IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

12 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Seriously??? 

No, it's how the joke was worded.   Grandad was a very pleasant, quiet gentleman - and a blue. That was my Dad's Dad. Never knew my Mum's Dad as he died when she was 10. He was a foreman on the docks and died of cholera after drinking contaminated water on a ship they were unloading.

Got a good couple of days coming up this week, Tuesday an old mate from London is coming down on his Harley Davidson, and my brother is joining us for a night in my old local (not been there since my wife died because it was "our" local, so looking forward to facing that down). We all have rooms booked there for the night so it'll probably get a bit messy.

Then Wednesday doing a "road trip" on the Harley up to Cheddar Gorge, as I have pretty much zero social life I'm a bit excited:D

On 23/04/2022 at 05:26, johnh said:

No, it's how the joke was worded.   Grandad was a very pleasant, quiet gentleman - and a blue. That was my Dad's Dad. Never knew my Mum's Dad as he died when she was 10. He was a foreman on the docks and died of cholera after drinking contaminated water on a ship they were unloading.

John, we'll have to find a way to get together again. I shall be passing through Heathrow this coming week and again two weeks later. Do you still live in the same area?

lXpSrKV.jpg

17 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

John, we'll have to find a way to get together again. I shall be passing through Heathrow this coming week and again two weeks later. Do you still live in the same area?

lXpSrKV.jpg

Steve, nothing more I would like but sadly am moving house - tomorrow!  Will be a bit further away but the main problem is timing.  Don't think I will have time.  Please don't hesitate to email me if you are ever passing through.

15 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Nice to see two faces to names, great pic. 

Haf, sadly I don't look like that now! (2 years ago).  Lost 2 stone with illness and haven't had a hair cut for three months. Look like wild man from the east. Steve will be as fit as ever!

7 hours ago, johnh said:

Haf, sadly I don't look like that now! (2 years ago).  Lost 2 stone with illness and haven't had a hair cut for three months. Look like wild man from the east. Steve will be as fit as ever!

Keep pushing mate, the one positive over Steve that you have John is he won’t be needing a haircut 😂

Apologies Steve just trying to keep John’s spirits up 😉

Tangent here but really annoying lyric for me. Fleetwood Mac are rightly legends in both incarnations but, in Oh Diane..

"Love is like a grain of sand
Slowly slippin' through your hand."

How can a single grain of sand slowly slip through your hand? A handful of sand yes, but a grain is either held or dropped.

One of the blue pills please nursy:majoroverreactionalert:

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Her indoors is now on morphine (tablets not button) and we are having MacMillan nurses in. Still some cloudy skies ahead.'

Must be very hard for you both, morphine is sad but really good stuff at the same time, I've spent many contented days on a morphine cloud. Macmillan nurses are superb in my experience, she'll be well looked after; will be thinking of you John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

21 hours ago, MikeO said:

Cousin of mine just sent me this link.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/16-royal-institution-christmas-lecture-royal-institution-of-great-britain.html?product=canvas-print&fbclid=IwAR1hsppeJ_QqfYjsOz9_jQRJrODrTZ2ZM6GKP86nA8YHWpdvW7-a7ZrWB0I

Nothing overly earth shattering for most I'm sure, but the gent in the picture is my great grandfather:D

I am into family history so any photo is pure gold.

11 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I am into family history so any photo is pure gold.

I was aware of the photo but to see it on sale comercially was amazing; he died four years before I was born but his wife, my great grandma, lived to 95 so I was fifteen when she died and I knew her very well, she loved to tell stories about him.

I actually still have some of his notebooks, a lot of his stuff we donated to the Royal Institute, but I kept a few back for myself.

Family history is brilliant in the internet era, my family tree currently has 765 people in it!

Find nuggets such as an ancestor from Clackmannan (place crops up so many times) who emigrated to the US and died by being decapited in the shunting yard at Salt Lake City railway station....and you can read the newspaper report of it, amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 03:40, Cornish Steve said:

Well, that was a harrowing experience. Thankfully I'm OK, but, thinking back, it was actually quite shocking - maybe because I wasn't expecting it. Few things unnerve me, but being robbed at a Shell station just down the road from us, in broad daylight, did it. Embarrassing, I know, but I was shaking for quite a while. Other drivers who saw what happened, probably not wanting to get involved, just drove off - although some walked over and did their best to calm me down. Honestly, I didn't even think to call the police at the time - what's the point? - but one of the others thought to do so. Funnily enough, the officer lives in our neighborhood (a couple of them do, actually), and he was very patient with me. (Not the way I expected to get to know a neighbor better, that's for sure!) The cashier at the counter inside brought me some coffee. I don't usually drink the stuff, but it actually calmed me down a bit. Connor (I now know the police officer neighbor's name) asked me if I knew who'd done it...

"Yep. It was pump number 3."

Just cost me over £104 to fill up, around $129 to save our over-the-pond members the trouble of doing the conversion.

I need a lie down.

I'm very grateful our garage still hasn't looked at our car after it broke down nearly 3 weeks ago (in the middle lane of the motorway north of Oxford. Took 9 hours for the AA to get us home and 90 mins to get to us in the first place). Probably saved enough in fuel to pay the repairs and service :lol:

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm very grateful our garage still hasn't looked at our car after it broke down nearly 3 weeks ago (in the middle lane of the motorway north of Oxford. Took 9 hours for the AA to get us home and 90 mins to get to us in the first place). Probably saved enough in fuel to pay the repairs and service :lol:

Your not going to be far wrong mate Mandy filled her car up Tuesday £136.00, I filled mine up yesterday £112.00. Soon they will be doing fuel ⛽️ and energy mortgages on Go compare. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Your not going to be far wrong mate Mandy filled her car up Tuesday £136.00, I filled mine up yesterday £112.00. Soon they will be doing fuel ⛽️ and energy mortgages on Go compare. 

Picked sister up from the airport 2 weeks ago in the campervan, that was £120. Mental.

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, it might do since apparently Facebook opinion pieces seem to carry more weight than science over here...

Yup, there are no cases as yet, just traces of it in waste water...

"No cases of the disease or related paralysis have been reported, and the risk to the general public is considered low, but public health officials urged people to make sure that they and their families were up to date with polio vaccinations to reduce the risk of harm."

On 16/06/2022 at 19:02, Palfy said:

£434 to repair it a month later. That's probably 2 tanks saved, so half of it