IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, MikeO said:

But if you got an email from your employer why wouldn't you open it and respond?

Because scam emails can look exactly like your employers emails. I've been trained and I'm ultra paranoid about them, but I still fell for one from the Post Office. It was pristine, even the scam links that are hidden showed as "real" post office links. Add into it a bonus that everyone will want to read about and you've got everyone clicking. 

It's an excellent exercise from the company security point of view. Its just cold blooded, just like real scam mails. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because scam emails can look exactly like your employers emails. I've been trained and I'm ultra paranoid about them, but I still fell for one from the Post Office. It was pristine, even the scam links that are hidden showed as "real" post office links. Add into it a bonus that everyone will want to read about and you've got everyone clicking. 

It's an excellent exercise from the company security point of view. Its just cold blooded, just like real scam mails. 

Well I've not been trained and have never fallen for one, maybe you need better training:otvwhistle: (I'm available).

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

To be fair, that's an excellent security test. Heartless but a perfect example for the exercise. 

Agreed, I work in IT and we get tests like this all the time.  It’s a great example but these emails are exactly the type that scammers use.  People click give away their credentials and password and bam the company is held hostage for 10s-100s of thousands of dollars.  

22 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Agreed, I work in IT and we get tests like this all the time.  It’s a great example but these emails are exactly the type that scammers use.  People click give away their credentials and password and bam the company is held hostage for 10s-100s of thousands of dollars.  

There's nothing in that that says people are giving away credentials or passwords, am I missing something?

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

There's nothing in that that says people are giving away credentials or passwords, am I missing something?

thats the phish, it will have a simple hyperlink to LOG IN where they think they need to, to receive said item.  sending a text only email doesn't allow someone to phish, you need to give up your info somehow.

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

thats the phish, it will have a simple hyperlink to LOG IN where they think they need to, to receive said item.  sending a text only email doesn't allow someone to phish, you need to give up your info somehow.

There's (again) absolutely nothing in the article to suggest that they gave up any info, just that they clicked the link. Very possible they got to the page where credentials were asked for and binned it, no?

Employers setting test-traps for their workers is just plain out of order, however you try to justify it. Send them an email explaining how they may be caught out instead.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So's leaving a £50 note on the floor with CCTV focused on it in the staff area of a bank. Not right.

Depends what your test is. Doesn't have to be ethical, just need the result when it comes to security and risk prevention. Sad but true. 

54 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"Make Orwell fiction again" under your avatar and it "still works?"

Banter, no intention (or chance) of us falling out but not getting that mate.

Like I said, I don't like it. Its underhand and immoral. But if my job was test employees ability to spot a scam mail, I want to make it as hard for them as possible, because unfortunately that's the phishing world we live in. 

Not falling out as you say, just playing devil's advocate. As for the Orwell quote, we're already in a blend of 1984 and Animal Farm anyway 

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So in the last couple of hours you've gone from "excellent security test" to "underhand and immoral."

Case closed

What case? Not gone from or to anything. Stated both clearly (I thought) from the beginning and been consistent the whole time :lol: it is both an excellent security test and immoral 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

What case? Not gone from or to anything. Stated both clearly (I thought) from the beginning and been consistent the whole time :lol: it is both an excellent security test and immoral 

Fuck off, I have a 9.00am hospital appointment tomorrow so need to get to bed, you're being ageist.:shakingfist:

3 hours ago, Matt said:

St. Michael's Mount is a place of character and much history. Whoever takes this role will appreciate quickly that it's rather special.

PS - it REALLY grates to see the BBC use a URL address that includes -england-cornwall. How would our Celtic cousins respond to see -england-scotland or -england-wales?

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Demonstrating your Englishness. :)

As I've said before, my DNA is more Celt than English. I just find the ubiquitous quarries very ugly, they spoil it for me; that said there are some lovely spots, Tintagel is special (though due to my fear of heights a visit to the castle was never going to happen).

On 11/05/2021 at 22:59, Cornish Steve said:

St. Michael's Mount is a place of character and much history. Whoever takes this role will appreciate quickly that it's rather special.

PS - it REALLY grates to see the BBC use a URL address that includes -england-cornwall. How would our Celtic cousins respond to see -england-scotland or -england-wales?

It didn’t realise that some of the the most patriotic people from the county of Cornwall don’t even live in Cornwall, they choose to leave this part of England for a life elsewhere. Like the Irish you always seem to get the most patriotic Irish living abroad. I always find this scenario very confusing and there will be a multitude of reasons why people leave what they believe is the best place in the world to live, from wars famine poverty love and many more I’m sure. Now this is the bit that confuses me why don’t we see these people trying to get back to these great places of their heritage, I wish sometimes people would walk the walk instead of just talk the talk, by that I mean I have a couple of Irish brothers who work for me from Waterford, they have been in this country for the best part of 40 years, yet they still go on and on about how Irish they are and how great Ireland is, yet the ironic thing is they could go back to this greatest country in the world, there’s nothing to stop them they talk about it enough but they don’t. I would say to anyone who keeps banging on about where they come from if it’s safe to go back there then just do it, because if you carry on just talking about it you start to become very boring.