IGNORED

If Not Him, Then Who?

jcrawfor

bored of this now. Last 20 matches we havent performed but look at the run at the end of last season. We're talking about the same players and tactics that from Jan through May finished 3rd in the league behind Chelsea and Utd, stats wise. Yeah, hes looong lost the plot, doesnt know what he is doing, yadda fuckin yadda. :rolleyes: Theres a reason he is one of the best paid managers in the league, its because he is one of the best managers in the league. Theres a reason why he is sticking to his tactics, because theyre proven and have worked consistently. Theres a reason why he is sticking with his underperformers, because theyve proven they can be fantastic. It is the people on the pitch that need to do the job. It is that simple.

I dont think they are the same tactics. Formation is very similar but we are undeniably stale going forward. No movement, no pace, no one willing to run with the ball (except Coleman)& no one willing to have a pop. In defence we are slow to close down, we give teams to much time on the ball, for the most part of this season we have had no-one playing a proper holding role.

Thats what annoys me most. If we watched back the tapes of the Arsenal (a), Chelsea (h) Man City (h) and Man utd (h) as well as Liverpool this season you could see how we need to play and the two big home results were with Osman as the holding midfielder!

We can play well, we have played well but we seem to be looking at the tapes of the begining of last season instead...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're quite dense, that bullshit argument is exactly what my post tried to unravel.

dense 'ey? wow, im offended... luckily we played the best game of the season just after so I will take the opportunity to sit back smuggly. Add to that there are so many holes in your counter arguement and i just cant be arsed picking them all out.

Oh, and im well aware that 1 result doesnt prove my point but i have faith. DM and the boys will prove me right in the long term. Faith and loyalty go a long way.

Not into personal insults, turns threads into slanging matches, we are all here because we support the same club, we don't have to agree, nor should we be offended or respond with insults when someone has a different "opinion".

Regardless, my take on the other night was that it was a "long" time coming, yes we beat Man City, but it was far from convincing.

I stated before the match that it may take our player of the year (up to now) to go away for Moyes to address the clear imbalance in the team. I have though for a long long time that Cahill depsite being a talisman, hero, and just all round good egg is not the way forward for our team. It is unfortunate that the role he best plays involves sitting infront of a creative midfielder (Arteta....ahem) and behind a big striker (Saha and Yak)- and I believe that this is where we are stifled. His inclusion seems to slow down the speed of our attack and efficiency through the middle, it is no coincidence that most of his goals come from when the play has been switched out wide, the other night the goals came from attacks through the middle.

Whilst I believe that there is no one better than Cahill in stealing a yard and nipping in to score headers, the formation is not good for the likes of arteta, fellaini and the strikers, he occupies alot of the room they work in and need to often go through him. Playmaking is not his game.

I look forward to another 4-4-2 in the F.A cup, it may well be the game that results in 4 or 5 goals being scored, whereas usually we face the anxiety of hoping we grab a goal and hold on against a team who are running every blade of grass.

Not into personal insults, turns threads into slanging matches, we are all here because we support the same club, we don't have to agree, nor should we be offended or respond with insults when someone has a different "opinion".

Regardless, my take on the other night was that it was a "long" time coming, yes we beat Man City, but it was far from convincing.

I stated before the match that it may take our player of the year (up to now) to go away for Moyes to address the clear imbalance in the team. I have though for a long long time that Cahill depsite being a talisman, hero, and just all round good egg is not the way forward for our team. It is unfortunate that the role he best plays involves sitting infront of a creative midfielder (Arteta....ahem) and behind a big striker (Saha and Yak)- and I believe that this is where we are stifled. His inclusion seems to slow down the speed of our attack and efficiency through the middle, it is no coincidence that most of his goals come from when the play has been switched out wide, the other night the goals came from attacks through the middle.

Whilst I believe that there is no one better than Cahill in stealing a yard and nipping in to score headers, the formation is not good for the likes of arteta, fellaini and the strikers, he occupies alot of the room they work in and need to often go through him. Playmaking is not his game.

I look forward to another 4-4-2 in the F.A cup, it may well be the game that results in 4 or 5 goals being scored, whereas usually we face the anxiety of hoping we grab a goal and hold on against a team who are running every blade of grass.

I was thinking about this aswell and agree 100% with your point, the question is if we stick with 4-4-2 whilst he is away and play well and start the winning streak we are all praying for will Moyes bring Cahill back to the team and change his approach? I hope it doesnt happen and Cahill has to battle it out with Arteta, Felli and Ossie for the central midfield slot.

The win over Man City, was a good result, but the performance other than the opening 20 minutes was far from good.Except maybe the fact that the lads defended well, even after Anichebe was sent off.

The win against a pretty good Spurs side was very different, but begs the question could/would we have still beaten them with Cahill?....that we will never know, will we.

I thought and stated it that, Moyes would obviously try a different route, and the lads would be willing to prove that without Cahill they were still a force.With Cahill we seem hit and miss, it can work or it just doesn't work out on the day, teams we should be beating with our squad are holding us for draws or worse.

Let's not get carried away and think, problem solved, just play 442 and were on our way into Europe, because we know we can get beat with 442 just as easily as with 451.

On our day with Cahill in his 'role', and with the right players around him, the striker on form, as well as Arteta and co, then we know we are a very good team....but at times this season, and it's as much down to the players as it is Moyes, we've looked pretty short on ideas playing that system.

With Caill away, we might just as well stick to 442, as there's no other player at Everton who plays 'that' role like he does.After all it did look good against Spurs.

When Cahill returns, then what!

I think Moyes needs to show some balls, like some have already said on here, if 442 is working do the unthinkable, drop Tim to at least the bench, we can change things around if we have to, how good would Tim be thrown forward fresh and willing in the last 15mins of a match if we were chasing a goal!

I'm on record as a Moyes/Kenwright man......but for the good of Everton David, show some balls, you can drop Jagielka, you can drop Arteta and you can drop Cahill.We have got a good squad, use the whole bloody thing, sometims change is good, Johny can play at the back, Coleman can keep running at people and Arteta might play better if he thinks he's not the king of the midfield.

I can see where some people think with this squad another manager might do well with it, but for me, for now, Moyes is still the man.

People moaning about Cahill's not being able to do much apart from the late runs into the box and score is abit harsh imo. He is the only player who ever looks like scoring. I agree we are limited when we play 4-5-1 but i think its not to do with accomodating cahill which slows our attacks down it is due to the lack of quality in the creative midfield area. I do not know what is up with Arteta, he has been woeful this season it seems like he has signed his contract and is not bothered. Constantly passes it sideways and never gets a move going now, its time to drop him and play rodwell who we all know has the ability to play in this role. I agree Moyes needs to get some balls and drop big player like arteta because they are not doing the job. I was impressed by the 4-4-2 formation against Spurs but we were constantly giving the ball away (mainly arteta) and looking susceptible on the counter. We looked dodgy at times and Saha is possibly the laziest striker i have seen and yes i have seen Yakubu. I still believe Moyes is the right man, although if i do have to critise him i would say his substitutions come way to late in the game and he needs to drop his big players ie Arteta and Jags. Give Beckford more starts and he will score! IMWT IBWT

He's not comparable as one of the best managers in the league as he is the longest tenured without winning anything. Not to say that we should have expected to win the league but his performance in cup runs bar a final and a semi has been poor. His performance against the top 4 managers has been poor also.

Theres not many managers in the league who have won anything, but just to re-iterate a point DM has been awared manager of the year a record three times by his fellow managers.

Maybe his fellow colleges see what he's done and doing even if the average person with the memory of a goldfish cant

As Dolly Parton once said, STAND BY YOUR MAN

Theres not many managers in the league who have won anything, but just to re-iterate a point DM has been awared manager of the year a record three times by his fellow managers.

Maybe his fellow colleges see what he's done and doing even if the average person with the memory of a goldfish cant

As Dolly Parton once said, STAND BY YOUR MAN

Tammy Wynette. ;)