IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

My dad passed away yesterday. It was not unexpected since he'd been ill for some time. Am now looking for cheap airfares to fly back to Britain for the funeral. Given the schools in Britain are on holiday, fares are currently quite high. I'm looking right now at two of the discount airlines: WOW and Norwegian. Has anyone flown on either of these?

My dad passed away yesterday. It was not unexpected since he'd been ill for some time. Am now looking for cheap airfares to fly back to Britain for the funeral. Given the schools in Britain are on holiday, fares are currently quite high. I'm looking right now at two of the discount airlines: WOW and Norwegian. Has anyone flown on either of these?

sorry for your loss steve.

No experience of the airlines Steve but great sympathy. My dad died in 2003 and even though that was expected after a long illness it was still an absolutely devastating moment; I'd just get on whatever plane you can.

Sad to hear that, Steve, it can't be easy losing a parent no matter the circumstances.

I can't help with the airline question but hope you get it sorted.

I remember when I was looking at flights to the US last year the cheapest seemed to be Icelandair and Turkish Airlines, though they involved stop-overs in Reykjavik or Istanbul. Aer Lingus were also quite good with better flight times and shorter stops (specially flying UK to USA as you can go through US immigration in Dublin avoiding possible queues on arrival, but that's obviously not an issue for you).

Can anybody age this photo?

https://twitter.com/davidgcant/status/768807038587695104

It looks like a modern track?

They are all clipped on and appear to have harnesses underneath their outerwear. I'd say it was taken very recently. Hairstyles etc. look contemporary, and the little guy on the left end is wearing Richard Hammond style bootcut jeans.

They are all clipped on and appear to have harnesses underneath their outerwear. I'd say it was taken very recently. Hairstyles etc. look contemporary, and the little guy on the left end is wearing Richard Hammond style bootcut jeans.

Eagle eyes. Nice one.

Yeah it now looks like a reconstruction of this...everything from lads with (& without caps), what they're holding and the direction they're looking.

builders.jpg

Thanks chaps.

Eagle eyes. Nice one.

Yeah it now looks like a reconstruction of this...everything from lads with (& without caps), what they're holding and the direction they're looking.

builders.jpg

Thanks chaps.

Very famous pic that; incredible. Empire State Building construction if memory serves me right.

Chaos down here earlier, M5 was closed in both directions for two hours because a woman was threatening to jump off a bridge. I didn't have to use it but had to "cross" it four times for various reasons while it was happening, luckily knowing all the back roads I managed without too much bother; happily they talked the woman down in the end.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/m5-at-a-standstill-live-updates/story-29654546-detail/story.html

I know it sounds insane but just adding colour to these images makes them feel more 'real'.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/32-sad-tragic-but-fasinating-colourised-images-of-wwii.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com

Some brilliant photos in there.

The evening of the 5th of June 1944.11012356_698865140243281_718679262539588
Edited by Lowensda

.Had a brilliant day yesterday. Daughter returned home (permanently) after 7 years working abroad. 3 in Hong Kong, 4 in Singapore. She will be living in London so not far from us. It will be mega to just be able to say 'pop round on Sunday' :jump for joy:

Nice one John; my brother moved back recently after twenty odd years of globe trotting working for Airbus, had a few nice cheap holidays out of it over the years but it's good to have him an hour up the motorway. He's been my best mate forever as well as my big bro and I can honestly say we've not had a cross word in forty odd years (just don't ask me about my younger one :dry:).

A neighbour of mine runs a unicycle business. Through the years, we've often seen him and his sons out and about on them. They're very proficient.

I've often thought about stunts like this. We drive for hours staying within quite narrow lines on roads, traveling at great speed and navigating bends. Would we do the same if there was a thousand foot drop either side of the lane? If not, why not? It's all a matter of perception.

A neighbour of mine runs a unicycle business. Through the years, we've often seen him and his sons out and about on them. They're very proficient.

I've often thought about stunts like this. We drive for hours staying within quite narrow lines on roads, traveling at great speed and navigating bends. Would we do the same if there was a thousand foot drop either side of the lane? If not, why not? It's all a matter of perception.

Really interesting point as someone terrified of heights. I don't know the answer, I can't even walk over motorway bridges (unless they're very low).

No logic to phobias. I was trying to address it a few years back via gradual exposure but had to stop. Driving in mountains is a nightmare when I'm abroad, I need blinkers, but as I don't have any I just have to keep telling myself to watch the road ahead and ignore the precipitous drop to my right/left. Sadly my wife is even worse than me so her in the passenger seat cowering in fear doesn't help a great deal :(.