Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Cricket Thread

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

Relying on the brainless Ali not to be brainless is never a good place to be. 

Bowled well today to be fair but his batting has been very poor recently.

Wonder if it's ever happened before that a team has had two centurions and still lost a World Cup match, or even any 50 over international? Ah well at least our run rate didn't suffer too much and we've got the one of the inevitable stinkers out of the way.

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Two incredible games today, both low scoring but exciting as f'ck. Feel for Brathwaite, Cottrell & Nabi in particular, might've been two big upsets.

And would've given us the chance to finish in the top 2 again. There's every chance we'll not win another game in the group stages.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And would've given us the chance to finish in the top 2 again. There's every chance we'll not win another game in the group stages.

I think we'll win one or two, we're going to have to beat two of them anyway if we make the semis and want to win it. Personally I don't think there's a fag paper between us, India and Oz each playing at their best and NZ are by no means out of it either; be very surprised and disappointed if that isn't the final four, and then I think it'll be irrelevant if you finish top two or 3rd/4th.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think we'll win one or two, we're going to have to beat two of them anyway if we make the semis and want to win it. Personally I don't think there's a fag paper between us, India and Oz each playing at their best and NZ are by no means out of it either; be very surprised and disappointed if that isn't the final four, and then I think it'll be irrelevant if you finish top two or 3rd/4th.

I think one will do it but for us to go into the knockout stages full of confidence I’d want us two win two out of the last three. Tough ask though. Looking forward to Tuesday and giving the Aussies some serious stick!

11 hours ago, barryj said:

I think one will do it but for us to go into the knockout stages full of confidence I’d want us two win two out of the last three. Tough ask though. Looking forward to Tuesday and giving the Aussies some serious stick!

Roy still not going to be fit though:(.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Roy still not going to be fit though:(.

Big handicap having Vince play. He’s terrible. 

I cant work out why he’s had so many opportunities to prove he’s not international standard. It was the same with Bopara. 

On 24/06/2019 at 12:18, Romey 1878 said:

Big handicap having Vince play. He’s terrible. 

I cant work out why he’s had so many opportunities to prove he’s not international standard. It was the same with Bopara. 

Just lost his wicket again. With Root just gone this is an almost impossible task now. 

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Just lost his wicket again. With Root just gone this is an almost impossible task now. 

When he plays you may as well start 1 down. Decent County player but he’s just not international standard. Hales should be ashamed of himself. 

58 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

When he plays you may as well start 1 down. Decent County player but he’s just not international standard. Hales should be ashamed of himself. 

I'd put Root in to open (as he's pretty much doing anyway with Vince there) and bring in Curren, decent bowler who bats well also.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd put Root in to open (as he's pretty much doing anyway with Vince there) and bring in Curren, decent bowler who bats well also.

Agree with this.  Root has the discipline in his batting to be able to open. Curran has just returned from injury?  Needs a few county games.

30 minutes ago, johnh said:

Agree with this.  Root has the discipline in his batting to be able to open. Curran has just returned from injury?  Needs a few county games.

Not that I'm aware of.

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not that I'm aware of.

Report in today's paper on the Surrey game.  ' England all-rounder jSam Curran claimed three wickets on his return from injury'

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Don’t know about Curran coming in, I imagine Plunkett would just slot back in, but I’d definitely move Root up to open and get shut of Vince. 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Tom is the Curran at the World Cup. 

What he said.

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t know about Curran coming in, I imagine Plunkett would just slot back in, but I’d definitely move Root up to open and get shut of Vince. 

Curran, albeit in a much shorter career averages 44.5 with the bat and just short of 30 with the ball; Plunkett 20.6 bat and exactly 30 bowling. Economy rates 6.33/5.87 so nothing between them with the ball so I'd take Curran to deepen the batting.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

What he said.

Curran, albeit in a much shorter career averages 44.5 with the bat and just short of 30 with the ball; Plunkett 20.6 bat and exactly 30 bowling. Economy rates 6.33/5.87 so nothing between them with the ball so I'd take Curran to deepen the batting.

So would I but Plunkett is probably who Morgan and Bayliss would want to come in. 

I’d be looking to get Ali out too. He just pisses me off with his stupid shots when we need him to stick around and give us stability. 

12 hours ago, barryj said:

Looks like we will need to win the next two games. 

The fact we've got a much better run-rate than those chasing might just save us; that or ten days of rain:unsure:.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

The fact we've got a much better run-rate than those chasing might just save us; that or ten days of rain:unsure:.

We as a country in almost every sporting arena can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! 

6 minutes ago, barryj said:

We as a country in almost every sporting arena can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory! 

I agree we are very talented in this regard, we should be very proud!

We’ve set the target at 337 surly that’s enough, just need the bowlers to come out believing it can be caught, if they come out thinking the jobs already done could be dangerous. 

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Yeah but 7.3 runs per over for the first pair off 22 overs and 6.3 for the remainder, should have got more.

Agreed we should have it the 370s but I’ll happily take the 337 and hand it to the bowlers with a don’t mess it up. 

Or the fielders. 

India didn't seem interested in that once Pandya had gone, didn't get their first six until the 50th over either; think they'd quite like to see Pakistan out.

I was out all day with the children at Alton Towers and somehow managed to avoid the score until I watched the highlights. I thought Roots dropped catch could have cost us and we got lucky with a couple early on with the bat. However having Roy opening adds far more positivity to the batting lineup. It’s almost knockout tournament from now on with us likely needing to beat NZ. 

Done and done, Taylor out. I don't think NZ will even try to win this now because if they attack and get bowled out cheaply they'll be vulnerable to Pakistan having a big win in their last game; if they've got any sense they'll just stick around and grind out a half decent total to protect their run rate.