IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Wasn't blaming the kids Si, remember an example of the sort of thing you're talking about when a parent went absolutely ape-shit at a game where his lad was a sub but still unused with ten minutes or so to go. It was a close game (Josh was also an unused sub incidentally) and this lad was actually pretty useless; so what does the coach do? Difficult. Guy took his son and his toys home and we never saw him again after expletive ridden rant.

I was myself probably guilty of being a "pushy parent" at times myself (which I obviously regret) but it was because Josh had much more talent than I ever did but not the confidence in himself to express it (that's my excuse anyway). We've talked about it many times and luckily he forgives me :).

Not a new thing though, my dad ran a team that I played in and he was far harder on me than anyone else. Also when I started getting successful at table tennis when I was a bit older I had to ban him from coming to tournaments, he couldn't watch without giving "advice" even though he couldn't play the game to save his life.

Was a complex issue 40/50 years ago, even more so now.

This is why i have chosen to go into Sports Science rather than Sports Coaching, i know people going down the coaching route and some of them are regretting it already simply because after a session or a game or whatever, they will get a parent coming up to them asking why their kid only had 10 mins and not 15 mins.

Mike, you were lucky that your Dad was so supportive. I loved my Dad but he wasn't supportive. I remember getting my trial for Liverpool boys. My Dad was all excited and he said he would take me and my brother (he had an old Ford van) to the ground at Penny Lane where the trial was to be held. He took us down there and I kept looking for him during the game but couldn't see him. My brother said he had to go somewhere. To rub salt in, there was another game going on on the next pitch and my brother watched that. He said it was a better game! My Dad returned after the match was over. After I came out of National Service, I played senior amateur football, played for the County etc., but he never bothered coming to see me play. So, overly supportive or zilch, a choice of extremes but I would (reluctantly) go for overly supportive.

I was 13 when I had my trial (68 years ago) all the other lads in the trial were 15/16 so they shoved me in a couple of years too soon. Funny the things that stick in your memory.

Mike, you were lucky that your Dad was so supportive. I loved my Dad but he wasn't supportive. I remember getting my trial for Liverpool boys. My Dad was all excited and he said he would take me and my brother (he had an old Ford van) to the ground at Penny Lane where the trial was to be held. He took us down there and I kept looking for him during the game but couldn't see him. My brother said he had to go somewhere. To rub salt in, there was another game going on on the next pitch and my brother watched that. He said it was a better game! My Dad returned after the match was over. After I came out of National Service, I played senior amateur football, played for the County etc., but he never bothered coming to see me play. So, overly supportive or zilch, a choice of extremes but I would (reluctantly) go for overly supportive.

I was 13 when I had my trial (68 years ago) all the other lads in the trial were 15/16 so they shoved me in a couple of years too soon. Funny the things that stick in your memory.

Difference between supporting and pressuring though John, sad your dad couldn't support you for whatever reason.

Best (funniest?) example for me was when I was playing the biggest table tennis final of my life to that point. My mum's brother happened to be visiting at the time so he came along to watch; I was probably sixteen and had woken with a dreadful migraine (which I suffered from badly) so was feeling like shit in the car on the way. My dad had a leg in plaster due to a break playing football so mum was driving. About two miles from home my dad and uncle were in a massive argument over how I should play the game, even though neither had a clue, to the extent that my dad demanded my mum stop the car so he could go home; which he did, on his crutches. I was actually quite pleased he wasn't going to be there.

Anyway adrenaline kicked in and I won (largest trophy ever but not the hardest) and still my uncle told me off after the game for being too "nice", I'd been a real "John McEnroe" in earlier years before I realise how counter productive it was for me and I'd gone completely the other way; accepting bad luck and applauding when my opponent was too good for me. Transformed my game that realisation. Also often annoyed the shit out of the opponent :P.

PS Got home with the cup, migraine kicked in again and I was sick as a dog until the next day.

Difference between supporting and pressuring though John, sad your dad couldn't support you for whatever reason.

Best (funniest?) example for me was when I was playing the biggest table tennis final of my life to that point. My mum's brother happened to be visiting at the time so he came along to watch; I was probably sixteen and had woken with a dreadful migraine (which I suffered from badly) so was feeling like shit in the car on the way. My dad had a leg in plaster due to a break playing football so mum was driving. About two miles from home my dad and uncle were in a massive argument over how I should play the game, even though neither had a clue, to the extent that my dad demanded my mum stop the car so he could go home; which he did, on his crutches. I was actually quite pleased he wasn't going to be there.

Anyway adrenaline kicked in and I won (largest trophy ever but not the hardest) and still my uncle told me off after the game for being too "nice", I'd been a real "John McEnroe" in earlier years before I realise how counter productive it was for me and I'd gone completely the other way; accepting bad luck and applauding when my opponent was too good for me. Transformed my game that realisation. Also often annoyed the shit out of the opponent :P.

PS Got home with the cup, migraine kicked in again and I was sick as a dog until the next day.

Mike, I had a real good laugh reading that. Sounds like a sketch out of the Royle Family. Can just see your Dad arguing with your uncle (when neither knew what they were on about) then stopping the car and stomping away on his crutches. I played a lot of table tennis in my teens but it sounds as if you could have given me 10 points start.

Wenger has let them get into a right state. He should be fucked off for that alone.

this is why i think we can surpass them. their owner is only interested in the business aspect of Arsenal, generating revenue. By continuing with Wenger, we can overtake them. With the new stadium we can surpass them and take our rightful place on the throne...erm....CL places.

Dier could be on to united. What the fuck are spurs doing? They'll be back in 5th place every year at this rate. Can levy really not afford the new stadium?

This worried me for our stadium although moshiri has said it will be financed separately.

Spurs came out this morning and said they have finances in place for the stadium and player sales is nothing to do with that.

Trippier is a better player imo. They'd have been mad to turn down £50m for an average player like Walker.

Not going to disagree but behind tripper is no one, Jansen sucks, outside their starting 11 they have maybe 3-4 players that are solid (son, lamela, winks, etc). Injuries and they are done. Not sure why they have such a small squad. Granted I don't care as I'd love to pass them in the table!