IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

Yeah it is good fun to be honest. The mrs is a non gamer so it's ideal - got friends round for new year tonight so it's perfect for that. Plus any kids etc and you are looking at perfection.

Reason being is my shoulders arms and legs are sore from two 30 minute spells on it - and I'm no stranger to the gym or exercise.  It's that intuitive its untrue - the potential it has is incredible.  The future of being addicted to that type of gaming is ripped physiques as opposed to big guts.

There may be a novelty factor for many but I think developers may be throwing some time at this and it has longevity.  For £120 including 4 games it's a bargain - the games add up to £90 alone. From game that is.

Great stuff cheers for that mate

You can probably buy BioShock 2 on the cheap now too considering that its an old game. BioShock is a fanstastic snatch for £3 though as there is so much to do in such a well crafted world. Dead Island in my opinion was another solid zombie game which coupled with nice visuals and an eerie setting made it rather fun to play, it had a few flaws at the start as the missions seemed very repetative but once you actually break into the main story the game is worth your time of day.

The best out of the bunch by far though is LA Noire, I've finished that twice now including the four DLC cases that Rockstar have made available and it's one of the best Rockstar/Team Bondi games I've played with its replay value being second to none.

I think a lot depends on how old you are regarding games. Different things entertain different folk. I'm remembering when a white square flashing across a screen was exciting. Kids now have missed out on a lot of innocence and wonder.

I used to have a Binatone 'entertainment system' about 1979, hours of fun playing block soccer, it was so ridiculously fundamental back in the day I have trouble even describing how basic it was, but they sold like hot cakes at the time, kids today would just lose interest after about ten seconds seriously unsure.png

A55-binatone.jpg

I used to have a Binatone 'entertainment system' about 1979, hours of fun playing block soccer, it was so ridiculously fundamental back in the day I have trouble even describing how basic it was, but they sold like hot cakes at the time, kids today would just lose interest after about ten seconds seriously unsure.png

'79? Hi tech stuff.

Can tie down buying our (actually my brother paid for it) "console" to between August '76 and April '77....because that was the time I owned my FS1E and I can remember riding in to London to buy it.....Hamley's I think. April '77 I moved on to proper bikescool.png .

Atari 2600 - spectrum 48k - spectrum 128k - sega master system - Atari st - ps1 - ps2 - Xbox 360

That's my gaming life - add In pc element circa Xbox time.

IMHO most enjoyable game... Tanks on "combat" for Atari 2600. Using the joystick to bend shots around corners was immense.

Other than than that gta vice city on ps2 was incredible - portal 2 just amazing.

In fact whilst here I'm interested to know people's top 10's mine (excluding early 80's based console)

1: portal 2

2: gta vice city

3: kick off 2

4: football manager 2009

5: FIFA 09

6: f29 retaliator

7: battlefield 3

8: syphon filter

9: emlyn Hughes international soccer

10: forza 4

too hard to pick a top ten would take a lot of thinkin...forgot about syphon filter though that was class...the first metal gear would be up near the top for me too

You know what it probably isn't my top 10, it was more a brain storm. But yeah others include mario kart and yeah wtf street fighter 2!!! Should have been in top 5.

Single player: In no particular order:

1: Farcry series

2: Bioshock series

3: Doom 3 onwards

4: Fallout 3 series

5: Half Life series

6: Portal series

7: Crisis series

8: Cryostasis

9: Trine

10: Timeshift

Special mention to Stalker, Rage, Metro 2033, Fear, Alice, Madness returns, Borderlands.

If I had to pick only 5, it would be Farcry, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Half Life 2, Crisis.

Multiplayer: Farcry, Call of Duty.

I'm more one for the old days really but if we're talking last 15 years then I'd have to include the Resident Evil series, the WWE releases, Abe's Odysee and The Getaway series, Black Monday etc, the latter was amazing for it's time

Resident evil - first one was ace lost interest after that.

I'll always remember on either the second or third in the series about two thirds through you came to a room and had to solve a bastard of a puzzle, you couldn't continue without doing it, getting blocks in a row or in the right order, took me days to solve it, spent more time getting in a rage with it than having the patience to actually get it done, it's one reason why I never attempted the game again when I had completed it

I'll always remember on either the second or third in the series about two thirds through you came to a room and had to solve a bastard of a puzzle, you couldn't continue without doing it, getting blocks in a row or in the right order, took me days to solve it, spent more time getting in a rage with it than having the patience to actually get it done, it's one reason why I never attempted the game again when I had completed it

Haha it made me laugh reading that gave me a flashback to the bugger!!To hard to put any numerical list together for me but a few oldies that stuck for me where Barbarian I think it was for the commodore or amstrad? Dizzy the Egg series, Zelda, Mario Karts, Golden Eye on multiplayer.On a newer note the COD games hold their own and Enemy Territory for the PC was and still will be class online.

1. Final Fantasy 7

2. Fallout 3

3. Metal Gear Solid

4. PES 4(I owned that game)

5. GTA 3/Vice City(can't decide)

6. Football Manager 07

7. Champ Manager 98

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2/3

9. Streets of Rage

10. Worms

Probably missed some...Lemmings springs to mind as does golden axe but it was a quick list..

Edited by marcopaulo

The fact that there's no Zelda in these lists, tells me never to take any of you 'gamers' seriously tongue.png

Edit - *EFC-Paul...just noticed you included it. loves.

Absolute classic opened many doors for other games to follow suite & the fishing had me "hooked" sorry couldn't help it....Yeah the GTA series and the first Gran Turismo were/are great games, Final Fantasy VII was a decent game oh and Tomb Raider

Marco - Syphon Filter and Golden Axe...amaze! Streets of Rage was another that I loved as a kid, would play that over and over. Who were you in the games Marco? Axel :P I was always Blaze, she could backflip and kick you in the face...quality!

Av - As you say Portal series, it shouldn't of worked (One weapon!? (I know the first game was designed as an 'instruction manual' for using the weapon in the Half-Life series, but still))....it was incredible. The second one just excels and improves everything from the first! Outstanding script, well thought out, meaningful characters and an air of mystery about the whole thing...freaking sweet.

Everyone - If you want a racing game, there is nothing more satisfying and fun than Mario Kart...nothing. A friend of mine still owns a Gamecube just for one game, DOuble Dash, and we're soo cool that you can find us playing 'Baby Park' over and over, and playing Battle for hours. If you think you play some hardcore battles, one of ours lasted nearly 7 hours the other evening, scores as follows:

P1- 57 Wins

P2 - 62 Wins

P3 - 58 Wins

P4 - 60 Wins

1. Final Fantasy 7

2. Fallout 3

3. Metal Gear Solid

4. PES 4(I owned that game)

5. GTA 3/Vice City(can't decide)

6. Football Manager 07

7. Champ Manager 98

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2/3

9. Streets of Rage

10. Worms

Probably missed some...Lemmings springs to mind as does golden axe but it was a quick list..

Golden axe - I loved that game at the time, play it now and it's lame but at the time jumping on a dragon and blowing fire or picking up a person and throwing them was awesome - the dwarf was the best.

Final Fight was also a big arcade fave of mine - honourable mention to Double Dragon and teenage mutant ninja turtles - took many a 10p off me - also loved WWF wrestling and Mad dog mcree at the arcade.

Marco, on a serious note. Do you have a Wii? or anyone else that you can borrow one off?

Get Skyward Sword, it's been critically acclaimed and supposedly betters (actual heart attack) Ocarina of Time (Best game ever? possibly) but you need Wii motion plus.

I had it bought for me for Crimbo...I don't have a Wii but i needed it. So i'm trying to find one that I can borrow for a few months aha. I need Wii motion plus though...so i'll have to buy that too.

In summary, I was bought a game that i don't have the console to play it on but I really really needed it!