaughan come on against Birmingham at 1-1 and the game at stalemate, few minutes 3-1 Everton Vaughan turned the game! would Jo have done that?

Vaughans too injury prone to compare him to Jo, he hasn't had any luck.

Sure JO plays with a smile on his face, will that win games? Jo seems a likeable player, I dont think he will get picked ahead of Saha or a fit Yak.I think which ever team had taken him away from his hell at Man City would have had his love and respect.I hope he does make it for Everton, but he will cost us plenty....Vaughan if he makes it will have cost us nothing.

I remember watching Vaughan come on against Birmingham at 1-1 and the game at stalemate, few minutes 3-1 Everton Vaughan turned the game! would Jo have done that?

Reminds me of the playground jibes one would hear, like 'My dad bigger than your dad'! It's academic what Vaughan did in one game, his poor goal record and poorer playing record is evident. Jo looks like Bambi sometimes, but is virtually an ever present and more importantly contributes to the team in general. It's not rocket science to see why Moyes picks Jo ahead of Vaughan this season, then sent Vaughan out on loan.

If Vaughan plays like we think he can play, do you think him an Jo would be a good partnership up front?

Perhaps, I know they had a few minutes together in pre-season, with Vaughan the provider of some inventive flicks into the box and what not...

Vaughans too injury prone to compare him to Jo, he hasn't had any luck.

Sure JO plays with a smile on his face, will that win games? Jo seems a likeable player, I dont think he will get picked ahead of Saha or a fit Yak.I think which ever team had taken him away from his hell at Man City would have had his love and respect.I hope he does make it for Everton, but he will cost us plenty....Vaughan if he makes it will have cost us nothing.

I was just trying to describe the mans character, I know smiles don't win matches

And you're completely right about Vaughan, as I said I wish him all the best. Price tags(or lack there of) don't lie.

Reminds me of the playground jibes one would hear, like 'My dad bigger than your dad'!

Regardless of the size of your dad!....Vaughan just happened to turn a game around, as it had been brought into question as to his ability to do so!..Just thought I'd remind people.

Not much difference in age between the two players, but miles in terms of luck with injuries.If Jo can improve and get a bit tougher, then sure he could end up a really good player..... BUT wouldn't Mark Hughes enjoy setting the price tag for our new hero!

Regardless of the size of your dad!....Vaughan just happened to turn a game around, as it had been brought into question as to his ability to do so!..Just thought I'd remind people.

Not much difference in age between the two players, but miles in terms of luck with injuries.If Jo can improve and get a bit tougher, then sure he could end up a really good player..... BUT wouldn't Mark Hughes enjoy setting the price tag for our new hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mb5QgXEGUg