IGNORED

Coleman

So now that Coleman has starting getting a run of games, after being hyped so much, what do people think about his progress?

Personally I think that he did well in patches against Liverpool, but has been fairly poor the last few games. However, he may have been disapointing but we have been picking up points with him in the team. He still far from the finished product but shows glimpses of brilliance, one thing though I think we can all tell that it's going to take a little more time and perhaps Moyes caution with brining him in can be justified.

n a side note I would like to see Gueye start getting some game time from the bench. I think he could offer us something different, perhaps if we take Coleman off again from the wing it would be good to see Gueye given a run?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not a winger and you can see that I think. His future is definitely at full back. But with Neville playing so well at the moment, I would seriously be doubting Moyes's sanity if he dropped Neville to play Coleman.

One thing that I think should be considered is the experience Coleman is getting playing in midfield. He's playing Premier League football week in, week out and that can only be good for his development. Out wide he has a bit of time to think about how he'll use the ball, he has the opportunity to defend players like Bale, Cole and Etherington but he doesn't have the responsibility of being the last line of defence. Added to that he has a fantastic role model and captain in Neville right beside him to learn from.

I think he'll be a much more rounded and accomplished full back for playing in midfield. I think Baines did the same thing at both Wigan and here when learning?

Having said that I'd love to see Gueye given a chance as well!

So, this is a difficult one. On one hand he cost £60,000 and looks good for the money...but...the last few games he has just looked like a boy playing amongst men. Now I really like him and every part of me is willing him on even when he makes mistakes but he is clearly out of his depth playing as a winger. However, game time will help him improve...

I would prefer to see Pienaar on the right wing and Gueye on the left.

He's not a winger and you can see that I think. His future is definitely at full back. But with Neville playing so well at the moment, I would seriously be doubting Moyes's sanity if he dropped Neville to play Coleman.

One thing that I think should be considered is the experience Coleman is getting playing in midfield. He's playing Premier League football week in, week out and that can only be good for his development. Out wide he has a bit of time to think about how he'll use the ball, he has the opportunity to defend players like Bale, Cole and Etherington but he doesn't have the responsibility of being the last line of defence. Added to that he has a fantastic role model and captain in Neville right beside him to learn from.

I think he'll be a much more rounded and accomplished full back for playing in midfield. I think Baines did the same thing at both Wigan and here when learning?

I couldn't agree more with what is said here. However I would add that Colemans inexperience may find him out. True he did play well against Liverpool but I think he has been found wanting since. Certainly against Stoke he kept moving inside, worked once against Liverpool and may be tactical move, but once there he kept losing the ball. I feel if he is going to play there he should be staying wide and getting to the bye line. Still it's good to se hime get some games under his belt and it can only help in his improvement.

Yeah he wasn't great against Spurs and Stoke but let's not start questioning whether he's good enough ffs! Remember how long it took Bale to establish himself in the side at Spurs? Tactically and defensively Seamus may not be the finished product but he has a lot to his game to admire, he's about the only player in the current starting line up prepared to run at defenders for a start, plus he gets his head up and can pick a pass. I think given the recent run of injuries we've had he's been a real asset and given us an option in a problem position. Yeah i'd agree he perhaps needs a rest, and yeah I'd like to see Gueye given a go, but keep up the good work Seamus, I think for his first real run in the first team he's not disgraced himself at all.

Id be tempted to play the lad against Blackpool he was on loan there last season and i think he could return to haunt Holloway!! Considering he was playing in a different position in the irish league just over 18 months ago the lads done us proud, we should be gettin behind the kid not questioning his worth!

Id be tempted to play the lad against Blackpool he was on loan there last season and i think he could return to haunt Holloway!! Considering he was playing in a different position in the irish league just over 18 months ago the lads done us proud, we should be gettin behind the kid not questioning his worth!

Dont think anybody is questioning his talent, maybe just being a bit over protective.

I would also play him this weekend smeg. ;)

I agree with a lot of the comments on here regarding the fact that while he hasn't set the world alight, he has certainly been a breath of fresh air since Donovan left...

I too think he needs to stay out wider and give us the width to let the likes of yak, cahill & the arteta find space. I think he has in some way been a victim of his own success as opposition defenders seem to be doubling up and getting tighter to him recently!

Wow, Coleman must have lots of parental guardians...

I would be tempted to play Coleman pretty much most of our games, but only at right back.

If we bought a young right back for £6m and stuck him on the right wing he would get the same critique from me as someone who cost £60,000. After all they are occupying a position in our starting 11. :)

It seems Moysey has noticed his recent dip in form as well

"It is getting Seamus the games, and there is a lot of competition at right-back here. I think it has been good for his development and in time when he does step back, hopefully he will have learned from it."

Moyes added: "Blackpool played a big part in his development because he went there and played in a team which was successful.

"He has done fine but he has just had a little dip in the last week or two and we will need to assess exactly where we think he is."

Seamus will get his senior Ireland debut at right back against Norway on the 17th.

Trapattoni indicated that Coleman will win a first cap on the night and drew a comparison with Gareth Bale, just like Everton boss David Moyes had done earlier in the day as he pointed out how the natural full-back has thrived in a wide role. Still, the Irish boss would like to try out Coleman in his preferred right-full position. "I wish to try him as a defender," he said. "He can go forward. I do not forbid my players from going across the halfway line. You can ask them. I say: 'Go forward and make a cross'. But if the No 2 goes forward to make a cross then, obviously, I look for the midfielder to stay."

Source: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-wont-bend-to-agents-demands-2409870.html

Slightly off topic but his former club (Sligo Rovers) won the FAI cup yesterday on Pens, it was the strangest pen shootout i have ever seen with the Sligo keeper saving 4 pens, Sligo won the shootout 2-0 after i think it was 9 pens (in total). Also the Sligo manager is a scouser.

Slightly off topic but his former club (Sligo Rovers) won the FAI cup yesterday on Pens, it was the strangest pen shootout i have ever seen with the Sligo keeper saving 4 pens, Sligo won the shootout 2-0 after i think it was 9 pens (in total). Also the Sligo manager is a scouser.

yeah i saw the shootout, was pretty hilarious

This is the first time I've seen Trap roundly criticised by everybody in Irish football. The fans are voting with their feet. No longer can we use the excuse that we don't have the players.... When you have the likes of James McCarthy, Seamus Coleman and Shane Long available to you. They may not be the best players in the world, but they're fast, adventurous and great to watch.

Irish fans know that we'll never win anything - we just want to see good football.

This is the first time I've seen Trap roundly criticised by everybody in Irish football. The fans are voting with their feet. No longer can we use the excuse that we don't have the players.... When you have the likes of James McCarthy, Seamus Coleman and Shane Long available to you. They may not be the best players in the world, but they're fast, adventurous and great to watch.

Irish fans know that we'll never win anything - we just want to see good football.

I know it is unlikely, but I don't agree on not winning anything. Sooner or later mate sooner or later. Denmark won the European Championship after all.

Everton supporter too Ian. I pity ya ;)

• 3 weeks later...