IGNORED

Sunderland (Home)

Romey 1878

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday gave a real insight in to just what Neville brings to the side.

In the last 20 minutes or so of the second half when the atmosphere in the ground was really flat all you could here was Phil Nevilles voice constantly barking out orders and encouragement to the rest of the side, and I was sat in the Park End completely the opposite side of the ground to him!

Bit of and odd game for me. I thought we were apalling fofr the first 15 minures or so, despite the goal. Then we seemed to settle down and play some good stuff.

Then all of a sudden Sunderland hit the bar and the game seemed to swing back there way until Becks got his second

We made a lively start to the second half and should have had a couple more goals but then the game just seemed to fizzle out

As has been said we have played much better than this and lost this season so Im not complaining!

Good movement from the front 2 and low and behold Arteta has a good game

I think we've played a lot better than that this season and taken nothing from the game so the fact that didn't play to our best and took the 3 points and a clean sheet is extremely pleasing. I'm not for a second saying we were poor, because we weren't poor by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it was a very professional performance. We didn't need to go through the gears for this one and just got the job done. I also liked that it was a real team performance rather than an individual doing the business for us.

We still allowed the opposition a bit too much time on the ball by not pressuring, but fortunately Sunderland were pretty poor and our defence, on the whole, was solid (mainly because of Jags IMO). I felt like he was the glue in that partnership in the centre of our defence, I noticed a few times that he mopped up for Distin. So glad to have the real Jags back, I've missed him.

Howard - Wasn't needed for most of the game but when he was needed he pulled a stunning save. If that'd have gone in the game could have gone a very different way for us.

Neville - Much better from Nev today. He got forward well and looked a lot more alert defensively.

Jagielka - The brick wall Jags was back today. His performance can be pretty much summed up in 4 words - You Shall Not Pass. That's the Jags from before his injury problems. He really made our CB pairing a partnership today, rather than 2 quality individuals. He mopped up behind Distin on numerous occasions, threw himself in the way of everything, won header after header. My MOTM, because we've missed that solidity at the back and he brought it today.

Distin - Generally I thought he was solid but at times he seemed unaware of what was around him.

Baines - Got forward well but, like has been said by others, his crossing was a bit off today. I thought he was solid defensively though which makes up for that.

Coleman - Made a couple of good runs but mostly he was poor tbh. I think he needs a rest if I'm honest, he looks very tired far too early in games atm.

Arteta - Well hello there Mikel, it's so nice to see you again! I thought he was absolutely superb today and a performance like that is why I've found him so frustrating this season and why I've been hard on his performances. He ran our midfield right from the off and when we needed him to do it even more once Felli went off he stepped up to the plate and didn't hide. Yes he dropped deep to take the ball from the defence but he also drove forward on numerous occasions, the best coming when he set up Beckford. Exquisite. What I really liked about him today is that he was really getting stuck in and hounding Sunderland's midfield to get the ball.

Fellaini - Solid until he had to come off. Hope it's nothing serious.

Osman - I thought he looked crap when he stayed out wide because he's not good when he's closely marked out there. But whenever he drifted inside, and when he was actually moved into the middle, I thought he looked very good. When you give Ossie room he can realy hurt you and that's what he did to Sunderland. He showed silky skills at times, those feet of his are magic when he's on it like that today. It's just a shame he couldn't top it off with a goal.

Beckford - Today is what Beckford is all about for me, he's a real fox in the box. You put the ball on a plate for him like we did today and he will bang in the goals no bother. And once again, his movement is top quality, it really is. If he could develop a bit more composure infront of goal he could because Moyes' best pound for pound signing. I'm so glad I'm being proven wrong about him, he's impressing me more and more. I hope he can recover to play against Reading because I think he could get a couple more against them.

Saha - In the first half he was quite simply majestic in all honesty. When Saha is on it like that his play is actually quite beautiful tbh, it all just seems to come so easy to him and everything just sticks. That's what we got in the first half and he was top drawer. In the second half though I thought his time out of the team caught up with him and he tird quite badly. But even then he didn't stop working like we've seen him do in the past.

Nuff said

• 3 months later...

I know Sunderland are having a bit of a poor run and some of their players maybe out of form but Rodwell looked in a different league to Henderson when he came on - Henderson didn't impress me at all.

Quoting this on my fb, swear these kopites have not seen him play there all over the moon