IGNORED

Stoke City (Home)

Bill

Everton - (The Toffees)

efc-white.jpg Versus Stoke.jpgStoke City - (The Potters)

Everton and Stoke are founder members of the first ever football league, and in fact Stoke formed in 1863 along with Notts County are believed to be the two oldest clubs, a few years older than us.

Seven of the original 12 are in the prem this season, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Everton, Stoke, West Brom and Wolves are all original founder members.

I spoke to several lads on the Delilahs forum, heres what they had to say and i thank them for their replies.

1 .... Similar to Ian Holloway at Blackpool, Tony Pulis has done a great job for you, But Stoke have a history of managers who dont stay very long, so will Tony stay long term, or are you not bothered. ?

Astrotom ... Tony has been here for a long long time, and despite his remarkable achievements whilst at the helm of the club, many people out there STILL don't like him! Personally, i want him here forever, he has never been relegated from a league which goes to show the quality and commitment he brings to the club.

Mark ... He's already been here for four years (plus a 3 year spell before that) so I'd say he's already a long term manager. But he definitely won' t be going anywhere for a while yet. He has a great relationship with our chairman and he ruled himself out of the Wales job because he wants to see this job through.

2 ... The £3.5 million signing of James Beattie was widely considered to be one of the most prudent purchases in the league at the time, so why has he and Dave Kitson (signed for £5 million) been replaced by the £8 million Kenwynne Jones. ?

Astrotom ... Beattie didn't have a good second season, sure he kept us up in the first season, and without him, God knows where Stoke would be. Obviously, the apparent bust-up between him and Pulis didn't go down too well. Kitson, the less said about him the better i'm afraid. Jonesy just has everything we need. He can head and finish a ball, like where the club is going with him.

Mark ... Simple really - attitude. Sure, Beattie virtually kept us up in the first season but since then he hadn't done anything of note. He and Kitson I think just didn't fit in anymore and it's clear their attitudes were having a negative affect on the squad.

3 .... If you had the choice of having any two players from the Everton squad to replace two of yours, who would you choose and who would they replace. ?

Astrotom ... Arteta in for Delap, Arteta is absolutely class and i would have him in my squad any day.

Pienaar in for Whitehead, don't get me wrong, i love Deano but Pienaar is brilliant.

Mark ... Leighton Baines to replace Collins/Higginbotham at left-back. Danny Collins has been having a decent season actually but they are not natural left backs. The other would defintiely be Tim Cahill and he'd replace one of our centre midfielders (possibly the ageing Delap or Diao) due to his habit of popping up with the goals.

4 .... The record attendance for the Brittania Stadium is 28,218 in 2002 against Everton, its a bit smaller than the Victoria ground but from what i hear its a lot louder. If you stay in the Premier could you survive on 25.000 attendances or have you the space to extend. ?

Astrotom ... I remember this game! I was 9 when i was at that game. Personally, i'd rather have a packed house every week with a 28,000 capacity ground than a half empty 60,000 seater stadium. That's just my personal view.

Mark ... Of course we can survive on 25,000 attendances, we've done alright the past 3 years. I think the plan is to fill in the corners of the ground if we can establish ourselves in the Premier and keep the attendance at 22,000+.

5 .... What were your expectations before the season started, and has anything happened to make you think twice about where you might finish. ?

Astrotom ... Before the season, anything above 15th, same applies now to be honest.

Mark ... I expected us to finish in the top half the table and I still believe we will Since Pulis has returned, we have improved our positions each year and hopefully this season will be no different.

6 .... Do we have any players in our team that frightens you, and is there anybody we should be afraid of in yours. ?

Astrotom ... Be worried of Etherington and Pennant, they will attack your wings continuously. Im scared of Cahill, proven goalscorer.

Mark ... I think Arteta is one to be wary of as he seems to be popping up with the goals recently. Matthew Etherington and Kenwyne Jones are definite players you should keep an eye on as their combination has proved to be effective since Jones arrived

7 .... And finally, How do you think the game will go, and can you hazard a guess what the score might be. ?

Astrotom ... We'll make a good name for ourselves, however, 1-1 after a good close game.

Mark ... Hopefully we'll pick up a point! 1-1.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be 3 points, anything less will be a let down. But Stoke are a bugger of a team to beat, very resilient and Pulis has done a good job there. I think we will knick it but not my much and i expect i will be chewing fingernails the entire game.

2-1 Yak and Distin.

Seven of the original 12 are in the prem this season, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Everton, Stoke, West Brom and Wolves are all original founder members.

And that first season we beat them 2-1 at Anfield (0-0 draw away). I'd take a repeat performance :) (apart from the Anfield bit obviously :unsure: ).

Stoke are trying to play more 'Football' than their usual fighting football so i think we'll dominate but we'll be hit on the break as much as they can, with Etherington and Pennant occupying the wings. After playing them off the park in the first half, they'll resort to long ball tactics to Kenwyn Jones, with Distin and Jags doing most of their work in the air...

However we'll come away with a 2-0 victory, with the Yak scoring twice and gettin off the mark!

Should be an interesting game. If we had Felli back there I would expect us to win and him to dominate Jones like he did against Sunderland last year but I fear his height might hurt us a little. Delaps throws also seem to screw us over for some reason as well!

Its still a game we should win, and need to win. I would dearly love Yakubu to score and I hope that Saha coming back to fitness doesnt mean he comes straight back into the team. Im going to push the boat out and say 3-0 with goals from Coleman, Yakubu and Billy in that order.

I hope we get three points out of this one, I'd say 90% of my mates are Stoke fans ( I live there) so bragging rights are a must!

With it not being at the " Fookeen 'Tania" stadium I can't see "Pewleese" outwitting Moyesy on this occasion.

Im going for a bold 3 - 0 victory ( me 'ode scrote )

Yak, Cahill , Saha.

Stoke will be far from easy, as well as having a hard working team, they are now littered with bits of quality. Jones, Pennant and Tuncay are all capable of little bits of quality. Saying this, i expect us to win 2-0. I just think we will have too much for them. I am hoping Moyes sticks with Yakubu and that Arteta is back. If Arteta isn't yet fit, we should put Bily in the middle and tell him to shoot when within range.

Yak and Bily to score

"Tony Pulis faces a selection headache as he sweats on the fitness of record signing Kenwyne Jones and winger Jermaine Pennant ahead of this clash.

Both are victims of the sickness bug that has swept through the Stoke camp with the Trinidadian taken off due to the illness in Wednesday’s Carling Cup clash with West Ham."

We really need to push on from our recent unbeaten run, I have a degree in stating the bleeding obvious. The form we are in is breeding confidence in the players and importantly back to us. Boldly I shall predict a 2-0 victory.

Totally agree but all things being Everton thats precisely why I have a horrible feeling we might mess this up!

Head-to-head

• Stoke have not beaten Everton sinceDecember 1982 - a run of nine games.

• This is the 117th meeting between thesides. Everton lead by 57 wins to 29, with 30 draws.

Everton

• Everton are unbeaten in four leaguegames.

• It's 33 games since Everton lost by morethan one goal (a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool last November).

• Tim Cahill is one goal short of 50 in thePremier League.

• Phil Neville will be making his 600thclub career appearance, while Leighton Baines will be making his 100th PremierLeague appearance for Everton.

Stoke

• Stoke's extra-time Carling Cup defeat atWest Ham on Wednesday was their third loss in a row.

• Stoke have trailed at half-time in eightof their nine league matches this season.

• Stoke have hit the woodwork seven timesin the Premier League this season, more than any other team.

• Danny Higginbotham - who signed aone-year contract extension this week - could make his 100th league appearancefor Stoke

Another fact that was on the BBC site:

Everton took until the turn of the year tohit top form last season, climbing from 15th on Christmas Day to eighth by theend of the campaign.

Edited by Matt

Everton team to face Stoke: Howard, Neville, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Heitinga, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Yakubu, Coleman

Subs: Mucha, Hibbert, Bilyaletdinov, Saha, Beckford, Gueye, Rodwell.

edit: thats one hell of a good team on paper. Good to see Rodwell on the bench too...

Stoke: Begovic, Huth, Shawcross, Faye, Collins, Walters, Whitehead, Wilson, Etherington, Sanli, Jones. Subs: Nash, Higginbotham, Whelan, Gudjohnsen, Pennant, Delap, Wilkinson.

Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)

Edited by Matt

I say that alot, "alreet me 'ode", was up 'anley dook last night infact...had myself a Frankie n Bennies! ahaaar.

Ha ha up 'anley dook. Have you ever been to the Cultural Quarter in Hanley?! I've seen the sign posts but I think it just involves taking 4 right turns. Theres nothing cultural about a kebab house and a job centre.