IGNORED

The Big "How Should We Line Up" Topic

One of Hafnia's posts in the "Daily Mail: Everton in crisis?" topic urged me to open this topic.

I want the club to be in the hands of those who can allow us to relax, be fans, not worry about boardroom politics and spend majority of posts talking about best formations, pretend that we are football managers, who to buy, who to drop etc etc.

I figured we might not be able to suggest buying this or that player, but we can still discuss how we should line up. Hence, this thread.

My starting 11 would be:

Howard

Coleman Heitinga Distin Baines

Fellaini

Rodwell Arteta

Osman

Beckford Saha

As we have no natural wingmen in the squad, I opted for a 4-4-2 with a diamond formation. That way no one has to play out of position on the wing. Of course, we do need width in the team. And that's why i opted for Coleman instead of Neville at right back. Seamus and Baines are attacking full backs that can push forward to provide width. Fellaini just has to stay in position, maybe drop in between Heitinga and Distin when Coleman and Baines are bombing forward, much like Sergi Busquets does at Barcelona. Heitinga and Distin are my first choice centre back pair. Heitinga can provide bite and good distribution. Distin has got power and pace and is decent with the ball at his feet as well. Rodwell, Arteta and Osman have got the technical qualities to create chances and I think all three of them can chip in with a few goals this season. The diamond also allows us to field two strikers. I think Beckford and Saha are the two most obvious names for those positions. Saha can come into the ball while Beckford makes runs in behind using his pace.

I think all the other players we have in the squad fit nicely into that formation as well:

Mucha

Hibbert Jagielka Yobo Garbutt

Neville

Barkley Bily

Cahill

Anichebe Yakubu

Of course, if Coleman was injured but Fellaini can play, I'd just play Neville at right back instead of Hibbert, but that line up just serves to show we have a decent replacement in the squad for every position. I'd start giving Garbutt some game time in the Cups and even when Baines is injured or suspended. Hibbert can cover there as well if Garbutt shows he isn't ready to step up yet. If a good offer comes in for Jagielka I'd just sell him and have Duffy or Mustafi fill the void on the bench. Gueye and Vellios are other striking options (and I think a duo that could work very well together). Gueye in particular has something about him IMO.

I think this would work better:

--------------Howard----------------

Coleman-Heitinga-Distin-Baines

Barkley?-Rodwell-Felliani-Arteta

-----------------Osman----------------

----------------Saha/or Vellios-------

Edit: or

-------------------Howard--------------

Coleman-Heitinga-Distin-Baines

Arteta-Rodwell-Fellaini-Osman

-----------------Barkley--------------

--------------Vellios/Saha----------

Edited by the_everton_way

From what I have seen so far, Anichebe has to be starting and preferably with Beckford to run off him.

I just don't think Coleman is ready for a starting position at right back (or playing there in general).

Nearly benched Rodwell for Heitinga, in fact I'll move on before I change my mind.

Barkley looks good and needs to play as the creative player behind the strikers, but he is young and needs game time. Osman would bring better experience to the role.

Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

Fellaini

Rodwell Arteta

Barkley/Osman (really can't decide)

Beckford Anichebe

are we even going to see saha,he was supposed to be fit again,theres something wrong with his head,we cant build a team around a player who is always injured.

That is why Vellios is there :)

Except for saha I believe Vellios could do the best up there because from what I have seen so far he is big,strong, has good hold up play, and is confident which is what we need.

I like the look of the first line up but worry that with the Premier League being prominant with fullbacks bombing forward that we would get overloaded outwide. After all it was Ancelottis main formation before he went to Chelsea but couldnt get it to work well enough and ended up playing with a 3 pronged attack. Which links me nicely into what I think Everton should do, which is precisely that, a three man attack (who drop deep if opposition full backs bomb forward), with the two main central midfielders getiing forward to support, Fellaini holding, and then the back 4 as normal. IF we need to sit back, the two wider attacking midfielders drop deeper and help defend, if we need to attack they move more centrally and more advanced. It can turn from the bog standard backs to the wall 4-5-1 we have been accustomed to over the years, then morph into the a 4-3-3 with two midfielders in close support.

I think it would suit our fringe strikers in some aspects (Vic, Gueye, to an extent Saha although not fringe, and possibly Bily) and it would also suit our core midfield players (Cahill, Arteta, Rodwell, Osman, Barklay) and our deep midfielders (Fellaini, Heitinga, Neville) and then the back four can play as normal, although I wouldn't use the pairing of Jags/Distin.

In the unlikely event that our squad is fully fit I would like to see something like this:

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Felliani Rodwell

Arteta Cahill Osman

Saha

Bench:

Mucha

Heitinga

Neville

Bilyaletdinov

Anichebe

Yakubu

Beckford

That isn't going to happen though and other than Yobo and Hibbert I don't think I have left out any established first team players so any more than one or two injuries (which is fairly inevitable at Everton) and we are reliant on youth players.

Personally I am quite happy with that though as I think the likes of Barkley, Baxter, Gueye, Duffy and Vellios are all pretty close to challenging and a bigger squad would limit there opportunities to play and ultimately progress.

From what I have seen and heard there a quite a few lads maybe not so close to breaking in to the first team (Hope, Lundstram, McAleny, Garbutt etc) with the potential to do so, and seeing the likes of Ross Barkley getting games and progressing will hopefully spur them on to do the same.

Edited by BoroBlue

In the unlikely event that our squad is fully fit I would like to see something like this:

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Felliani Rodwell

Arteta Cahill Osman

Saha

Bench:

Mucha

Heitinga

Neville

Bilyaletdinov

Anichebe

Yakubu

Beckford

That isn't going to happen though and other than Yobo and Hibbert I don't think I have left out any established first team players so any more than one or two injuries (which is fairly inevitable at Everton) and we are reliant on youth players.

Personally I am quite happy with that though as I think the likes of Barkley, Baxter, Gueye, Duffy and Vellios are all pretty close to challenging and a bigger squad would limit there opportunities to play and ultimately progress.

From what I have seen and heard there a quite a few lads maybe not so close to breaking in to the first team (Hope, Lundstram, McAleny, Garbutt etc) with the potential to do so, and seeing the likes of Ross Barkley getting games and progressing will hopefully spur them on to do the same.

I think that's normal. Most squads consist of about 18-20 proven players in addition to youngsters.

Normal for the teams who finished below us last season maybe but the teams who finished above us (call me an optimist but thats where I think we should be looking) all had to loan players out or leave them out of there 25 man squads last year where as we only have 18 players we need to register (Rodwell does not need to be registered as 21 or younger).

p.s. I have not done the necassary ground work to back up this claim and to be honest I can't be bothered but I think this was the case for most of if not all the teams who finished above us last year, I certainly remember talk of who would make it into the Tottenham, Man City and Man Utd squads, I'm just guessing with the others

For lower half teams really think Barkley will be useful at opening them up and creating more clear chances

————Howard

Neville Heitinga Distin Baines

————Fellaini

Arteta Barkley Bily Osman

————Saha

Think we should reserve Cahill for the big games

————Howard

Neville Heitinga Distin Baines

Coleman Arteta Fellaini Gueye

————Cahill

————Saha

It's all very well trying to say which formation will be best, but it still comes down to the tactics from Moyes in saying how we play, how to drag one of the oppositions central defenders out of position, to keep the ball from one particular player, to keep a tight line or not, diagonal ball against a short fullback etc etc etc.... and not to mention the lack of killer instinct in decision making, more so in a tight game.

We all have our own idea on how we should line up, but we all know how we will line up (and so do the opposition) - 451, no matter who we're playing, with the exact same tactics (get it to the wings, mainly the left, whip it in, knock it long hoping for a Cahill flick on to the lone striker, or to win a corner or throw in).

Yada yada.

We all have our own idea on how we should line up, but we all know how we will line up (and so do the opposition) - 451, no matter who we're playing, with the exact same tactics (get it to the wings, mainly the left, whip it in, knock it long hoping for a Cahill flick on to the lone striker, or to win a corner or throw in).

Yada yada.

Unfortunately I think your right. If Arteta, Cahill, Saha. Jags, Distin, Neville and Osman are all fit then they will play against Spurs. Im not necessarily saying that its a bad thing to have them players in your team but its very predictable as you can more or less nail down there starting positions as well. At least injuries keep our starting line up a surprise!

Then surely Moyes has gone backwards in terms of tactical thinking, or at the very least stood still?

I would say gone backwards. We used to be solid at the back and take a decent % of our chances. Last season we looked like we would conceed every time the opposition attacked.

I would say gone backwards. We used to be solid at the back and take a decent % of our chances. Last season we looked like we would conceed every time the opposition attacked.

Shows how much we missed Yobo last season

Edited by pete0

Baines had established himself as the LB long before Lescott had left. Lescott and Jags were our CB pairing, with Baines at LB.

Baines was only getting into the team because of injuries. If Jags, Yobo and Lescott were fit he was dropped. Yobo and Jags were are 1st choice cb pairing. Yobo was never 3rd choice cb behind Jags and Lescott, Moyes clearly considered Lescott as 1st choice LB.

Baines was only getting into the team because of injuries. If Jags, Yobo and Lescott were fit he was dropped. Yobo and Jags were are 1st choice cb pairing. Yobo was never 3rd choice cb behind Jags and Lescott, Moyes clearly considered Lescott as 1st choice LB.

That was true for the first half of the season that Baines came, but by the end of that year Baines was clearly his first choice CB with Lescott & Jags starting in the middle. It was only Lescott getting out of form the season after and Baines getting a few niggles that meant Lescott played LB a bit more and got his form back.