IGNORED

Kirkby Rejected

Louis

http://www.liverpool...00252-25254989/

THE Government has rejected the plan to create a new Everton stadium as part of a Tesco development in Kirkby.

Communities secretary John Denham decided that the projects would breach shopping policy to discourage major supermarket chains sucking business away from town and city centres.

But he was only convinced of that today, two days before he was legally obliged to make up his mind.

A major factor behind his alleged dithering was the potential to regenerate Kirkby, provide the football club with a brand spanking new stadium, pour over £400 million into the region, and create up to 7,000 short-term, long-term and supply jobs.

The decision, which will be spelt out later tomorrow took regional MPs and ministers by surprise. Most had assumed that the jobs and investment potential would, when it came to the crunch, outweigh shopping policy.

Knowsley North and Sefton East MP George Howarth said: "I deeply regret this decision in a time of significant economic challenge to the whole of Merseyside during a recession."

I am sure our board will not have been sat on their hands in the time that this has been in deliberation, they will have a plan B,C probably D :lol: . Anyhow, watching the game, just seen number 3 go in from a team who you would back for relegation.

Said at start of season we were 3 injuries away from disaster, not that I thought it would happen, it did. At this level you have contingency, seems we don't do that.

I am sure our board will not have been sat on their hands in the time that this has been in deliberation, they will have a plan B,C probably D :lol: . Anyhow, watching the game, just seen number 3 go in from a team who you would back for relegation.

Said at start of season we were 3 injuries away from disaster, not that I thought it would happen, it did. At this level you have contingency, seems we don't do that.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.... at the ESCLA Q&A after the West Ham game Elstone couldn't be clearer that at the time they had no other plans!

But we havent had 3 injuries its been in double figures and just about any team in the world would struggle with that amount of injuries so your " I told you so " doesnt really apply

My first thought is that I am happy with the decision but then the reality sinks in that is 'where do we go now?'. Kirkby would have been a disaster for us but then again so has wasting 4+ years and millions of pounds and still not getting anywhere. The fanbase is split, the team is struggling and we dont have a pot to piss in. We are already way behind our main competitors on and off the pitch and if the club really dont have an alternative plans then it could be a while before we start moving forward.

Kirkby wasn't the right decision but neither was doing nothing.

Lets hope something positive comes from this and that somehow the players can pick themselves up from this embarrassing defeat to give us something to cheer in the derby.

COYB!

Edited by Bailey

But we havent had 3 injuries its been in double figures and just about any team in the world would struggle with that amount of injuries so your " I told you so " doesnt really apply

Read again. Maybe if you weren't so quick to type and point score. I said at the "start of the season".

Start of the season - we were already short of Arteta, Jags, Victor, Vaughan, Yak, add on to that when season commenced Neville, Pienaar, Osman (that's 3)= disaster.

I told you so may well apply, but it's not what I want - it's just that it doesn't take a genius to work out.

My first thought is that I am happy with the decision but then the reality sinks in that is 'where do we go now?'. Kirkby would have been a disaster for us but then again so has wasting 4+ years and millions of pounds and still not getting anywhere. The fanbase is split, the team is struggling and we dont have a pot to piss in. We are already way behind our main competitors on and off the pitch and if the club really dont have an alternative plans then it could be a while before we start moving forward.

Kirkby wasn't the right decision but neither was doing nothing.

Lets hope something positive comes from this and that somehow the players can pick themselves up from this embarrassing defeat to give us something to cheer in the derby.

COYB!

If you were 90% certain that an outcome you were vying for was going to be favourable, you would cover for the 10% uncertainty just in case. surely the Kirby decision was seen as 50/50 - it is yet another indication that those running this club have no idea.

Would any other top flight team in serious need of relocation/developmnent put all their eggs in one unstable basket? Nope, plan B would be ready to roll. Wasn't it said there is no plan B?

Would any other top flight team in serious need of relocation/developmnent put all their eggs in one unstable basket? Nope, plan B would be ready to roll. Wasn't it said there is no plan B?

damn good point, i hope they havent fucked themselves up even more.

i just live in hope that now Wyness' crap idea is out of the window, Elstone pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

I've backed him all along, i hope he comes through!

at least something came good from today anyway!

Maybe Elstone can stop being Kenwright's puppet and be his own man on this issue now it's been rejected.

This has cheered me up after last night.

Not cheered me up at all. Feels a bit like being at a funeral for a relative I didn't particularly like....not overly upset but certainly not dancing in the street.

Glad to see KEIOC staying dignified, and respect to them for all the work they've done.

Elstone this morning...

“We will now regroup and carefully consider the options which are open to us. I feel I must stress that we do remain totally committed to finding a new home for our football club. The hunt for that new home will now intensify.“

Awful defeat last night, but this decision has made me feel slightly better, i never wanted us to go there at all, inface i was 100% against the idea. However now thinking about it, this is Everton were talking about and i dont think we had another idea well constructed to take over if Kirkby fell through. So now im slightly worried as to what there next step would be and also how long this next step will take to come to fruition.

I'm more embarrased than relieved. I didn't want kirby. I want a new stadium but all the reasons against kirby i agreed with. Why is it that despite very strong opposition from a large percent of fans did the club carry on regardless with this venture? It was hardly unanimous, even if the vote was legit. After the kings dock potential and failure were we to be pleased about being club that pioneered state of the art stadiums back in the day having to go cap in hand for a mediocre subsidised new home at the cost of our heritage? That's one argument that can be countered depending on your view. My point is that i am embarrased by our situation, pride in how we go about doing things has fallen, why? Because the amount of credible reasons for not pursuing this were ignored and now we have had a big fat public no given to us. Plus it has caused mass disagreement between fans. If it was right like kings dock, there would have been unity.

I'm more embarrased than relieved. I didn't want kirby. I want a new stadium but all the reasons against kirby i agreed with. Why is it that despite very strong opposition from a large percent of fans did the club carry on regardless with this venture? It was hardly unanimous, even if the vote was legit. After the kings dock potential and failure were we to be pleased about being club that pioneered state of the art stadiums back in the day having to go cap in hand for a mediocre subsidised new home at the cost of our heritage? That's one argument that can be countered depending on your view. My point is that i am embarrased by our situation, pride in how we go about doing things has fallen, why? Because the amount of credible reasons for not pursuing this were ignored and now we have had a big fat public no given to us. Plus it has caused mass disagreement between fans. If it was right like kings dock, there would have been unity.

Prolem now is that the club will probably have to go it alone and that may mean we will have to settle for the cheapest possible stadium imagineable.

People jumped on the band wagon over the "mid range stadium" well now we will have to make do with the Aldi Special

It seems now that the clubs plan B might be a shared stadium, or should I say that it is 'now an option'.

Bit pointless it being our plan B if it's not Liverpool's.....and they've consistantly dismissed the idea. And (as someone said) neither team would appear to be in a position to fund it currently :( .

Elstone this morning...

We will now regroup and carefully consider the options which are open to us. I feel I must stress that we do remain totally committed to finding a new home for our football club. The hunt for that new home will now intensify.

This last bit has me worried. Totally committed to finding a new home for the club sounds ominous in the way it is phrased. No indication of WHERE they are looking.

Groundshare with another team building a new stadium?

OMG we are moving to White Hart Lane!!!!! :D

Here is a link you may like to browse through:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23184426/09-11-25-IR-Everton-FC-and-Tesco-1203375

Edited by Rubecula

I cant see us moving anywhere now

The Shite arent likely to want to share with us and even if they did neither team can afford it

We cant afford to go it alone so I think the most likely outcome is we will get new blue gravel around the running track and maybe a lick of paint and hopefully we wont slip any further down the league than we already are

I really did enjoy those Wimbledon & Coventry games but I didnt really fancy doing it all again!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-new-stadium//2009/11/27/everton-fc-ready-for-talks-on-shared-stadium-but-liverpool-fc-set-to-go-it-alone-100252-25264688/2/

Warren Bradley speaking about redevelopment of Goodison:

'He said the possible need to relocate the nearby Gwladys Street Primary school, homes in Muriel Street and Diana Street, and Walton Motors to allow for the redevelopment of Goodison was “not a massive hurdle”.'

I always thought it was the council's opposition that made moving the school unfeasible? After all this, could we end up knocking down Goodison and rebuilding on the same site afterall?

The redevelopement of Goodison is a strong possibility now I think. But if it were to happen, where would we play during the rebuild? There are two obvious choices. Goodison and build around the playing or Anfield, and ground share on a temporary basis.

I cant think of anything else we could do to be honest.

The redevelopement of Goodison is a strong possibility now I think. But if it were to happen, where would we play during the rebuild? There are two obvious choices. Goodison and build around the playing or Anfield, and ground share on a temporary basis.

I cant think of anything else we could do to be honest.

I read an article not so long ago (I can't remember where exactly, if it was here or on some other site/forum), that set out how wee would go about rebuilding Goodison Park, stand-by-stand over about two years. The plan actually looked quite feasible and 'attractive', lets say.

However, I was thinking about the Anfield options recently, and I'm sure that would be a much better solution. We wouldn't lose as much money in terms of gate receipts, and I presume the stadium could be rebuilt all in one go within a season (inc. two summers' off seasons).

However, the powers that be at Everton have been hinting that it's all going to be about affordability. What worries me is, if we can hardly get the money together each year to but one decent player, how are we going to afford the (eg.) £400 million it's gonna take to build a new stadium. To be honest, it's all well and good arguing about rebuilding on Goodison, a ground share with LFC, or some other location, but I think the more pressing fact is how are we going to raise the funds to actually do it. My fear is that we'll need to find partners (like Tesco in the DK case) that will end up dictating the terms of any move, to the detriment of the club, its traditions, its history, and it future.

I really cant see us moving anywhere now for the simple fact that we cant afford to

The only option I can see is to redevelop Goodison one stand at a time and suffer the consequences of the reduced revenue until its completed

It would probably mean having to sell the likes of Rodders Piennar & Arteta to pay for it and then just hoping we can stay in the Prem until we are in a position to compete again

Unless of cause they can come up with another partner to help subsidise it and I really cant see Liverpool City Council doing us any favours over the land

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic