IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

First 2/3's Rage - Brilliant

Last 1/3 Rage - Awful

Like Av said, he understands what i meant when i said the ending was terrible. And in answer to your comment Av, would it suprise you if they did?

The impression i get is that they got bored, rushed the ending. I'm guessing all the bits before took soo long to produce because to be fair, its a marvel to behold and I wouldn't be suprised if they came close to deadline and hurried it.

First 2/3's Rage - Brilliant

Last 1/3 Rage - Awful

Like Av said, he understands what i meant when i said the ending was terrible. And in answer to your comment Av, would it suprise you if they did?

The impression i get is that they got bored, rushed the ending. I'm guessing all the bits before took soo long to produce because to be fair, its a marvel to behold and I wouldn't be suprised if they came close to deadline and hurried it.

It struck me that somebody created a half arsed ending, and they wanted to get it out so stuck it on. What was the point of the soldiers blocking the guys door after one adventure? Until it ended, it was really good, but I was really disappointed that no story line was followed.

As for Wii, the daughter bought us one for Christmas. If folk have never gamed, I guess it could be fun for them to play tennis, or golf etc, but it made me wonder whether to jump off a bridge or take an overdose if I'm honest. If silly cartoon characters is the way forward, I'll gladly take my games into a cupboard and never come out.

dfw-tennis.jpg

Is it really 2012? Who QC'd those graphics?

Is that you Av? :lol:

Its not just about the graphics though, and its no secret that the Wii was so inferior to the PS3 and Xbox (other dimension to PC)...but the graphics weren't able to be fully utilised because at the time, the motion senses were taking up most of the processing power. It explains why the only games available for the Wii (and to an extent the Playstation Move and Kinnect), have poor graphics, bold, rounded shapes, very low intensity and stop start mechanics. Most of the Kinnect and Move games are built on 'tracks', so the game plays itself with the user interacting with that.

Nintendo (having the technology years in advanced) have moved into more Role playing games (Zelda included)

Graphics aren't the be-all and end-all but as a PC gamer, I understand they're always trying to outdo each other from a graphical standpoint, so you will pick up on it. Some of the Wii games are good, but they were built/created for inclusive fun, so had to be designed and developed to cater for everyone, including your gran :)

But as you say about Rage, you're probably right. It had no storyline ending at all...it was criminal!

Is that you Av? laugh.png

Its not just about the graphics though, and its no secret that the Wii was so inferior to the PS3 and Xbox (other dimension to PC)...but the graphics weren't able to be fully utilised because at the time, the motion senses were taking up most of the processing power. It explains why the only games available for the Wii (and to an extent the Playstation Move and Kinnect), have poor graphics, bold, rounded shapes, very low intensity and stop start mechanics. Most of the Kinnect and Move games are built on 'tracks', so the game plays itself with the user interacting with that.

Nintendo (having the technology years in advanced) have moved into more Role playing games (Zelda included)

Graphics aren't the be-all and end-all but as a PC gamer, I understand they're always trying to outdo each other from a graphical standpoint, so you will pick up on it. Some of the Wii games are good, but they were built/created for inclusive fun, so had to be designed and developed to cater for everyone, including your gran smile.png

But as you say about Rage, you're probably right. It had no storyline ending at all...it was criminal!

There is something ironic about a group of unfit people stood in the living room, swinging a pretend plastic bat whilst a kids drawing hits a ball on screen, in the hope they'll get fit. Simple minds easily pleased? doh.gif

Get their fat lazy asses down to the sports centre. smile.png

There used to be a boxing game about 20 years ago in some arcades called The Final Round, it think it was brought out by Konami and by god, I spent some money on this, it was very good for the time but I don't think they ever released it for home formats, if you could beat Bronx Bruiser towards the end then it was as good as job done

1) Alex Kidd in Miracle World

2) Super Mario 3

3) Half-life/counterstrike

4) SuperMarioWorld

5) Syphon Filter (surprised others put it up everyone I know seems to bum MGS)

6) Mario Kart

7) Pokemon

8) Crash Bandicoot (Pandemonium was quality as well)

9) PES4

10) GTA

My top 10:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

2. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

3. Super Mario World (SNES)

4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3/X360)

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

6. Super Mario 64 (N64)

7. WWF Smackdown! Know Your Role (PS1)

8. Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

9. Super International Cricket (SNES)

10. 007 Goldeneye (N64)

IMO games haven't improved a great deal in gameplay since evolving from the 5th and 6th generations into what we have today. Yeah sure they look spectacular and are a hell of a lot closer to reality then ever before, but I find the gameplay to be simply just 'not as fun'. Maybe it comes with age, I'm not sure, either way when I constructed this list I realised how much I loved consoles like the N64.

Is it me or was San andreas a depressing landscape and atmosphere and despite having far better gadgets (flying, jet packs, parachutes etc) Vice City was just awesomse in it's 80's retro atmosphere - with what can only be described as the best Video Game soundtrack ever -plus the story line was awesome too...

My top 10:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

2. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)

3. Super Mario World (SNES)

4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3/X360)

5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

6. Super Mario 64 (N64)

7. WWF Smackdown! Know Your Role (PS1)

8. Donkey Kong 64 (N64)

9. Super International Cricket (SNES)

10. 007 Goldeneye (N64)

IMO games haven't improved a great deal in gameplay since evolving from the 5th and 6th generations into what we have today. Yeah sure they look spectacular and are a hell of a lot closer to reality then ever before, but I find the gameplay to be simply just 'not as fun'. Maybe it comes with age, I'm not sure, either way when I constructed this list I realised how much I loved consoles like the N64.

I don't relate to those games. Maybe you need to try out some different titles. If you want game play, games like Bioshock are very unique. If you like shooters, and adventure, you really can't beat Farcry and Half life 2 despite them being old. If you want suspense and to be frightened occasionally, games like Doom 3 or Cryostasis will have you crawling the walls if you play them at the right time of day. Open world games like Fallout 3 are pretty decent, and for using your brain, Portal offers some good game play.

Is it me or was San andreas a depressing landscape and atmosphere and despite having far better gadgets (flying, jet packs, parachutes etc) Vice City was just awesomse in it's 80's retro atmosphere - with what can only be described as the best Video Game soundtrack ever -plus the story line was awesome too...

Tony Hawks pips that for me. also mention for Fifa99 but the Fifa game was poo

Edited by pete0

I don't relate to those games. Maybe you need to try out some different titles. If you want game play, games like Bioshock are very unique. If you like shooters, and adventure, you really can't beat Farcry and Half life 2 despite them being old. If you want suspense and to be frightened occasionally, games like Doom 3 or Cryostasis will have you crawling the walls if you play them at the right time of day. Open world games like Fallout 3 are pretty decent, and for using your brain, Portal offers some good game play.

For me TC's selection reflects a similar trend to my own childhood and the games that i would have been playing. I think at the age demographic that you fall under Av, it would indicate that you were a more mature gamer by the time these titles were released. And its probably why TC reflects on the ones that he has and if i'm honest, most of my selections would have derived from the N64 or Sga mega drive.

All the ones you've mentioned above are certainly more mature but for our demographic, playability and 'fun' were a greater aspect to our gaming enjoyment, i'm guessing you were beyond that by the time we had an N64 and were now looking for intrinsic storylines and exceptional graphics :) Hence the PC games that you include?

For me TC's selection reflects a similar trend to my own childhood and the games that i would have been playing. I think at the age demographic that you fall under Av, it would indicate that you were a more mature gamer by the time these titles were released. And its probably why TC reflects on the ones that he has and if i'm honest, most of my selections would have derived from the N64 or Sga mega drive.

All the ones you've mentioned above are certainly more mature but for our demographic, playability and 'fun' were a greater aspect to our gaming enjoyment, i'm guessing you were beyond that by the time we had an N64 and were now looking for intrinsic storylines and exceptional graphics smile.png Hence the PC games that you include?

Yeah, I guess that could be true. I started PC gaming late in life, and only really took it seriously regarding playing for teams in around 2004. 99% of my time was playing FPS and shooters were always my favourite. When we were kids, we were blessed with Space Invaders, Sonic, and Pac man during our teens, but earlier than that it was the basic beep beep stuff of the early consoles.

the gameplay is immensely good...so much fun...just done the bit where you kill mutants in stages to get a sponsorship thing...was such fun i did it 2 or 3 times over using a reload biggrin.png

I loved it mate. There is still a lot of game play, but for me, I was just about to orgasm when it told me to get off and finish myself off in my own time. wacko.png

IMPORTANT

If you play the game Alice: Madness Returns, there is a bug on the pc version which might stop you from being able to open the umbrella whilst fighting the Ruin.

How resolve this solution ?

1) Back-up the DefaultInput file.

2) Open the DefaultInput file and look for [Engine. KeyCommands] at the end of the file

3) Change the following line

Key_Block = TriggerBlock

into

Key_Block = TriggerBlock true | OnRelease TriggerBlock false

and mind the space.

4) Save the change.

You'll find the file in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Alice Madness Returns\Alice2\AliceGame\Config