IGNORED

Michael Owen

Signing Owen would be like getting a Sierra Cosworth, in it's day a great looking car. Problem is , buy one now - even for peanuts, it looks dated, not as quick, expensive to run, supseptible bodywork, and all your mates who used to have one would laugh - especially when they have a porsche like Torres in the garage.

Everton had become somewhat of an Elephants grave yard (Hughes, Ginola, Gascoigne) - I thought we were getting away from that.

Why not go for a young lad with shear pace and strength (the football manager database will help) - would Wenger sign Owen? No. He would do his usual and buy a player with the raw attributes that he could mould.

Football has moved on alot since Owen was prolific, forwards do a lot more for the team and have a wider variety of attributes and all round play, how does Owen's game compare to a Samuel Eto, Torres, Rooney, Aguero, Henry, Drogba, Anelka, Adebuyor, Pato, the list goes on. Forward players nowadays need to be not just pacey but strong, good in the air because centre halves have become far more athletic.

I would sooner have Nugent than Owen, at least his heart would be in it, plus he can hold the ball up. Ebanks blake? These lads deserve a chance, lets face it, Owen has never been the same player he was in 98/99, without his pace, he relies on clever movement, and to be perfectly honest he is a six yard box merchant as his distance finishing is poor.

A player who has sporting commitments outside of football (horse racing) is not hungry enough to play for this club.

:D

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Owen is just a finisher there is no other part to his game.

We have one of those already in Yak.

We can't have two players that just hang around the 6 yard box especially when we aren't a particularly creative team.

That's why I like Saha. We can create something for himself, beat a player, shoot from outside the box etc.

Just because he's on a free doesn't mean we can afford him. £2m a year in wages is still tons. Remember Cahill cost £1.5 to buy!

We can't have two players that just hang around the 6 yard box especially when we aren't a particularly creative team.

That's why I like Saha. We can create something for himself, beat a player, shoot from outside the box etc.

Just because he's on a free doesn't mean we can afford him. £2m a year in wages is still tons. Remember Cahill cost £1.5 to buy!

It's not right to compare that though really. Cahill was a great signing and a great find but we're not going to be able to be able to uncover bargains like that all the time.

disagree with ya there.

firstly, owen has more to him game than just finishing, he's adapted his game over the last couple of seasons and actually comes deeper and links the play. he played jsut behind the front 2 for newcastle and had arguably his best spell in years there scoring goals and getting assists.

as for saha, he can do those things i'm sure, but how often does he do it? i thought he'd be a decent signing but he's been a bit of a flop...when he's played he's generally just looked past and terribly jittery in the box.

Saha included, buying injury prone players is not the right way forward for Everton. Who knows what we could have achieved this season without injuries, we don't have the resources to pay £50k a week to a 'free' gamble. Saha has been an ok buy, he has scored a handful of vital goals and if that's as pay as you play then an even better buy.

I honestly believe that Owen would struggle in a championship side nowadays as his lack of pace and power would stand out and he would be bullied out of games. Owen dropping deeper only goes to show that he can no longer play on the centre halves shoulders hoping for a through ball. If we want a deep striker then we have plenty of options with Osman, Cahill, Fellaini. Bringing a big name in who may not add to the quality of the squad may only push some noses out of place.

If we are going to give a chance to player who needs to overcome injuries and show his class, then that man has to be James Vaughan. Yak is number 1, and he needs someone to compliment him. Money involved (up to £8m), my choice would be Crouch, I think he would compliment Yak perfectly, can hold the ball up, takes defenders with him, is tidy on the deck and is an option in the air (given his improvement in this department)

on a free then I say go for it, he's a brilliant finisher and IF he can stay relatively free from injury (a big if I know - otherwise he'd cost about £10m) then he'll be a phenomenal signing. ok he needs a signing on fee and wages but he supported us as a boym he's a nice guy, a great ambassador for the game, a natural born goalscorer and for me it's a no brainer, a half fit Owen is better than a half fit Saha. Get Owen and buy another fully fit striker and we're in business, put Vaughan out on loan for some fitness and experience.

Saha included, buying injury prone players is not the right way forward for Everton. Who knows what we could have achieved this season without injuries, we don't have the resources to pay £50k a week to a 'free' gamble. Saha has been an ok buy, he has scored a handful of vital goals and if that's as pay as you play then an even better buy.

I honestly believe that Owen would struggle in a championship side nowadays as his lack of pace and power would stand out and he would be bullied out of games. Owen dropping deeper only goes to show that he can no longer play on the centre halves shoulders hoping for a through ball. If we want a deep striker then we have plenty of options with Osman, Cahill, Fellaini. Bringing a big name in who may not add to the quality of the squad may only push some noses out of place.

If we are going to give a chance to player who needs to overcome injuries and show his class, then that man has to be James Vaughan. Yak is number 1, and he needs someone to compliment him. Money involved (up to £8m), my choice would be Crouch, I think he would compliment Yak perfectly, can hold the ball up, takes defenders with him, is tidy on the deck and is an option in the air (given his improvement in this department)

owen is a better all round player than each of those. i can't see why he would struggle in the championship...you mustn't watch him much...he's still very much a premiership player.

I think if we brought Owen in on a similar pay as you play deal like we got Saha on, then that'd be shrewd business.

I was certain that Saha was simply past it with the injury riddled season's he'd had with Manure previously, but he *somewhat* proved me wrong. Sure he did miss a fair number of games, but those he did play, he's scored some important goals and really displays some genuine skill and flair on the ball as well.

If Moyes can do the same with Owen, then why not?

I think if we brought Owen in on a similar pay as you play deal like we got Saha on, then that'd be shrewd business.

I was certain that Saha was simply past it with the injury riddled season's he'd had with Manure previously, but he *somewhat* proved me wrong. Sure he did miss a fair number of games, but those he did play, he's scored some important goals and really displays some genuine skill and flair on the ball as well.

If Moyes can do the same with Owen, then why not?

Saha is not, never has been and never will be, on a pay as you play contract. It's complete fabrication.

He came to the club injured and offered to not be paid until he was fit, but we did not do that. There has never been anything to suggest he was on pay as you play. Simply because he never was.

I seem to remember owen saying when he joined the new championship mid table team that he was interested in joining Everton but now wasn't the right time, so after a few years after saying that, who knows. Can't see him going to Villa though