IGNORED

Sixth good enough for Europe?

Guest rusty747

Guest rusty747

If Man C win the FA Cup who gets the Europe Cup place? Man C will qualify for the Champions league so who gets Europa - us or Wigan?

They always seem to sneak in one way or another. It's a joke that they are at the top of the fair-play league when Suarez is banned for 10 games for biting someone.

That table was from about four weeks ago so (possibly) the Suarez situation might impact when it's updated.

It should. I'm not just saying it because I'm an Evertonian but you can't have a team being rewarded for good behaviour when they cause a media shitstorm because one of their players can't restrain himself for 90 minutes.

Still think the incident was blown out of all proportion. It was hardly the worst incident of questionable behavior that ever occured in the history of the game, and can't abide Liverpool or the rodent-esque Suarez, but do think the punishment handed out was too severe. Some players cause a fucking sensation or uproar in the news simply because of the name involved, or even club with it. It was newsworthy for a short time, but all water under the bridge now and moving on here, except of course they will miss his involvement tomorrow. Just as well, as I wouldn't want that individual getting a goal against us again. But still an incident, that caused more of a furore than it should have.

As mentioned fifth place seems the only way in this season, regardless of who other does what.

Still think the incident was blown out of all proportion. It was hardly the worst incident of questionable behavior that ever occured in the history of the game, and can't abide Liverpool or the rodent-esque Suarez, but do think the punishment handed out was too severe.

Because biting someone is just a laugh isn't it. I wouldn't have suspended him at all.

But still an incident, that caused more of a furore than it should have.

It caused a furore because it was virtually unique; had the level of comment and reporting that it deserved.

(No need for a comma in that sentence by the way)

Unique in that it wasn't an everyday occurence in British soccer but these types of incidents occur more frequently in some overseas leagues. Grammatical errors and pedants can be attributed to fatigue. Been on the go since first thing. Say again, OK, it wasn't something we need to see in the game here, but if it had been perpetrated (for example) by a Smith or Jones from Sunderland or another less recognized side, it wouldn't have got the level of outburst it indeed received. That's all I have to say on the incident for today.

Un-acceptable behaviour always gets put into the press. How many times have you seen on the BBC 'WATCH: Lower league player from Greece with a horrific tackle'. The media shitstorm was because it was Suarez (but that's because he's been a vile individual in the past) but the fact he was in the press itself wasn't because it was him.

Any bit of mental play gets put into the newspaper. Just look at McManaman, Shawcross & Taylor for examples.

That table was from about four weeks ago so (possibly) the Suarez situation might impact when it's updated.

Does it take into account retroactive punishments? I thought that its based on cards, right?

• 2 weeks later...

With Chelsea winning - is 6th good enough? I still can't get my head around it.

I dont know, but then we have to lose to Chelsea, so that they gain the 3rd place to automatically qualify for the group stage in CL...

Its all garbage these days. It used to be whoever won it got a place, then if they qualified through the league positions, the league got an extra spot.

It changes to suit the Italians usually...when their teams stop winning in Europe, they kick n scream to make sure they still get full benefit. Politics n all that!!

Have you seen the rules of the fair play league?

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/fair-play-calculation.html

How Liverpool are above us, I don't know. One, most of their players like to dive, two, their players always goes up to the referee to argue. Mostly Gerrard tbh.

I'm sorry but anyone with Gerrard and Suarez in their team would no way be 3rd in the league. That isn't me being bias because I am an Everton fan either.

It's a real shame how its all changed. Gone are the good old days of finishing where we are and almost being guaranteed European football sad.png

It hasn't changed....been this way as long as I can remember. For sixth to qualify you need a top team to win the league cup or the Fa Cup final to be between two top teams, if both occur seventh gets a place. Same as it ever was, we just got unlucky this year.