IGNORED

2012 - Olympics

Hockey is still in (as has been since 1908) :huh: .

Seems a bit odd to me that squash isn't in it while badminton (and tennis, which shouldn't be) is.

Don't think there'll be anything new but I'd like to lose...

Beach Volleyball, rhythmic gymnastics and synchro swimming.

Also I think binge drinking should be included as a special one-off......we'd be almost as dominant at that as we are at cycling :lol: .

Hockey is still in (as has been since 1908) :huh: .

Seems a bit odd to me that squash isn't in it while badminton (and tennis, which shouldn't be) is.

Don't think there'll be anything new but I'd like to lose...

Beach Volleyball, rhythmic gymnastics and synchro swimming.

Also I think binge drinking should be included as a special one-off......we'd be almost as dominant at that as we are at cycling :lol: .

I didn't mean field hockey. i meant this:

Roller hockey (quad)

Main article: Roller hockey (Quad)

Roller hockey (quad) is the overarching name for a roller sport that has existed since long before inline skates were invented. Roller hockey has been played in sixty countries worldwide and so has many names worldwide. The sport is also known as quad hockey, hóquei em patins, international style ball hockey, rink hockey and hardball hockey. Roller Hockey was a demonstration roller sport at the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics.

As for tennis, i like to see it, but beeing in mid-season, it's kinda strange, tbh.

and i just thought of a new possibility. Bridge, or chess. Maybe it's time to see some brain games instrad of just physical things...

Right now they plan to drop baseball and softball and add women's boxing. There has been a push from some quarters to get cricket put on the docket for 2012, but we'll see. I do not and would not watch any of those sports at the Olympic level anyway, so it makes no difference to me.

Here's an interesting article that I found talking about Lacrosse, and how much more that would have to grow before it would qualify as an Olympic sport. http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/lax...olympics_1.html

Looking at the current requirements for eligibility to the Olympic program that he talks about also gives us some insight into what other sports might or might not have an Olympic future. "Sports, disciplines or events in which performance depends essentially on mechanical propulsion are not acceptable," for instance, pretty much guarantees we won't ever see water skiing made into an Olympic sport.

a british football team ffs. why on earth we dont have one i dont know, anyone know why?

and i'd like to see womens water polo with only white bikinis on. that will do.

tbh EL as soon as we have one in the Olympics they'll insist on one for the home nations for all international football, try telling each constituent FA and they flip as would the Welsh, Irish and certainly the Scots

a british football team ffs. why on earth we dont have one i dont know, anyone know why?

Because of the fear that if we set a precedent by having a GB team in the Olympics FIFA would take away our right to have separate teams (England, Wales, Scotland, NI) in the Worlds and Euros.

There will be a GB team in 2012 though, think we've had assurances from FIFA that it won't affect our status, SAF being touted as the coach.

What sporting event should be added for 2012 Summer Olympics? :blink:

Darts. I mean think of all the medals we would win with all the differant types of darts. Like Dave Mitchell said if we come up with fifty differant versions of the game we would be guaranteed fifty gold-medals. We need a sport other than sailing to be dominant at.

Can we not have more races? How about a mini-moto or 125cc motorbike race, I would like to see that included in the Olympics. We could have our home-grown riders up against the likes of Rossi and Pedrosa in there for a medal on the podium.

"Ping Pong is coming home" Boris Johnson what a tosser

That rant of his was bordering racist in parts. The tosser who hates sport gets a job like that, Londoners will have to live with it as will the rest of us but we could have an entire thread about the cock ups he'll cause before the games open, he opens his mouth without engaging a brain cell (if he's got one) every time

• 3 years later...

That was pretty shit really.

And Jonathan Edwards has a face that cries out to be punched!

The only good thing is that it didn't have Dame Kelly or Sir Steve in it....great athletes totally devoid of personality.

It felt like a college media class had won a competition to film it, weren't a fan myself, but thought a few on here might like it.

• 1 month later...

'Ping Pong is coming home', heh, that was the Mayor of London who said that?, I prefer the term Table Tennis even. What an ass..

These Olympic games have been built up for as long as I can remember, I think back in the 70s they were hoping to hold them in London in 1988 but it went to Seoul. Good for them eventually getting the decision but the damn event's only on for a few weeks, but the revenue it will bring to the capital will be immense. It may soon be over before it's even started but it should be a successful event. One can only hope it all passes off without incident. I read about some of the security measures implemented are a little questionable.

Just as side note, come Saturday Virgin media are opening 40 channels dedicated to Covering every event that's taking part at every hour of every day.

You wont miss any of your favourite sports, channel 550 to 590, 20 normal and 20 HD.

The next two or three weeks could be a hard time for anybody who doesn't like, or doesn't care even, for The Olympics. Even worse if you live in London. I think maybe I could include myself in that. I used to have an interest, last time would be about Los Angeles 1984 but now, it's something that just doesn't register. You're either for it or against it even, all said. I was hoping to have a respite from Sport this summer : - /

This upcoming event isn't for everyone.

The next two or three weeks could be a hard time for anybody who doesn't like, or doesn't care even, for The Olympics. Even worse if you live in London. I think maybe I could include myself in that. I used to have an interest, last time would be about Los Angeles 1984 but now, it's something that just doesn't register. You're either for it or against it even, all said. I was hoping to have a respite from Sport this summer : - /

This upcoming event isn't for everyone.

Just don't watch it then. You have free will.

..all the waitin around for the 100m and it's over in 10 seconds

Yeah...those bastards should run slower to give us more excitementshaking fist.png !

I love the Olympics....glued to it for the two weeks since Mexico '68smile.png .

Not every sport though: gymnastics, anything with a horse in it, diving, volleyball, judo, fencing, sync swimming, weightlifting and wrestling I can live without.

I don't what to say to that unsure.png

It's not so much the Olympics so much that irritates, OK, these guys are professional athletes and it's only a four yearly event like the World Cup, but the saturation coverage that goes with it, and I do fear some kind of terrorist attack but I do hope nothing comes to pass. Probably pass off without incident for sure, but you never can tell. Will be coverage complete for the next few weeks, there will be no getting away from it basically. I'd rather watch than participate though for sure.