IGNORED

Sunderland (Home)

Romey 1878

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, you guys think that first half was a good perfomance? C´mon, you cant be that result oriented?

We have certianly been better than we have been but we still look very dodgy at the back and I suspect that will get worse with Felli off the pitch. We need to kill the game off.

Seriously, you guys think that first half was a good perfomance? C´mon, you cant be that result oriented?

They've had one decent effort, where Howard pulled off a class save. Other than that they've not had much whereas we've played some nice football and got into dangerous areas. As ever, we've not made some of the right choices in the final 3rd but I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, far from it.

I think we were playing nice football. Saha keeps turning their defenders and Beckford's runs are dangerous. I just can't believe how shaky our defence is. Sunderland are playing crap and they still create chances out of nothing. I don't want to think about how this game could have gone if Richardson scored early on (one of those moments where we defended awfully).

They've had one decent effort, where Howard pulled off a class save. Other than that they've not had much whereas we've played some nice football and got into dangerous areas. As ever, we've not made some of the right choices in the final 3rd but I wouldn't say it was a bad performance, far from it.

Im not saying theres only good perfomances or bad and thats my point. We werent playing wery well, no doubt we still were better and lucky enought to grab 2 goals. But my point is that we didnt actually have to do almost nothing to lead 2-0. Sunderland were absolutely crap first half, and i honestly hope they will keep continue on that way.

edit: and i think they had 2 good chances. Im very happy that richardson tryed something way hard to him, and that Howard got bit of his hands infront off sessegnons shot.

Edited by LexKing

Think Seamus needs a rest.

Ive been thinking of this for a while, but who could replace him? And tbh im bit worried that after he got "applauds" to be brave enought to get Nev working harder, he has been seem to shout every games and almost evry1. Like today for Becks, actually no reason, no player in the world doesnt know everytime what teammate has on his minds. Young player bit too much feets off the ground? Dunno, and surely hope not.

Holy shit....a clean sheet :o !

Routine win, nothing special but the sort of result we should expect against a team like Sunderland at Goodison.

The sort of win we should have had against Wigan, Bolton, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves and West Brom....but we didn't...and that's cost us fourteen points.

Onwards and upwards though, we're in the top half and sixth is still a realistic goal.

Well a much better performance and we could have scored a hatfull. We looked very confident going forward and hopefully we continue that into the future. The defence still looks shakey at times which for me comes when we sit too deep as we just invite them on to us.

Howard made one critical save but apart from that was a spectator.

Neville was solid

Jags was really good for me today. He was reading the game superbly and he did really well with intercepts and covering. Keep it up.

Distin was solid

Baines was up and down all game long. His crossing radar was a little off at times today though.

Felli was solid until he came off

Arteta was very good and the way he set up Beckfords second was brilliant. Its exactly what we have missed from him.

Osman was my MOTM. He was everywhere, some of it didnt come off and he could have scored a hattrick. His close control is fantastic but he just needs to find a level of consistency imo.

Coleman was out of sorts. He wasnt rubbish but most things were sloppy. Needs a break.

Beckford & Saha actually played like a strike partnership today and it was brilliant to see. Between them they scared the shit out of Sunderlands back four and Beckford was rewarded with 2 goals. Shame it looks like he might be out for a couple of games now.

Rodwell was very good when he came on for Felli, he have a couple of sloppy passes which were unnecessary but everything else was done well. He bullied the Sunderland midfield a little at times.

Cahill did quite well. Kept the pressure on the Sunderland back four and midfield.

Bily didnt have anytime to really do anything but could have scored an awesome goal. Should probably get the run out ahead of Coleman against Reading.

Moyes did pretty well also. The Rodwell choice was a good one and while I think he could have experimented a litle with the 2nd and 3rd subs, they were also solid choices.

Game has ended, we got deservedly(not sure even there is a word like this in english) 3p, clean sheet. All you can ask. Still im sayin we didnt play great. Sunderland were just totally awful today. No doubt, we need 3p and i love it. BUt the perfomance werent imo anything than ok. Becks did 2 goals, both shots were lame, but, hey they went in. He and Saha upfront are a threat. Saha did lot of things correct today, even he didnt sem to be full fit and it took him a while to get back in the rhythm. Howard had that one time he did to do hes jobs, it was all about his fingernails that sessegnons shot didnt go to the net. I am happy. Distin were good today, as well was Jags as his partner. First half we couldnt get our wings working correctly, baines ans seamus weret at their best today. Sahs did good job, won headers ans did hold up the ball and made space for Becks up there. And yes Mikel were good today, happy too see that. We werent great today, but got what we earned from awful sunderland. Delightful 3p anyway. COYB!

btw: if some1 thinks why i am so negative, hey im finnish:

We need to improve and get more attitude on tuesday. But im not so depressing atm than i were after bolton game. Now we have 2 huge results for us in a row.

ps. im very curious to see Romeys wiew of the game, it might be the first time he has seen game different way than i have.

I think we've played a lot better than that this season and taken nothing from the game so the fact that didn't play to our best and took the 3 points and a clean sheet is extremely pleasing. I'm not for a second saying we were poor, because we weren't poor by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it was a very professional performance. We didn't need to go through the gears for this one and just got the job done. I also liked that it was a real team performance rather than an individual doing the business for us.

We still allowed the opposition a bit too much time on the ball by not pressuring, but fortunately Sunderland were pretty poor and our defence, on the whole, was solid (mainly because of Jags IMO). I felt like he was the glue in that partnership in the centre of our defence, I noticed a few times that he mopped up for Distin. So glad to have the real Jags back, I've missed him.

Howard - Wasn't needed for most of the game but when he was needed he pulled a stunning save. If that'd have gone in the game could have gone a very different way for us.

Neville - Much better from Nev today. He got forward well and looked a lot more alert defensively.

Jagielka - The brick wall Jags was back today. His performance can be pretty much summed up in 4 words - You Shall Not Pass. That's the Jags from before his injury problems. He really made our CB pairing a partnership today, rather than 2 quality individuals. He mopped up behind Distin on numerous occasions, threw himself in the way of everything, won header after header. My MOTM, because we've missed that solidity at the back and he brought it today.

Distin - Generally I thought he was solid but at times he seemed unaware of what was around him.

Baines - Got forward well but, like has been said by others, his crossing was a bit off today. I thought he was solid defensively though which makes up for that.

Coleman - Made a couple of good runs but mostly he was poor tbh. I think he needs a rest if I'm honest, he looks very tired far too early in games atm.

Arteta - Well hello there Mikel, it's so nice to see you again! I thought he was absolutely superb today and a performance like that is why I've found him so frustrating this season and why I've been hard on his performances. He ran our midfield right from the off and when we needed him to do it even more once Felli went off he stepped up to the plate and didn't hide. Yes he dropped deep to take the ball from the defence but he also drove forward on numerous occasions, the best coming when he set up Beckford. Exquisite. What I really liked about him today is that he was really getting stuck in and hounding Sunderland's midfield to get the ball.

Fellaini - Solid until he had to come off. Hope it's nothing serious.

Osman - I thought he looked crap when he stayed out wide because he's not good when he's closely marked out there. But whenever he drifted inside, and when he was actually moved into the middle, I thought he looked very good. When you give Ossie room he can realy hurt you and that's what he did to Sunderland. He showed silky skills at times, those feet of his are magic when he's on it like that today. It's just a shame he couldn't top it off with a goal.

Beckford - Today is what Beckford is all about for me, he's a real fox in the box. You put the ball on a plate for him like we did today and he will bang in the goals no bother. And once again, his movement is top quality, it really is. If he could develop a bit more composure infront of goal he could because Moyes' best pound for pound signing. I'm so glad I'm being proven wrong about him, he's impressing me more and more. I hope he can recover to play against Reading because I think he could get a couple more against them.

Saha - In the first half he was quite simply majestic in all honesty. When Saha is on it like that his play is actually quite beautiful tbh, it all just seems to come so easy to him and everything just sticks. That's what we got in the first half and he was top drawer. In the second half though I thought his time out of the team caught up with him and he tird quite badly. But even then he didn't stop working like we've seen him do in the past.