IGNORED

Will George Green play first team this year? Is he as good as I have heard?

Riscon

Wilfy I don't do Facebook but Green was excellent. Clearly the best player on either side and miles sharper than our lot. Had pace, skill, drive and desire. A great goal topped what was a great performance. He is small, but stood up to an early clattering from a pretty physical team and kept going for 90 minutes.

If I was pressed to find a few negatives: he over hit a number of dead balls, but that seems to be the modern way - valuing pace on delivery over accuracy; at times he was too cute and didn't do the simple thing, experience and perhaps over confidence in his abilities responsible and maybe a lack of understanding of the rest of the team; he wanted the ball all the time and could perhaps rub teammates up the wrong way by taking over if this continued - which won't be much of an issue for us clearly. These are nitpicking though. I can't recall a more impressive debut performance. If he can deliver that performance consistently and just get a bit more polish then he has every chance of being a very good player for you.

Cut and paste this if you want. Frankly he's given me a bit of hope.

From a Tranmere forum

I think the loan market at a lower level is a brilliant way of getting players to respond:-

• It reminds them that they are training in top class facilities with their contracted club
  • It puts them among players who will physically try and dominate
  • They will hear the crowds anger/joy at a very personal and close up level
  • If they think they "have made it" they will be among team mates who will cut them down
  • It makes them desperate to succeed at a higher level

Basically it is like someone who has a Maths PHD being told to go and do a few months work in a factory. They will come out of there with a respect for those guys who work hard 40 hours a week, they will understand the need for team work and to appreciate the small things more. In short they should go back to their comfy corporate office with an appreciation for what they have and to cherish it.

If I am honest and I am being a little picky here, Greens interview wasn't the most humble I have come across. I like confidence, I'm not sure if he was coming across like he's the man to single handedly pull Tranmere away from relegation. "Go and do your magic" - Adams may have said that but.... meh maybe i'm being picky.

I may try and get to watch the Rovers on the Monday the 6th April - haven't seen them in years and to be honest its literally a 10 minute drive away. I would be going 90% to watch Green if I'm honest, 10% to see them try and survive relegation.

Rovers being relegated would be bad for Everton - their academy does get some of the better players from the Wirral and keeps them ticking along till we have the opportunity to take a look at them. I'm sure we will be getting first dibs at any top talent based on our recent loans with them,

Loaning has its good and bad points. The bad is that a player might train with lesser players for up to an entire season with coaches less able than at the Premier level.

Hmm, yeah, it will also teach them the percentage pass. As in - am I trying to be too cute? and what is the risk if the opponent intercepts or my team mate doesn't read the pass?

This is something that Barkley needs - but then again he has become too sterile.

Tricky one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...