IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

How is it different from England? The media is even more rampant in England. Little johnny kicks a stunner and he's the next Beckham they're waiting outside his apartment in London to follow him to school.

I agree haf the players get off easy but they do everywhere. Remember loic remy had the rape charge removed? Valbuena and benzena the extortion thing and they play week in and out. No different.

I used to go to school with Matt Ritchie and no one ever fussed around him. Most footballers won't even have to make it college. No one watches college games or uni games here, maybe 100 at a push. Over there the college games are massive. A lot need scholarships too to give them a chance. To deal with that, general school life and the learning side must be difficult, especially as everyone knows you in the school, people outside the state may even know of you.

I'm not really commenting on the rape stuff, just another seperate observation.

I used to go to school with Matt Ritchie and no one ever fussed around him. Most footballers won't even have to make it college. No one watches college games or uni games here, maybe 100 at a push. Over there the college games are massive. A lot need scholarships too to give them a chance. To deal with that, general school life and the learning side must be difficult, especially as everyone knows you in the school, people outside the state may even know of you.

I'm not really commenting on the rape stuff, just another seperate observation.

on your second point, agreed.

on your first point. essentially the college system here is the exact same as the "lower leagues" or "minor leagues" system in Europe. The big difference being in Europe you treat them as jobs and professionals. Here the NCAA figured out a way to exploit these kids by saying they are "STUDENT atheletes" (notice which word is first) and give them a college education. Granted my father played college football (and so did his father) and the classes are attended at most 1-2 a week due to travel/practice, the courses are tailored to the sports kids so they are "dance 101" "theatre 101" "athletics for sport 101" etc. So the whole student part is pretty overblown.

I wish the leagues would become like Europe and just have full minor leagues where people make a decent wage and don't have to worry about college. If they want to go that route, sure, but it shouldn't be the only route.

on your second point, agreed.

on your first point. essentially the college system here is the exact same as the "lower leagues" or "minor leagues" system in Europe. The big difference being in Europe you treat them as jobs and professionals. Here the NCAA figured out a way to exploit these kids by saying they are "STUDENT atheletes" (notice which word is first) and give them a college education. Granted my father played college football (and so did his father) and the classes are attended at most 1-2 a week due to travel/practice, the courses are tailored to the sports kids so they are "dance 101" "theatre 101" "athletics for sport 101" etc. So the whole student part is pretty overblown.

I wish the leagues would become like Europe and just have full minor leagues where people make a decent wage and don't have to worry about college. If they want to go that route, sure, but it shouldn't be the only route.

How weird because I always thought that you guys had the right idea. It seemed fairer, kids still got an "education" (I would prefer that to be better over here) and that it also prepared them for the limelight and they didn't suddenly go from back of the class prankster who was decent at footy to the next big thing overnight.

How weird because I always thought that you guys had the right idea. It seemed fairer, kids still got an "education" (I would prefer that to be better over here) and that it also prepared them for the limelight and they didn't suddenly go from back of the class prankster who was decent at footy to the next big thing overnight.

Haha grass is always greener :)

Most of the athletes never graduate so the whole college thing is negated. Even if they do they usually have to do an extra year after playing since they can't take their serious courses while doing sports.

Amazing, great for Green Bay, what an ending.

That second to last play was incredible. Inches inside the line to get them just far enough for the field goal. Balls of steel.

Aaron Rodgers has incredible composure at the QB position. Very happy with the result and once he made that pass with 3 seconds left to put it in field goal range, I knew Crosby would put it through the uprights. I don't watch a lot of NFL anymore but games like that are what make it fun to watch. I think they'll be able to handle the Falcons for the NFC Championship (I hope).

Packers v Falcons

Patriots v Steelers

2 classic storied franchises always deep in the playoffs (pats, steelers) versus the upstarts (pack, falcons). personally I'm hoping either packers or falcons win it, can't stand the steelers and I'm tired of patriots winning it every year.

What do you mean saying Green Bay is an upstart? They won the first two Super Bowls ever!

Falcons I can agree with.

I also hate the Steelers. They may be my last favorite team in the NFL, besides maybe the Bears.

What do you mean saying Green Bay is an upstart? They won the first two Super Bowls ever!

I also hate the Steelers. They may be my last favorite team in the NFL, besides maybe the Bears.

the stories about roethlesburger make me dislike the steelers,

Green Bay Packers are very much an Everton-like NFL team for me.

but in recent history they've been outsiders looking in. pats and steelers make the playoffs every year since belicheck for pats and going back to the 90's for the steelers. they are "model franchises". packers are either make playoffs or combust just before the end of the season and miss them, they haven't been super consistent in the last 5 years.

look I'm rooting for the pats, I love the organization and team and Rodgers, but they haven't been a dynasty like the Pats or Steelers (in recent history like last 27 years going back to 1990).

the stories about roethlesburger make me dislike the steelers,

Green Bay Packers are very much an Everton-like NFL team for me.

you know someone said the steelers were everton like (they're not), and I tried so hard to find a franchise that is like everton but I think you're right Haf, the Packers could be it. Great team, people's club, always on the bubble of playoffs or not.

but in recent history they've been outsiders looking in. pats and steelers make the playoffs every year since belicheck for pats and going back to the 90's for the steelers. they are "model franchises". packers are either make playoffs or combust just before the end of the season and miss them, they haven't been super consistent in the last 5 years.

look I'm rooting for the pats, I love the organization and team and Rodgers, but they haven't been a dynasty like the Pats or Steelers (in recent history like last 27 years going back to 1990).

you know someone said the steelers were everton like (they're not), and I tried so hard to find a franchise that is like everton but I think you're right Haf, the Packers could be it. Great team, people's club, always on the bubble of playoffs or not.

Packers have only missed the playoffs 5 times in the last 24 years (since 1993), and they've won two Super Bowls in that period. They've also been to the playoffs every year in the last eight years. The seventies and eighties were rough though.

Steelers have missed 8 during that time but have also won two Super Bowls. They were good in the seventies.

The Patriots barely made the playoffs until 1994 (were formed in 1971), but they've won four titles since then. They've also missed the playoffs 6 times in that 24 year period.

I agree that the Packers would be the closest to Everton in the NFL. I think that's part of the reason I was drawn to the Blues is because they remind me of how Green Bay treats its fans.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Packers have only missed the playoffs 5 times in the last 24 years (since 1993), and they've won two Super Bowls in that period. They've also been to the playoffs every year in the last eight years. The seventies and eighties were rough though.

Steelers have missed 8 during that time but have also won two Super Bowls. They were good in the seventies.

The Patriots barely made the playoffs until 1994 (were formed in 1971), but they've won four titles since then. They've also missed the playoffs 6 times in that 24 year period.

I agree that the Packers would be the closest to Everton in the NFL. I think that's part of the reason I was drawn to the Blues is because they remind me of how Green Bay treats its fans.

damn didn't know that. well in that case I don't think pack is like everton since we last won it all in 84, pack has won too much and make "champs league" (playoffs) too much to be everton lol.

maybe everton is like the Chicago Bears. Powerhouses in the 80's and had a super bowl appearance (but lost) since then (FA cup win would be comparible). Blue collar town. Football rabid fans. That's all I got.