IGNORED

A rookie Evertonian in need of help.

Greetings from the U.S.,

Being a huge sports fans in the states, I understand the general dislike for fair-weather, bandwagon fans. I have been a footy fan my whole life, unfortunately the MLS has not provided a quality product, so my excitement for the sport has only been real when the U.S. is playing for the World Cup..

Footy is an overwhelming sport for Americans because there is countless amounts of teams/players, and we have the tendency to stay loyal to only one, there isn't much coverage for Euro-Football here, so a lot of us just tend to settle for the MLS. While I am still a passionate Houston Dynamo fan, as awful as they are, I decided I needed a real team to root for.

I choose Everton for two big reasons..

The obvious: Tim Howard, the man is a hero here in the states and has become a house hold, and I enjoyed reading through the forum and seeing y'alls love for him, and how you are excited about Americans becoming Everton fans.

However that's not the main reason, I can relate to Everton fans, as most Houston, Texas sports teams aren't big budget teams who signs whoever, whenever. But they are teams with a history of being an underdog and sometimes shocking the world. I love the history and under dog culture.. Most Americans have become Man-U, Man-City, or Chelsea fans as soccer has become more popular here, I want to devote myself to Everton!

I felt I needed to explain all that to justify my next request;

I would love just the basic info so I can be in the know as the season is starting.. Popular opinions (whether good or bad) on players, coaches, staff.. Expectations for the season.. Any great prospects in the youth squad, etc..

I know none of you owe me anything, but I would greatly appreciate it! Excited to be on Toffee Talk, and excited for the season..

Thanks in advanced

Another American! Welcome!

As I have said before, I think this forum is generally very welcoming to people new to Everton. Never feel afraid to ask questions. Everton fans, more than most supporters, are incredibly proud of their history. Think of New York Yankee fans but without the arrogance or superiority complex.

I'll leave others to go on about the history, but here's a famous quote from Alan Ball, who was a midfielder for Everton in the 60s.

"Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same."

Apackard1 --

I'm American, too, following Everton for nearly 20 years, but because so little access to the EPL on US tv, have only begun to see lots of Everton games in last year or so. If you have NBC Sports Network, they carry all EPL games -- either on regular broadcast, or on Live Extra. You should be able to see plenty of Everton games!

As to your important question re players, coaches, expectations, I'll chime in here, after acknowledging that I know relatively little, compared with the many longstanding Everton fans on this board. They'll feel free to correct my faulty impressions. Anyhow, I won't begin every sentence with, IMO. Rather, everything that follows is IMO.

Everton are blessed with one of the most highly respected managers in all of football, Roberto Martinez. You will surely have heard his expert commentary for ESPN from Brazil. He's brilliant, researches players in many leagues, can explain systems, formations, intricacies far better than most. Highly respected as an analyst, thinker, manager. A sweet person, as well, treats people and players with great respect. Always optimistic -- irritatingly so, occasionally -- but that's who he is. Well connected across several leagues, perhaps especially La Liga, and more especially, at least recently, to FC Barcelona. Roberto is himself Catalan.

Players, where to begin? You know Tim Howard well; he's presumably here as starter for another 2-4 years. Back line very solid, with near-world-class LB, Leighton Baines [superb at set pieces, great delivery for headers or into the top corner of the net on his own from the right distance], near-world-class RB, Seamus Coleman, solid center-halves, Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin. Many think young John Stones will replace Jagielka soon as starter. Backup to Baines at LB may be a contest between two young players, Luke Garbutt, and Costa Rican Bryan Oviedo, the latter of whom may see time on the pitch at LM, too.

The holding midfielders are solid, with smart veteran Gareth Barry and rising star, runs everywhere James McCarthy, backed by Darron Gibson, excellent passer. Everton hope to sign young Bosnian mid, Muhamed Besic, soon.

Wing mids look solid to me, perhaps a bit less so to others. LM is Steven Pienaar, veteran, clever. Question is his stamina, and injuries. RM is Kevin Mirallas, whom you will have seen playing for Belgium v. US. Fast, good dribbler, may play striker on occasion. Everton need goals from him! Backup, right now, for both wing mids is Aiden McGeady. Tricky dribbler, very promising, will play lots this season. Lots.

Problem area is forwards. Everton trying to sign Romalu Lukaku, another young Belgian you will have seen, who played for Everton last season on loan from Chelsea. Need to sign him, as Everton's only two strikers right now are Arouna Kone, injured all last season, and Steven Naismith, good, clever, but not dominant, will not score loads of goals.

Everton, the club, are different from many in EPL, which differences I will let others here explain, because they understand the club's history so much better than I. But it is different, and better, and more interesting.

Great post.

Welcome to the forum, rookie.

There's a big omission in my post #6 above. I neglected to mention an emerging Everton star, attacking midfielder Ross Barkley. He runs at people fiercely, with good dribbling skills, power, and great balance. Sometimes tries to do too much, loses possession, but he strikes fear into opposing center-halves, as he's got a rocket shot from distance. Backed up by veteran Everton loyalist, Leon Osman, clever passer, best years just behind him, still will play some at several midfield positions.

I also didn't comment on your question re season expectations. Pretty sure there's a separate thread on that very subject. Right now it's a dicey question, as Everton have yet to secure the several new, and absolutely needed, players that Roberto seeks. Absent any additional signings -- somewhere between a disappointment and a catastrophe -- the consensus here might be 8th or 9th in the table. But most expect another couple of signings; depending on said signings and their quality, the predictions here would range from 4th (and UEFA Champions League in Fall 2015) to 7th (behind Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, and Tottenham).

Great hopes for this Fall (2014) and the UEFA Europa League, where Everton are automatically in the Group Stage, beginning play in September. But absent additional signings, the fear is squad exhaustion, as Europa League play is always on Thursday nights, and long trips especially to eastern Europe make for a difficult match back in England on Sunday.

We really want to nick into the top 4 in the table this season, where some big money awaits in the Champions League in Fall 2015 (and we hope into Spring 2016). As very much a financial have-not, Everton are right now -- this season -- just on the cusp of bigger things. But several things -- signings of proven or promising players, continuing squad unity and special spirit, and especially a relatively injury-free season -- must break good, not bad.

We're excited, and nervous.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

What about the Dolphins though?

I suspect that this is the gentlest of jibes at me, for my, um, lengthy disquisitions in posts above. If so, I accept the good humor at my expense, as (1) it's humorous, and (2) I deserve it. So I'm laughing with you and at me.

Still, I got a lot more to say about our lads. But I will refrain just now, expecting some constructive criticism of my analysis. Maybe after the Tranmere match.......

I suspect that this is the gentlest of jibes at me, for my, um, lengthy disquisitions in posts above. If so, I accept the good humor at my expense, as (1) it's humorous, and (2) I deserve it. So I'm laughing with you and at me.

Still, I got a lot more to say about our lads. But I will refrain just now, expecting some constructive criticism of my analysis. Maybe after the Tranmere match.......

Noooo!! It wasn't a jibe at you, your post was fantastic and I honestly mean that it was just scouse humour it's how we are and it was not meant as derogatory or to make you look silly so please believe me when I say that, it's just me being a divi, like I said it's what we do in Liverpool.

I do genuinely follow the Dolphins though

Welcome from Atlanta.

Re underdog status, the British press just assume that the Big Six financially will always claim the top six spots in the table. These six are Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool (three teams from the north) and Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs), all London teams. Everton upset the applecart last season by beating both Manchester United and Spurs. The national press, though, never seem to learn their lesson, and few seem to believe that Everton will make it above seventh this season.

While much stayed the same last season (Martinez was careful not to stray too radically from the approach of his predecessor, David Moyes), there were some important changes, too. One of the biggest is the emergence of some younger players, especially Ross Barkley and John Stones. Unlike David Moyes, Roberto Martinez allows young players to sometimes fail because that, in the long-term, is the best way to get them to succeed. It's clear to me that Martinez is building for the future, not only making short-term progress but also establishing a young core of players (Barkley, Stones, McCarthy, Coleman, Oviedo, and maybe Lukaku) that could build a lasting legacy. With new links to Barcelona (and the opportunnity to loan players from there), Everton is moving away from the ordinary to the daring, from the cautious to the bold. One thing to note is Martinez' motto: sin meido - without fear.

From a fellow American, welcome! I too live in miserable heat and humidity (Florida). Been a supporter for 8 years now...no looking back. Once a toffee, always a toffee. All of the EPL games are on NBC Sports here in the US, and if the Everton game isn't televised, you can watch it live streaming on NBCsports.com if you have the channel with your cable company!

If you can put your hands on them, here are a few good resources about recent history:

Chapter 3 of the book "The Nowhere Men" about soccer scouts. It deals with David Moyes and his obsession with getting good data and scouting advice. Moyes and his scouts signed some really key but underlooked (in my view) players (e.g., Oviedo). [Note, in my opinion the book is poorly written but the insights into the game, particularly if you appreciate old-school baseball scouts, is really intersting.]

Pages 180-186 (and elsewhere) of "The Numbers Game" deals with Roberto Martinez's tactical/philosophical approach to the game. [Note: I love this book. Really well-written and the data and insights are fodder for thought...if you like statistics/data and soccer, this is a great book].

Long-term history, check out "Everton: The School of Science." It can be read piece-meal and the latter chapters are really relevant for understanding the current climate of who has played for Everton and the recent history of fan's expectations. The early history is terrific too.

The book "Everton Miscellany" should be on the back of your toilet. Fun stuff.

Edited by verreauxi