IGNORED

Should Jags Come Straight Back In?

Matt

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2011/02/04/howard-kendall-phil-jagielka-has-to-come-back-in-to-everton-fc-team-100252-28112222/

I disagree with this completely to be honest. Jags should wait his turn, Johnny and Distin have a good partnership so why disrupt that. Johnny was frustrated before he got the chance and has been a great example to the rest by seizing the opportunity incredibly well. To drop him would send a bad message to the others in the team : "yes youve done very well but i have my favourites and youre not one of them". Brilliant message to send out....

You're right that it would send a bad message but I feel moyes has been doing that all season by playing arteta when hes been contributing next to nothing on the pitch. Unfortunately we can't seem to keep a clean sheet at all this season, regardless of whos playing at the back with distin so i reckon moyes could easily put jags back in. Hopefully he doesn't try play johnny H in centre mid again though cos we all know how that went!

I hope that Jags gets put on the bench. I want to see where the Distin/Heitinga partnership can go. Its a good thing that there are 3 strong options. It creates a competative situation where the players are pushed to perform.

Get Jags in as soon as one of the others does something horribly wrong.

It's a bit ridiculous of Kendall to compare Kevin Richardson (good back-up) to Heitinga (world cup finallist) to be honest.

Also differences between bringing back a unique creative genius (in an era when only one sub was allowed) and a quality stopper when we have two others settled together. Moyes has left Jags on the bench for the last two games so I don't see why this one will be any different....him coming on as sub at Arsenal is irrellevant.

I think it has to be time to drop Distin. I actually think he's played pretty well in the main this season but he still gets caught out playing people onside, he doesn't really throw himself in front of blocks (but hangs out an ineffective leg) and his partnerships with Jags and Heitinga haven't worked. Everyone keeps going on about our lack of goals but the reason we are doing so badly this season is the lack of clean sheets. Haven't we kept something like 1 clean sheet in 19 games? Since Distin has come into the team clean sheets have been virtually non existent. Jags/Yobo and Jags/Lescott were excellent. I know Moyes likes a left footer but it's quite frankly ridiculous that he doesn't try Heitinga and Jags together as to be perfectly blunt, our defensive record cannot get any worse.

We have a 5 man midfield yet still cannot keep clean sheets so something must be wrong. Everyone keeps going on about how amazing Fellaini is playing as well, I agree he's playing well but he's a defensive midfielder is he not? and yet we keep shipping goals all over the place, is he really playing as well as everyone thinks...

For me if we are to drop a CB it would be Distan - he is prone to more mistakes than Johny H. That said Moyes likes his left foot right foot combo to much for this to happen.

I think it has to be time to drop Distin. I actually think he's played pretty well in the main this season but he still gets caught out playing people onside, he doesn't really throw himself in front of blocks (but hangs out an ineffective leg) and his partnerships with Jags and Heitinga haven't worked. Everyone keeps going on about our lack of goals but the reason we are doing so badly this season is the lack of clean sheets. Haven't we kept something like 1 clean sheet in 19 games? Since Distin has come into the team clean sheets have been virtually non existent. Jags/Yobo and Jags/Lescott were excellent. I know Moyes likes a left footer but it's quite frankly ridiculous that he doesn't try Heitinga and Jags together as to be perfectly blunt, our defensive record cannot get any worse.

We have a 5 man midfield yet still cannot keep clean sheets so something must be wrong. Everyone keeps going on about how amazing Fellaini is playing as well, I agree he's playing well but he's a defensive midfielder is he not? and yet we keep shipping goals all over the place, is he really playing as well as everyone thinks...

I know he is prone to mistakes and becomes the whipping boy very easily, but Distin has been the rock of our defence this season and is only getting better. My whole point to this thread was that neither should be dropped just to make way for a favourite. After the Blackpool game though, I think Johnny shot himself in the foot and will be surprised if we see him again in his favoured role next game...

As for the comment on Felli, yes. yes he is that good and we would likely be sitting on the bottom of the table without the man.

Edited by Matt

For me if we are to drop a CB it would be Distan - he is prone to more mistakes than Johny H. That said Moyes likes his left foot right foot combo to much for this to happen.

Altho Heitinga did back out of a challenge for Bpools second, did you see the glee on the ex redshites faces when they pointed that out!

As for the comment on Felli, yes. yes he is that good and we would likely be sitting on the bottom of the table without the man.

really? I can't remember him creating too many goals, he's not scored in the league (has he?) and we keep letting in goals so I don't really see how he is the game changer for us. We did better last season without him didn't we?

He's playing well, no doubt, but we're letting in too many goals and his job is to protect the defence. At least it should be anyway.

really? I can't remember him creating too many goals, he's not scored in the league (has he?) and we keep letting in goals so I don't really see how he is the game changer for us. We did better last season without him didn't we?

He's playing well, no doubt, but we're letting in too many goals and his job is to protect the defence. At least it should be anyway.

we are talking about this guy, but with more hair, right? :

MarouaneFellaini_1507230.jpg

we are talking about this guy, but with more hair, right? :

MarouaneFellaini_1507230.jpg

just trying to bring a bit of realism here. He's been one of our best players but I can't help feel that some of the praise has been a little ott. His job is to protect the defence and we can't buy a clean sheet. When he was out last season and Arteta was controlling the midfield then we looked a better team, although I can't figure out why they haven't gelled so far, on paper I think we have about the best midfield in the premiership with Arteta and Fellaini but for some reason Arteta hasn't been able to get forward and get involved and the midfield is a little pedestrian whereas last season there was a zip to our play.

I love Fellaini but we need to keep clean sheets and I don't think all the blame can be laid against the defence, sometimes there seems to be huge gaping holes in front of the back four where the opposition midfield can just run at our defence or shoot at will.

Are you serious?

Yep, I guess gaining and maintaining possession is a seriously over rated attribute.

I thought Arteta's poor season was down to him playing badly, giving the ball away numerous times etc, it didn't dawn on me it was Felli's fault....

Edited by Hafnia2

Distin haters still knocking about, this season (minus the united game) he's proven he deserves his place in our defence, to drop him now would be ridiculous!

As for the 'won't throw himself into a block' I've got most games this season d/loaded onto my pc, I'll put a little montage together for you of you'd like.

He's been our best CB this season and still the haters knock him! He's big, strong, good in the air and relatively composed on the ball!

I don't know how much truth there is in what the guy sat infront of me on Saturday said I've not really thought bout it before but he said "we miss Jagielka because of the way he organises the defence, heitinga and distin look lost without him playing with them"

Whatever the problem with our defence there is one that's for sure, facts don't lie and we've not kept a clean sheet for a good while!

Given our lack of width is this a shout for us to change formation and play 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1

RWB - Coleman

LWB - Bainess

CB - Jags

CB - Hettinga

CB Distan

CM - Felli

CM - Areta

CM - Billy / Nev / Ossie / Cahilk

CF / AM - Cahill / Beckford

CF - Saha

Just a thought, and i know it wont happen

Given our lack of width is this a shout for us to change formation and play 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1

RWB - Coleman

LWB - Bainess

CB - Jags

CB - Hettinga

CB Distan

CM - Felli

CM - Areta

CM - Billy / Nev / Ossie / Cahilk

CF / AM - Cahill / Beckford

CF - Saha

Just a thought, and i know it wont happen

Like it.

3-5-2 worked well for the Reds yesterday, I would have Heitinga sitting behind Jags and Distin (play the quarterback)

apart from Baines and Coleman shifting forward, I would have Arteta, Felli and Rodders in the middle, the king upfront.

Like it.

3-5-2 worked well for the Reds yesterday, I would have Heitinga sitting behind Jags and Distin (play the quarterback)

apart from Baines and Coleman shifting forward, I would have Arteta, Felli and Rodders in the middle, the king upfront.

Missed Rodders off, i would have rodders or Cahill acting as support for Saha and Arteta, Felli and Billy in the middle or swap Billy and Rodders - the good thing is we have options even with the small squad. At least we would have a bit of pace going forward with Coleman and Bainess as wing backs.

I know he is prone to mistakes and becomes the whipping boy very easily, but Distin has been the rock of our defence this season and is only getting better. My whole point to this thread was that neither should be dropped just to make way for a favourite. After the Blackpool game though, I think Johnny shot himself in the foot and will be surprised if we see him again in his favoured role next game...

And Distin fucked up, not once but twice, for their third goal. So should we expect to see Distin dropped as well?

I agree that neither should be dropped but I would be interested to see how a heits/jags partnership worked. Heitinga could easily play on the left as he is as two footed as they come for a CB. I guess Moyes' worry is height and pace. Height isnt a problem for me but pace might be, although thinking about it Jags is pretty rapid.

Edited by Bailey

Altho Heitinga did back out of a challenge for Bpools second, did you see the glee on the ex redshites faces when they pointed that out!

I think based on that, jags will start v Bolton, i really do think that will happen.

I think maybe Moyes is just looking for an oppurtunity to get the guy back on the field, he has came on as subs in both are last 2 games, god knows why he came on at right back v arsenal the other week though.

I think based on that, jags will start v Bolton, i really do think that will happen.

I think maybe Moyes is just looking for an oppurtunity to get the guy back on the field, he has came on as subs in both are last 2 games, god knows why he came on at right back v arsenal the other week though.

Probably just to give him some time towards match fitness.