IGNORED

Tim Cahill

fantastic news, though i still think 4 years is strange.

Agree but hopefully it'll have a knock-on effect with the other players we need to tie down. Timmy's a big character and probably a bit of a leader in the dressing room, maybe the club are hoping others will follow his lead (I am :) ).

Say's he'd sign for life. For that comment alone, he should be Evertons mascott when he retires :D He opitimises Everton and has the ineterest of everyone around him at the club at heart. Love this guy. Hope he stays part of the Everton fabric for a long time.

Agree but hopefully it'll have a knock-on effect with the other players we need to tie down. Timmy's a big character and probably a bit of a leader in the dressing room, maybe the club are hoping others will follow his lead (I am :) ).

i see and understand the tactic, but surely that will have a knock on affect to what we can offer as wages to others (ie Pienaar)?

i see and understand the tactic, but surely that will have a knock on affect to what we can offer as wages to others (ie Pienaar)?

That's assuming he has taken a significant pay rise - maybe at this stage of his career, and given his obvious love for the club, he was just looking for a bit of security for the future. And if he has taken a bit of a pay increase, good luck to him, he's still the top goalscorer at the club, he deserves rewarding for that. You can't be suggesting we shouldn't reward trusting, loyal, outstanding players like TC just so we can offer Pienaar, who might decide to leave anyway, massive wages? It's a team game, if Pienaar goes, he goes, we'll move on.

That's assuming he has taken a significant pay rise - maybe at this stage of his career, and given his obvious love for the club, he was just looking for a bit of security for the future. And if he has taken a bit of a pay increase, good luck to him, he's still the top goalscorer at the club, he deserves rewarding for that. You can't be suggesting we shouldn't reward trusting, loyal, outstanding players like TC just so we can offer Pienaar, who might decide to leave anyway, massive wages? It's a team game, if Pienaar goes, he goes, we'll move on.

Not at all, im all for it especially as it seems to be so rare that a player is loyal in this game. For the record, im incredibly happy that he has signed, but i think it is a strange timing. Granted, my point here is based around assumption that he is getting more money, which i dont know. Isnt he one of our highest earners anyway? If this is the case a raise probably isnt likely and hes being rewarded with more security. He does deserve recognition for this year, despite this being a disappointing (by his standards) campaign.

I keep harpin on about Pienaar because for 2 years now, he has been one of our top 3 players and this season, as well as the end of last season when Arteta was injured, our main source of attack and creativity. He deserves and has earnt the right to the top wages (again, assuming he isnt already on them and that he is not just being a greedy bastard!). The partnership he has with Baines is fantastic and keepin that intact for me is the priority. Signing up Cahill who is an older player, who already had 2 years left on his contract, is still strange in my eyes, considerin when we have a younger, equally important player with 12 months left on his contract and nothing is confirmed. Sorting out Cahills contract has taken if not more money but time that could be spent on an uncertain future.

If Cahill were to leave, which he has more or less said he wont, we have players that can play that supporting striker role. If Pienaar leaves, we do not have a replacement in a left winger. Bily is not the answer there, if anythin he should be playin Cahills role.

Not at all, im all for it especially as it seems to be so rare that a player is loyal in this game. For the record, im incredibly happy that he has signed, but i think it is a strange timing. Granted, my point here is based around assumption that he is getting more money, which i dont know. Isnt he one of our highest earners anyway? If this is the case a raise probably isnt likely and hes being rewarded with more security. He does deserve recognition for this year, despite this being a disappointing (by his standards) campaign.

I keep harpin on about Pienaar because for 2 years now, he has been one of our top 3 players and this season, as well as the end of last season when Arteta was injured, our main source of attack and creativity. He deserves and has earnt the right to the top wages (again, assuming he isnt already on them and that he is not just being a greedy bastard!). The partnership he has with Baines is fantastic and keepin that intact for me is the priority. Signing up Cahill who is an older player, who already had 2 years left on his contract, is still strange in my eyes, considerin when we have a younger, equally important player with 12 months left on his contract and nothing is confirmed. Sorting out Cahills contract has taken if not more money but time that could be spent on an uncertain future.

If Cahill were to leave, which he has more or less said he wont, we have players that can play that supporting striker role. If Pienaar leaves, we do not have a replacement in a left winger. Bily is not the answer there, if anythin he should be playin Cahills role.

I can see what you are saying and I agree that Piennar should be the priority but his contract is a completely seperate issue and I believe the club are doing the right thing getting as many players as they can tied down to long term contracts

Its not as if its a case of we either keep Cahill or Piennar, the club have also offered new contracts to Coleman,Rodwell, Arteta and Gosling. We shouldnt be putting everybody elses contract talks on hold until Piennar decides if he wants to stay or not

I love Piennar and I really do hope he signs a new contract as I think he is a massive player for us but I do fear he has already played his last game for us

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Cahill has been a great signing for us, no doubt about that. However my thoughts are this...why offer someone a 4 year contract when they still have 2 years left??? I would say yes if it was Pienaar, however it looks like we missed that boat and we are at risk of losing him. Would we be at risk of losing Cahill in two years? Certainly not to a rival IMO.

Criticising extending a good servants contract may attract some criticism but we are running a business, within the next two years I expect a midfield trio of fellaini, Arteta and Rodwell to dominate, that leaves and attacking midfield role for Cahill, but will we be happy to rely on him for goals? I expect us to move on and get an established goal getter. Cahill is still able to do a job, but I do think he is on the decline, which when you look at the likes of Gerrard means he isn't alone and is of no disgrace.

I'm not unhappy about extending his contract, I am just cautious as to why - is it to satisfy the fans in readiness for some disappointment? Who knows, it's just a confusing one. The contract I want wrapped up is Pienaars, we wait with baited breathe.............

I can see what you are saying and I agree that Piennar should be the priority but his contract is a completely seperate issue and I believe the club are doing the right thing getting as many players as they can tied down to long term contracts

Its not as if its a case of we either keep Cahill or Piennar, the club have also offered new contracts to Coleman,Rodwell, Arteta and Gosling. We shouldnt be putting everybody elses contract talks on hold until Piennar decides if he wants to stay or not

I love Piennar and I really do hope he signs a new contract as I think he is a massive player for us but I do fear he has already played his last game for us

i agree word for word!

and by the sound of things they havent spent much time on TC's contract.

"tim, would you like a new deal?"

"yeah, what you got in mind?"

"four years ok?"

"sounds good to me, you print it up, i'll sign it"

done.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else see the same mentality of Tim as we had with Big Dunc?

Oh for eleven players with that attitude.

Yeah, Cahill is definitely in the same mould as Ferguson - he regularly fucks up our games by getting sent off for punching/strangling opposition players. Cahill has a far better attitude than Duncan.